PDA

View Full Version : Facebook: Profile boxes

Spider
09-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Facebook keeps telling me - "Please be aware that Facebook will no longer be supporting profile boxes very soon. You should move your content to a profile tab instead."

But a profile tab will replace something that is already there, and goes in the background, anyway. I want to put my stuff in the lefthand column. Is there no way to do that anymore?

greenoak
09-10-2010, 01:11 PM
i would go over and ask chance on ...we teach facebook...i wondered that too...maybe its not into affect yet...i havent noticed anything happening... yet

KristineS
09-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Don't know if this is accurate or not, but here is some info (http://personalweb.about.com/b/2010/09/03/bookmark-your-facebook-profile-boxes-before-they-disappear.htm) (I think) on preserving those profile boxes.

Spider
09-10-2010, 04:48 PM
Doesn't do anything for me.

Harold Mansfield
09-13-2010, 12:13 PM
I think what they want you to do now is create a custom HTML (or FBML ) page for your profile information. You will have to decide what your most important tabs are and what you want displayed.

Spider
09-13-2010, 01:07 PM
I think what they want you to do now is create a custom HTML (or FBML ) page for your profile information.That's what Custon Profile box was - that is now discontinued. How else can one create a FBML area or page? I have seen no help in that regard - can you point me to the appropriate link?

You will have to decide what your most important tabs are and what you want displayed.But whatever tabs you bring forward and whatever tabs you hide in the >> list, the setting is cancelled on exit and reverts to the standard tabs for re-entry. I have found no way to fix the chosen tabs.

Harold Mansfield
09-13-2010, 01:23 PM
That's what Custon Profile box was - that is now discontinued. How else can one create a FBML area or page? I have seen no help in that regard - can you point me to the appropriate link?
Yes, you have to use the FBML app:
Static FBML | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=4949752878&b)

But whatever tabs you bring forward and whatever tabs you hide in the >> list, the setting is cancelled on exit and reverts to the standard tabs for re-entry. I have found no way to fix the chosen tabs.

On pages, the tabs should stay the same as long as they are not too long (titles). Generally you will have "Wall",and "Info" which are static. After that I usually ditch "Photos" and place my custom tabs. I can usually get at least 2-4 with short titles in there that stay set at all times.
See here:
HaroldMansfield.com | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/haroldmansfielddotcom)
My tabs stay the same...and I just noticed that one of my pages is jacked up..glad I looked.

chancechapman
09-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Hello everyone, the announcement (http://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/399) made by Facebook will affect the boxes in the left hand column of your page and the width of any custom tab that you have created for your page.

BOXES:
By now, most changes have taken affect, but some boxes still appear. Eventually these boxes will be removed. The boxes that are being affected are located underneath the the 'profile picture', 'insights', and '# people like this' boxes.

Custom Tabs
The only thing affected by the custom tabs you have created on your fan page is the width. You will need to adjust any custom tabs you have created to 520 pixels wide or less. Custom tabs that are over 520 pixels wide will display, but they will be cut off at the 520 mark.

# of Tabs
Not an exact count, but you are allowed about 10 or 11 custom tabs for each page you admin. The 'wall' and 'info' tab, provided by Facebook, will always display to fans of your page. You can remove 'photo', 'discussion', 'notes', etc and replace them with a custom tabs that you create using FBML, iframes, or HTML.

Example of a custom tab: TechSmith | Screencast.com, online video sharing, 2010-09-13_1329 (http://screencast.com/t/OWViODY5NGQ)

----------------------------
Chance Chapman
co-founder of WeTeachFacebook

FB | WeTeachFacebook | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/WeTeachFB)
WEB | We Teach Facebook ? The best source for Facebook Fan Pages, Facebook Business Marketing, Facebook Tutorials, and More! (http://www.weteachfacebook.com)

Harold Mansfield
09-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Good info Chance and welcome to the forum.

