PDA

View Full Version : Make website backups

jimr451
09-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Hi,

I started a thread elsewhere related to making a website backup, and here's an email I just got to prove the point. Note, I requested the restore on 9/10 (shortly after I nuked the wrong mysql table), and after three days of back and forth, (first saying "Yes, we can restore that, no problem") this is what they sent. I scrubbed the provider name. I love reason number 3 - "...for some reason." Classic!

Dear XXXXX, (Customer ID: XXXXXXX)

Thank you for contacting us.

We regret to inform you that your webspace backup request dated September 8, 2010 failed due to some of the following reasons.

1] Insufficient processing time.
2] Elapsed data availability time frame (over 24 to 48 hours).
3] No data was retrieved for some reason.

Please be aware that the main purpose of our back up is for disaster recovery purposes only. It is not meant for archiving and are generally not kept for very long, maximum is 24-48 hours. Backup requests which are over 48 hours may not be retrieved. We strongly encourage you to archive files and data that are vital to you. Please be reminded that success or failed results may vary on a case by case basis. Requests of this nature are granted as a courtesy based on availability.
However, administrators can still be able to restore files dated Sept 10,2010 because that is the oldest backup they have. Let us know if you wish to request backup based on Sept. 10,2010 so we can request it.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

--
Sincerely,

XXXXXXXX

Lesson - don't rely on your hosting provider to backup your site, OR your databases.

-Jim

billbenson
09-13-2010, 10:22 PM
Thats hysterical, but then again I didn't loose any data.

I have two pc's. I use one primarily as a backup of the first. That way, if one dies, I have a hot standby so I'm not going to have much downtime. If I don't have a working computer, I don't make any money. I also have two hard drives in both computers which I back up to. I also have an external hard drive.

For off prem backup I send a dvd to my parents in another state. I know a girl who keeps a 7 day revolving stock of hard drives. She goes to the bank everyday to flop them out. Kind of extreme but...

Back on subject: This thread has convinced me not to trust online services for backup. It kind of emphasizes that most professionals will have a backup system in place. You could derive from that that the people you are marketing to for a software backup are the people that don't see a reason for it. It sounds like a difficult sell to me.

jimr451
09-14-2010, 08:41 AM
In this case I was lucky - the table I munged was something I could rebuild, without too much trouble. But, over the years I've had various levels of success with backups. Bottom line - don't lose all the work on your website! Back it up.

-Jim

Business Attorney
09-14-2010, 09:58 AM
I found out several years ago when our law firm's website was hacked that our provider only keeps backups for a day or two. It makes sense, actually, but it came as a surprise to me. Fortunately, I did have a backup of the whole site that was several months old but, since our site was static, was still current. I am pretty good about backing up, but far from perfect.