PDA

View Full Version : Daily Writing Practices

KristineS
09-07-2008, 10:48 AM
For those of you who write, do you have any daily writing practices that you do? I know some people recommend free writing for a half an hour every day. Other say writing bursts are the way to go. Some people recommend writing for a set period of time and then stopping, even if you're in the middle of a sentence. I've also seen tips about keeping a writing journal.

I don't really have any standard practices I follow. I'm just wondering if other people do. If you do, does what you do help your writing?

vangogh
09-08-2008, 03:00 AM
I've done that in the past, but now I spend so much time each day writing one thing or another that I don't get out of practice.

I used to keep a journal that I would write in every day. I've also from time to time followed specific writing exercises I've found in books. Nothing on a schedule though.

One thing I do is experiment with my writing. I may try to write a blog post with a slightly different style just to see what comes of it. Sometimes I'll end up incorporating an experiment into my style and other times it stays in the one post.

KristineS
09-08-2008, 08:14 AM
I tried the journaling thing for a while, but it ended up being more of a burden than a help. It became an obligation, so I quit doing it.

I'm like you, I write so much now that I feel like I'm always practicing in one way or another.

Dan Furman
09-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Yea, I write for business every single day (even if it's just places like this.) And every weekday, there's client work. I need no routine :)

I do think when you see "writing tips" like this (a routine, etc), they are more for the aspiring fiction / novel writer. I think most copywriters / professional writers write every day regardless.

vangogh
09-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Interesting Dan. When I was keeping a writing practice routine it was at a time when I was writing more fiction. It did help keep me in practice then.

Now I easily write a few thousand words each day between forums, email, blogging, social media, etc. It's enough to keep me in practice. I do pay attention to what I'm writing, though, so as to improve. If you never pay attention to the words you use you'll keep repeating them. I guess my practice now could be defined as being aware of what I've written.

KristineS
09-08-2008, 03:43 PM
I think you definitely need to be mindful of what you write and how you write. I'm sure I easily write a couple thousands words a day as well, but I always am striving to write a paragraph or two with which I am really happy. Sometimes I actually manage to do that.