Spider
09-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Harold, the link you provided to Standard FBML app is to a regular Facebook page but it has no means to do anything, like create a profile box. It says. "Add advanced functionality to your Page using the Facebook Static FBML application. This application will add a box to your Page in which you can render HTML or FBML (Facebook Markup Language) for enhanced Page customization."

But where is the app? How do I get the app?

Harold Mansfield
09-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Harold, the link you provided to Standard FBML app is to a regular Facebook page but it has no means to do anything, like create a profile box. It says. "Add advanced functionality to your Page using the Facebook Static FBML application. This application will add a box to your Page in which you can render HTML or FBML (Facebook Markup Language) for enhanced Page customization."

But where is the app? How do I get the app?

That's the stickler. The profile app is over. You can use the FBML app to build a page (tab) in HTML...IOW, to build a profile or "About" page. I don't know of any other "profile" apps that still work. Maybe someone else can chime in.
Boxes are over too. There will be no more boxes, so a custom page is your best option.

Spider
09-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Fine, but where is the application? You refer to a FBML app, but where is it? I cannot find a link to anything called an FBML app.

Thanks

Harold Mansfield
09-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Just click "Add to page" and it will give you the standard pop up to "select which page you wish to add static FBML to". Then go to your page settings and you should see it.

Spider
09-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Ah! I thought that would simply add a link on my page.

Thanks, Harold. Good job we've got you on this fourm!

chancechapman
09-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Here's a link (http://www.weteachfacebook.com/solutions-2/facebookcustomtabs/) to a guide I've put together that teaches you how to install and use the Static FBML application to add a custom graphic to your fan page on Facebook.

It's perfect for:
Fan Page admins who want to implement a simple custom tab onto their fan page. All you need is the graphic/content you want to use as your tab. Facebook limits the graphic size to 520px width, .jpg format, but we’ll show you exactly how to implement it. Step by step.

Additional resources will be required for:
Fan page admins who do not have the capability to create (or hire someone to create) the graphic/content for their tab.

Additional information will be needed for:
Fan page admins who want to add links and/or other functionality on their custom tab to direct users to their website or other web addresses.

WeTeachFacebook:
My company can create just about any custom tab idea you can come up with, but I didn't join the forum to pitch my company. I'd like to connect, learn from everyone, and add value by sharing the knowledge that I have about Facebook fan pages, and entrepreneurship.

If a specific questions comes up that I cannot explain in one post, I will provide a link to a place you that can find that information. If at any time, any forum member or moderator feels like I am advertising or spamming, please send me a PM and I will edit/remove my post.

greenoak
09-18-2010, 06:48 PM
thanks for coming on chance......i think you will like it here...and facebook is new to a lot of us!!!!
ann

AmyAllen
09-21-2010, 05:55 PM
Just a quick tip to address the "buried" nature of the tabs. You CAN designate a different landing tab for people who are not already fans of your FaceBook page. (Existing fans will always land on the Wall page.) This is helpful if you want to add a customized "introduction" or "about us" tab that all first time visitors would see, and it's really simple.

Here's an example (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?id=119601851411491&pid=209258#!/pages/Photo-Tips-for-Moms/119601851411491) I did for my sister's business fanpage.

From your fanpage just click on "Edit Page" and then under Wall Settings choose the tab you want people to land on where it says "Default Landing Tab for everyone else".

greenoak
09-23-2010, 09:11 AM
im taking the we teach facebook class and have got my profile box about where i want it...he might have the right directions for you spider...on his free page....he walked us thru a landing page and we didnt change ours much....now we are working on the tabs.... heres our new page...so far www.facebook.com/greenoakantiques
its pretty nice....he doesnt talk down to you...but he talks, shows diagrams and words....and visual examples..and has a video... we are already doing a lotof what hes saying....im hoping to get some more exciting content on my page....and not so much me me me....
seeing the depth of his thing has scared me off of trying an ebook...i just wouldnt have the time to do one half as full as what im seeing from him...i might have a free info tab instead...
im learning a lot!!!!