PDA

View Full Version : Typical Clients

miscellanydee
10-05-2010, 04:29 PM
I always seem to get hit with the same client.

Ones that want everything for nothing.

not just something for nothing.. EVERYTHING!

How do I restructure my business attitude to ensure that my clients seem i'm well worth a dime?

cbscreative
10-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Wow, broad question! For starters, when you quote a job, outline what's included, maybe even what's not. Have a clause or policy to deal with "feature creep." I personally do not discourage feature creep because it's completely understandable that a client might get further inspired by your ideas and say, "What if we did this...?" I can always say, "Sure, no problem, but it will cost..."

I've learned to address the issue right up front. I specify that if the "wish list" grows during the creative process, or additional work is requested that falls outside the scope of the original projections, I will advise of price differences before doing extra work. That way the client can determine if the difference is worth investing the money for. They're not locked down to a set price, but I don't do endless variations for free either.

As this thread gains discussion, I'm sure you'll receive more valuable insight.

Blessed
10-05-2010, 11:07 PM
I had the same problem when I started out - I fixed it doing exactly what Steve outlined.

Now I say - this job will cost $100 and that allows for 2 rounds of changes, every change after that is $x - and I charge it, especially for new customers, even if that third change is a 30 second change. If I have an established customer I'm working with and the third change is minor I'll normally waive that extra charge. This is different than the feature creep that Steve is talking about - it's for the specific part of the project - i.e. the business card design, etc... then as the features come in to play - Steve's "wish list" - I quote that the same day we talk about it. It's worked for me - you get a few good clients and they start talking to their friends and before long you get better clients!

vangogh
10-06-2010, 01:50 AM
I agree with Steve and Jenn. I always bring price into the conversation as early as possible. I'm not trying to give an exact price for the job, but I am trying to inject the idea that I will be charging for my work as early as possible. That typically sorts out who may become a client and had no intention of becoming a client. Mention price early and you generally won't hear from the people looking for free again.

With people who are going to become clients be very specific about what you're charging for so if there is a new request you can price it and let your client know how much additional it will cost to do the extra work.

Another thing is not to give too much for free in the first place. I used to reply with specifics to initial inquiries, but it only led to more questions. Now any advice I give in response to a question is general.

greenoak
10-06-2010, 07:48 AM
i would try and have a specific offer with boundaries...or even a rate sheet... with examples!!! examples from another client , real or imagined.... we are so visual....seeing your work would be great...also dont be shy about money... who has time to be guessing what you charge?....
it cant be; i can do anything what do you want....

Harold Mansfield
10-06-2010, 11:19 AM
I think it all has to do with your presentation. The kind of clients that I used to get when I first started are completely different from the type of clients that I get now. Dare I say that I have scared away the cheapskates and loo-e-loo's from even contacting me because I make things perfectly clear on my website ( which is where most of my contacts come from).

I compare it to the days when I drove a limo, When I first started out I had a hand full of moderately priced suits, and shoes, a cheap watch, and drove a 2-3 year old 6 passenger limo. At that time people would consistently try to barter with me on the price and expect all kinds of extra services for free because they deemed that I was a newer driver, not making much money and was desperate for the business.

When I started wearing $800 and up suits and shoes, more expensive accessories, and started driving a detailed, new model 10 passenger car, I didn't get those type of people approaching me anymore.

The perception people have of you is directly related to the respect that they give you. Of course you need to be able to back it up too.

KristineS
10-06-2010, 04:10 PM
You might also take a look at whatever material you're putting out there. Do you use words like cheap or bargain on your website? What does your printed material look like? Is it the best quality paper and printing that you can afford? Do you have professional business cards? It does come down to what eborg said, if you look like you're high end, people will get the message and behave accordingly. Little things can be very subtle cues. I'll give you an example.

We did a flyer that we used at trade shows. The first show we did we printed it on standard weight paper simply because we needed something fast. It was professionally designed and printed on our professional quality printer, but the paper was your standard thin paper. At that show we got a lot of people telling us our prices were high.

At the next show we used the exact same flyer and the exact same printer, but I upgraded the paper. I got a heavier weight, nicer feeling paper with a slightly smoother printing surface. At this show we got nothing but compliments on the flyer and also several comments about how reasonable our prices were. Now I can't claim that a simple change in paper weight was the only thing that caused a shift in attitude, but I'm never going back to the cheaper paper, even if it saves me a few bucks. Every thing gives customers a cue to how to treat you.

vangogh
10-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Good points. Everything you're describing Kristine is branding. What signals are you putting out there about yourself? How are people going to perceive those things. Use words like cheap and bargain and people will approach you looking for the lowest price possible. Use the least expensive paper and it sends a similar signal that you're all about low cost and low price.

On the other hand, upgrade to the best paper possible and you send out signals that you're about quality, you're about being the best and doing the best. You'll attract different customers and clients that way.