PDA

View Full Version : Overbook myself??? Not anymore.

Dan Furman
09-06-2008, 03:12 PM
There has been a definite shift in my business demeanor over the past two to three years - I have gotten a little more selfish with my time, and a little more stern with my scheduling. Maybe it's that I finally feel I am doing well, and (somewhat) confident enough that it won't all go away... here, let me explain it a little better:

Recently, a large corporate web development company started talking to me about copywriting. Basically, an online friend of mine worked for them, and pointed them in my direction.

They come to me three to four weeks ago, and briefly discuss a large project. They want to check my credentials, references, etc - I'm a little put off, because I don't like auditioning (I wasn't chasing them - they were chasing me), and I feel my website / book / DnB/BBB rating speak for themselves in regards to credentials. But whatever, it's no biggie - I send them stuff.

2 weeks go by, and I figure they didn't like me (I was definitely a little "didn't you even look at my website?" while we were on the phone.) No loss... but then I get a call from them - they DO like me, and want to move ahead on this project. Great, I say - send me some details, and I'll send a proposal / deposit requirements. They agree...

Another week goes by, and I finally get some details. The stress a deadline of the end of Oct... kinda short for a large project, especially since I'm fully booked for Sept already, plus have a large ongoing project, plus have a book to finish (it's in the editing stage, but I'm sure I'll have some touchup work.) My Sept schedule has filled in the last three weeks - if they were so concerned about this deadline, why not, oh I dunno, GET MOVING THREE WEEKS AGO???

So I send them my proposal Wednesday - I figure I can do this project starting the first week of Oct, and can finish by the end IF THEY GET ON MY SCHEDULE RIGHT NOW (that means a deposit - nobody gets on my schedule without one.) Like I said, I send this out on Wednesday, and tell them explicitly in the e-mail "I will hold the time on the proposal until the end of business Friday. If you are not on my schedule by then, I have to start filling it with others.")

Sure enough, I hear nothing. So Friday evening, I send proposals to two other potential clients who also want work done - I'll likely start filling October in the next few days.

Now, here's what's going to happen - I'll fill the first half of October by Tuesday / Wed, and this corporate web developer is going to get back to me after that and insist on the end of October deadline they wanted all along. The "Old Dan" would have somehow shoehorned it in, and then stressed over my impossibly busy October. I would have been miserable, because turning down paying clients was something the Old Dan would never do.

The New Dan??? He says "Sorry... you guys need to be more nimble". And the New Dan then explains he has also scheduled a week off in the beginning of November, and then there are holidays, December is a short month, etc (I also always shut down from about 12/23 to about 1/3) ... bottom line: I can get your project done by year's end if you get on my schedule now.

Really, I'll let the big project walk before I stress myself out by over-booking. I simply don't need it - it's a confidence shift, really - I have come to realize/truly believe that I am good at what I do, and business will be there for me without my overbooking and getting all stressed out.

Here's the really funny part - business has actually gotten BETTER with this demeanor. I've created a sense of urgency (Want me? Get in line.)

I like the New Dan a lot :)

I'm posting this here because what I used to do is common to entrepreneurs - they can't turn away the paying client, and will even overbook their time to where they aren't enjoying themselves anymore. Basically, I found out it's ok to stop doing that.

KristineS
09-06-2008, 03:31 PM
I think this is a great object lesson for everyone. It's an odd thing, but people tend to value you and your work more when you don't chase after them or appear desperate. If your confident, you'll attract more people and more work to you. That works in a lot of areas of life.

cbscreative
09-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks, Dan. Great post. I share much in common with what you had to say. Of course, being a writer, I face the same types of challenges. So far, I have solved this problem with the "get in line" approach too. In my experience, they are not on the work list until they approve a Work Order and have made a deposit.

I haven't had this happen yet, but theoretically, we could agree to a deadline, and I say great, give me the go ahead on an order. If another paying client does initiate an order before they make their move, they could lose. I've learned not to worry about that, it hasn't been a problem so far, and the first come (with commitment) first served method works.

I try not to overbook, but I will tenatively over commit knowing that not everyone will follow through and approve a Work Order when they say they will. Besides, if they can't keep their deadlines, neither can I, and I make that very clear rather than get stressed about it. Like you, I've found things go much better this way.

Dan Furman
09-06-2008, 03:52 PM
I haven't had this happen yet, but theoretically, we could agree to a deadline, and I say great, give me the go ahead on an order. If another paying client does initiate an order before they make their move, they could lose. I've learned not to worry about that, it hasn't been a problem so far, and the first come (with commitment) first served method works.

This is *exactly* how I do things too (I guess we both found out that's the way it can work). And I have had issues where I send two proposals with the same dates, and both bite. First one gets it first (I spell this out in my proposal). But it all always works out. I have found most deadlines are not really deadlines at all - they are simply a "we'd like it done by x", and not "we MUST have it done by x"

Need to get into the Xmas Catalog? THAT'S a "real" deadline. