PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Digital Camera

KristineS
09-08-2008, 12:19 PM
I want to get an inexpensive camera and I'm looking for recommendations. Since so many people here do design and web work, I figured someone could direct me toward a good brand that does cost a lot of money.

It would just be for taking personal pictures.

Any advice would be appreciated. If you know of any good deals, that information would be helpful too.

Leatherneck
09-08-2008, 02:07 PM
We will have too get you a camera Kristine, so we can see your new pad. I was told that the Cannon 300 was a good camera for the price.

cbscreative
09-08-2008, 02:31 PM
I don't know what specifically to recommend since I've never had an inexpensive one I've been happy with, but I can say that Tiger Direct (www.tigerdirect.com) has a lot of choices, you can sort many different ways, and a lot of their products have customer reviews. I've often found the reviews to be very helpful, and I've been pleased with most of my purchases from them. I didn't buy my camera there though.

KristineS
09-08-2008, 08:44 PM
I'll check out Tiger Direct. Thanks for the tip.

billbenson
09-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Go to circuit city or best buy or even a mall camera shop and listen to their pitch. You will find some nerd that really knows cameras. Then buy it on line. I've used Tiger Direct but they usually do the rebate thing and I hit about 50% on getting rebates. geeks.com is a place I buy computer stuff from but they frequently have camera stuff as well. I have a sony I like. Don't remember what I paid though.

orion_joel
09-09-2008, 04:54 AM
The biggest problem i have found with inexpensive camera's is how many makers are starting to do away with the viewfinder in preference of the LCD screen only. While some people may find this easier, i personally think finding one with both is a better idea. Having the viewfinder and using it, tends to get a better picture i think. While i did start using the LCD for a little while, i found when i went back to the viewfinder i could keep the camera more stable when taking shots.

For the most part if you stick with a known brand like Sony, or Panasonic, then you should do alright even with the inexpensive models. The best idea i have found is look for clear out sales, where they have a new range coming into stock and they are cutting the price on the slightly older models, often you can get what was a mid range camera for the same price as the lower models were.