PDA

View Full Version : art decision

greenoak
10-02-2010, 09:25 AM
i have to make so many decisions that really count and i have no clue....heres todays....would love to hear your opinion...
christmas open house postcard.... pale and sophisticated or bright red ..... the red would look better on the fridge or their desk when its laying around...the pale one is really more beautiful and richer and shows one of our sections really well....
so red or pale?
my biggest hurdle nowdays is my new customers are so foriegn to me i dont know what they would prefer....under 40 moms with houses and money to spend...
????
thanks

2B-The-Best
10-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Greenoak, I have been doing a lot of polling (since I am a man) of woman age 28-56. (trying to get built a 6000sq ft beauty salon) and I have found with this group that your pale and sophisticated, woman will look at it as (let's say a decor) and might put it on their frig, but it won't remind them to come. As for the bright one, it will catch their eye (just like the other one) but will get pitched into the garbage. Now if you can somehow combined the 2 you know add the hint of that bright red on the pale, sophisticated one, you could have a win, win post card!! Hope that helps!!

Spider
10-02-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't think it makes any difference. The card is from you, sending greetings from you, and people come to you because you are you. Send the one you like best because that is what they want to see.

Most difficult decisions are easly dealt with by asking your heart. Your brain will have a million answers but your heart always only has one.

boogle
10-02-2010, 12:34 PM
The card is from you, sending greetings from you, and people come to you because you are you. Send the one you like best because that is what they want to see.

Spider nailed it. I will add to that statement the value of consistency. If what you like, what you normally do is bold and pops out, make no exception here. If the image you like and want to convey is conservative and subtle, that should answer your question. Your new customers prefer you, that is why they are your customers.

greenoak
10-02-2010, 05:49 PM
interesting....thanks....

KristineS
10-04-2010, 02:04 PM
I'd go with pale and sophisticated and beautiful and richer because to me that sounds like antiques and I believe that would appeal more to your target demographic. Plus, a lot of people use bright red and greens for their holiday notices since those are traditionally the holiday colors. You might have a better chance breaking through the clutter if you do something that isn't along those color lines.

Upstack
11-16-2010, 10:17 AM
All in all your brand image should attract your ideal client. Stay true to your brand and it should be in line with what your ideal client is looking for. If your brand wasn't created with your ideal client in mind, then you might have to figure out how to merge the two.

huggytree
11-19-2010, 07:10 PM
what i would do is make it Different...make it stand out on their fridge....it doesnt matter if its bright green or pale....make it look different than any other card they will get.

i make my fridge magnets and business cards with a blue water droplet background....most cards/magnets are white background....i can spot mine from accross the room when its on a fridge or thumb tacked up on a board....i put my card on big board at a local pizza place...there are 50 cards on that board...my kids can spot mine in less than 5 seconds

thats what your card should do......they will notice it over and over and think of YOU

I send Christmas cards with my family photo on the front...i want them to think of me as a family man....if they fire me i want them to think about my kids...i believe it works

jamesray50
11-19-2010, 07:59 PM
I am going to answer this from a perspective of someone who would receive an invitation. If it was for a holiday event then I would expect the invitation to be decorated for the holiday season. If it was something like a magnet to put on the frig, for Christmas, then red or green would be great for me, it would be another decoration to add to my kitchen. Or a postcard I could put on my frig with a magnet, but holiday looking. And to me, not all antiques mean pale and sophisticated. I also think of rich and bold when thinking of antiques. I love to know what you decide on. I hope you will share with us.

greenoak
11-19-2010, 11:49 PM
i agree jo ellen,,,antiques can be bold for sure...
....our event is over now and we did use the bold traditional red.... thinking it would show up better on the fridge or in the pile of mail.....i could see both ways....
. i hope it is like spider said ... it didnt matter a whole lot since they wanted to come because it was us....
art is so important....we get reminded of it every day at the store..... the better we display the better things sell.....and usually the better designed , whether furniture or a piece of pottery , the more its wanted.... i have to respect art so much...