PDA

View Full Version : GoDaddy's website tonight site builder

joeusa
09-08-2008, 10:00 AM
WT has great features and is easy to use but it is so slow.

cbscreative
09-08-2008, 10:46 AM
LOL, joe. That is also very typical of these types of products. User friendly, yes, but you need a LOT of patience. I've not used the WT (maybe they mean tonight if you start early in the day), but I've seen the code that other products like this generate, and it's usually quite hideous. It would be a long, uphill (maybe impossible) battle to ever show up in search engine results.

pete
09-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Terrible.

GoDaddy is great for domain names. Everything else they offer is over-priced and under-valued. The domain names are the bait to sell the junk. Like a mass merchandiser's loss leaders.

Dan Furman
09-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Terrible.

GoDaddy is great for domain names. Everything else they offer is over-priced and under-valued. The domain names are the bait to sell the junk. Like a mass merchandiser's loss leaders.

I actually haven't had a problem with their hosting. I use several hosts, so all of my eggs aren't in one basket, but theirs is as good as anyone's. As far as price, hosting is so cheap that it doesn't matter much - it's akin to driving around town looking to save 4 cents on gas.

cbscreative
09-08-2008, 12:39 PM
That's true, Dan, but it depends primarily on need. With a basic site, almost anything will do. With GoDaddy, as I understand their basic hosting, they have limits on email. For some users, that could be an issue, but at least I don't know of any security issues with them. I've seen some horrible things happen with poor security in hosting providers.

vangogh
09-09-2008, 12:31 AM
I've never used GoDaddy hosting, but I'd stay away from Website Tonight. A client of mine used it and the first thing I did was moved her away from it. They charged a premium and actually offered less than the basic hosting. The only so called advantage is not having to touch the code, but you could pay someone to make the same changes for less than what you pay to do it yourself.

orion_joel
09-09-2008, 07:20 AM
The only thing that i use Godaddy for is domains, while i am sure if you need something easy to follow they may be alright, i just think there pricing is a little more then you could do elsewhere.

Harold Mansfield
09-10-2008, 08:23 PM
This opinion my be biased , but it seems as if Go Daddy stuffs waaaay too many sites on each server.
I also remember reading a post on a webmaster forum about them restricting the amount of crawls from Google bots.
This is all from memory so I can't post documentation, to be fair.

vangogh
09-11-2008, 12:11 AM
You can find negative comments about every hosting company in existence. Sometimes the criticism is fair and other times it's not. I haven't heard anything particularly bad about GoDaddy's hosting, though I can't say I've heard anything particularly good either.

I am happy with them as a domain registrar.

Website Tonight is not the usually web hosting. It's more than the simple GoDaddy hosting packages where they charge you mostly for their CMS that's supposed to make it easier for you to update your site. That might even be true if coding scares you, but using Website Tonight means you have no access to the files themselves. No FTP into the site.