PDA

View Full Version : a new view of facebook....

greenoak
09-20-2010, 07:50 PM
heres kind of a neat facebook site The Grandma Mary Show ? Grandma Mary - A Social Media Edutainer Helping Small Businesses Learn About Social Media ? Page 3 (http://www.grandmamaryshow.com/page/3)
i seem to be finding a lot of them lately....and all with some goodies for the active facebook user...i think she has some links to copywriting sites too...
we passed 900 fans today ...i dont know why...customers seem happy when we say we have a page...
we just ordered a facebook stamp to put it on our receipts...my paid class is on hold till my webmistress returns...shes camping for 2 dAYS
ann

Harold Mansfield
09-21-2010, 10:25 AM
heres kind of a neat facebook site The Grandma Mary Show ? Grandma Mary - A Social Media Edutainer Helping Small Businesses Learn About Social Media ? Page 3 (http://www.grandmamaryshow.com/page/3)
i seem to be finding a lot of them lately....

That's because there are a lot of them out there these days. In a few years more than half of the "Social Media experts" will have moved on to something else. Not saying there isn't some good info out there, there is. Just be wary of spending money on a bunch of products.

greenoak
09-21-2010, 12:17 PM
no im not going to....but i do need lots of info fast...its a big thing for us right now....the weteachfacebook is the only thing im paying for .... there is so much free info too...i thought her view souonded like she has some direct experience tho...and thats nice... we have 904 fans now....mostly local....
just for fun, i thought other interenet marketers would like to see how someone else does it...like me when i go out to see other peoples version of a retail store...

Grandma Mary
09-21-2010, 04:57 PM
That's because there are a lot of them out there these days. In a few years more than half of the "Social Media experts" will have moved on to something else. Not saying there isn't some good info out there, there is. Just be wary of spending money on a bunch of products.

Thanks greenoak for the shoutout! I totally agree with eborg9 - don't spend a lot of money on products. My site does have a lot of free tutorials on there because I had a hard time finding all the information I was looking for. So glad you found it. The Copywriting Phrasebook by Amy Harrison that I reviewed on my latest post was a good deal. But again, watch where you spend your money. Glad to hear your fan page is going well!

KristineS
09-21-2010, 05:55 PM
There are a lot of people with good content out there, and definitely a lot of people who are sharing what they know which I think is great. It is a buyer beware situation though. If someone talks big but can't prove what they're saying, or if they claim to be a social media expert and have five followers, then it might be best to move on.

This is not to say that everyone who claims to be a social media expert or SEO expert or web designer or marketing guru or whatever is a shyster. There are a lot of good people doing very good work out there. Just be aware that there are also a lot of people who are trying to make a few quick bucks claiming to know stuff that they really don't know.

Patrysha
09-21-2010, 06:43 PM
This is not to say that everyone who claims to be a social media expert or SEO expert or web designer or marketing guru or whatever is a shyster.

I should hope not...since that happens to be part of my little corner of the world. I have been actively teaching small business owners how to market online and through publicity to market local businesses since 2003. Though it was before social media really started taking hold, I've remained as up to date as possible on the latest trends. And I do think social media is a trend, one that will fade into the background after a while because people will drive social media and doing business through it will become a natural progression of relationships as the younger generation evolves into entrepeneurs. Personally, I'm interested in seeing what is going on in SMS advertising...it's big in Europe already from what I understand.

Harold Mansfield
09-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks greenoak for the shoutout! I totally agree with eborg9 - don't spend a lot of money on products. My site does have a lot of free tutorials on there because I had a hard time finding all the information I was looking for. So glad you found it. The Copywriting Phrasebook by Amy Harrison that I reviewed on my latest post was a good deal. But again, watch where you spend your money. Glad to hear your fan page is going well!

Well Hello there Grandma Mary.
Thanks for stopping by, hope you will frequent the forum in the future.

Grandma Mary
09-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Well Hello there Grandma Mary.
Thanks for stopping by, hope you will frequent the forum in the future.

I sure will - this looks like a great place for info! Thanks!

Spider
09-22-2010, 02:41 PM
... I'm interested in seeing what is going on in SMS advertising...it's big in Europe already from what I understand.SMS Advertising? You mean, like spam on our cellphones, now? OMG!

Harold Mansfield
09-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Personally, I'm interested in seeing what is going on in SMS advertising...it's big in Europe already from what I understand.

So far I don't see it. From what I have seen Americans aren't very receptive to SMS marketing..actually have been resistant to it.
The only application that I can see a future in is the localized alerts...for instance when you walk into a supermarket, you get alerts of sales and specials. I heard some mention of using it this way a few years ago, but I really haven't seen anyone implement it yet.

Kind of like the movie 5th Element, where screens advertise a message just for you as you walk past them, based on your preferences. I can see that coming very soon.

Patrysha
09-23-2010, 02:01 AM
We're getting closer with 4square and other in store applications. Facebook is going to be a part of it, I think...and Twitter to a certain extent, but it's not like spam or anything creepy the way I see it. It's just people talking and sharing and the business owners who are truly passionate about their business and are saavy enough to communicate that love through expertise sharing will continue to shine...as they always have...through word of mouth. Just a bit more directed because now the local business owners are part of the conversation...it's a place full of opportunities :-)

Spider
09-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Yes, it's the business owners who are truly passionate about their business that can kill a social gathering in a heartbeat! And even some business gatherings!

greenoak
09-23-2010, 10:33 AM
thats funny spider.......not us!!!!
i never heard of it....but if they are trying to share their passion with me i would probably call it spam..... unless i had actively liked them....as in the facebook fan thing...

SEOHelp
09-23-2010, 12:14 PM
I recently heard that facebook was considering a subscription model - $5 or $10 bucks a month. I personally feel that this is going to be bad. But the firm is looking at an IPO and needs to show potential investors revenue. Do you think this will happen and if so, will it hurt facebook. I bring this up becuase a few years ago - everyone was talking about myspace - but, when it got bought by news corp. it kind of fell out of favor.

greenoak
09-24-2010, 05:34 PM
im expecting it....dang....at 5$ i think most of my fans would pay..mine are mostly homeowners not kids.....they really use facebook and would miss it a lot ...imho.