PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft outsources Live Spaces Blogging. Moves 30 million bloggers to Wordpress.com

Harold Mansfield
09-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Microsoft says that it decided that instead of building its own competing blogging service, it should go with WordPress’s fleshed-out feature set, which has 26 million users and powers over 8.5% of sites across the web. Users will be migrated through a process that preserves all of their content, and will automatically redirect visitors who head to their existing Microsoft Live Spaces sites.

Windows Live Outsources Blogging, Migrating 30 Million Users To WordPress.com (http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/27/windows-live-blogging/)

Business Attorney
09-29-2010, 11:29 PM
That's pretty interesting. Also, if the 26 million current WordPress users account for 8.5 percent of the websites on the Internet, then does another 30 million bloggers mean that WordPress will be powering almost 18 percent of the websites? I don't know how they came up with the first number, but that is pretty impressive by itself.

Harold Mansfield
09-30-2010, 12:08 AM
I don't think that the users of Wordpress.com account for 8.5 percent; of all websites on the internet. I think it's all users of Wordpress. Other networks also use Wordpress such as Universities, and Corporate Networks. Not to mention all of the individual websites powered by Wordpress.

According to Wordpress' own stats:

There are over 27 million WordPress publishers as of September 2010: 13.9 million blogs hosted on WordPress.com plus 13.8 million active installations of the WordPress.org software.(and about 28,000 people download it every day!)

Source:
Stats — WordPress.com (http://en.wordpress.com/stats/)

But yeah, if all of the Windows Live blogs are migrated, it does boost the coverage quite a bit.

jamesray50
12-11-2010, 01:38 AM
My website is on Microsoft and I created a blog on Wordpress.com. To add the blog to my website I had to enter the blog url in a link box under the Module tab. It added the wordpress.com to the end. When I go to the blog page it only puts a few sentences of my blog with ... after it so the reader will know there is more. But the only way to read more of the blog is to click on the comment link. I think that is weird. Are all blogs like that on other websites? Or is this one just weird?

Harold Mansfield
12-11-2010, 07:34 AM
That one is just weird .

technowonder
02-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Microsoft says that it decided that instead of building its own competing blogging service, it should go with WordPress’s fleshed-out feature set,
I find it odd that Microsoft, a massive software company with huge resource with their own products in this space, outsource to a different software provider. It makes sense from a financial outsourcing point of view .... for another company ... but surely not Microsoft, because what does this say about their own software offerings?

KristineS
02-02-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't think it's that surprising. No company can be all things to all people, so you do have to specialize at some point. Why spend time and money trying to build your own system and then working to get it market share when there are already worthwhile alternatives? To me, it just seems like smart business.