PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Facebook question personal vs. business

dynocat
09-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I have a personal facebook profile/info/wall/photos, etc. I do little with it, have a couple relatives and friends on it and have no plans to be very active on it.

I'd like a business page separate from my personal one. Ann, you've inspired me. Thanks.

There's an option in my personal account to add pages I administer. Do I want to set up the business one there? Or do I want a new account for the business?

The answer may be obvious (to you). I really don't want customers easily checking out my personal page. Not that they couldn't search for it, but I don't want to make it too easy, you know?

I warned you it was a dumb question. :)

Patrysha
09-26-2010, 12:31 PM
You can set your personal profile so that it is nearly completely shut-off/blocked to random surfers with your privacy settings. You do have to set up through a personal to get the business page though.

Spider
09-26-2010, 01:44 PM
My understanding is that you are only allowed one profile on Facebook and that is your personal profile. You are allowed pages that can be used for business, hobbies, clubs, a book, or any other concept but all these pages are created by you - they ARE you - and are attached to, and created under, your personal profile. You can also create a group and be the administrator of that group.

For example, you cannot post on one of your pages as yourself - because when you post as the adminsitrator of that page you are still you, the same you, not a different you. (There is a way to get your personal icon to show rather than the page icon, but that is incidental.)

I have a friend who claims to have a personal profile and a business profile, but she is breaking FB rules by having two personal profiles. She is entitled to only one personal profile and her business profile should be a page, not a separate profile.

I think your personal profile would be more separate from a group profile than from a page.

dizzle
09-27-2010, 12:54 AM
A personal "profile" on facebook allows the user to accept/deny friend requests, send/receive private messages, and manage the way people see there page.

A "fan page" on facebook allows for the administrator to post updates and delete "fans" of said company.

Just because facebook says that you can only have 1 personal facebook, doesn't mean anybody ever follows that rule.

When you're posting on your personal profile as "john doe", you're being represented as "John Doe". When you post on your business fan page, you're not posting as "John Doe's Cosulting, LLC" instead of just john doe.

Nobody can link your fan page directly to your personal page. It's better to have a "fan page" vs a personal profile page for your business because it keeps you a client/owner relationship instead of it becoming a buddy/buddy relationship.

Spider
09-27-2010, 08:48 AM
...Just because facebook says that you can only have 1 personal facebook, doesn't mean anybody ever follows that rule...I think you'll find the vast majority of people follow that rule. Anytime I find someone breaking it, I report it. It messes up the whole concept of FB.

dizzle
09-27-2010, 11:09 AM
There are over 500 million "active" profiles on facebook. I'd say about 10% of those people have at least 1-2 additional pages (pseudo pages).

That's still a lot of people.

greenoak
09-27-2010, 04:36 PM
the best way,imho....is a personal page for personal and a business page for business...
...you might have to have 25 personal fans first before you have a business page........not sure on that...
..and arent there some rules against being a business on a personal page?

Grandma Mary
09-28-2010, 12:26 PM
the best way,imho....is a personal page for personal and a business page for business...
...you might have to have 25 personal fans first before you have a business page........not sure on that...
..and arent there some rules against being a business on a personal page?

Yes, the Personal accounts are only supposed to be for actual people - but you see a lot of people breaking that rule. When you see "Joe's Coffee Shop wants to be your friend" then they are officially breaking the rule. Fan Pages are for businesses, personal accounts are for people. And they are very separate.

You don't have to have a certain number of friends to start a fan page. But you do need 25 Fans to get a custom Facebook url - for example, mine is Grandma Mary - Social Media Edutainer | Facebook (http://www.Facebook.com/GrandmaMaryShow). You can get a custom Fan Page URL by going to Login | Facebook (http://www.Facebook.com/username). Be careful you don't set your personal account to a business name because you can't change it - I have more tutorials here: Facebook Tutorial (http://www.grandmamaryshow.com/facebook-tutorials)

greenoak
09-28-2010, 05:21 PM
thanks mary....i like your site!!!!
. i think its kind of risky to ignore their rules and have a business on a personal....it might be ok now but they might start enforcing the rule and all your work might go down the drain......
i have some friends who do it.one puts her real estate on her page....kind of takky imho......i know its almost normal....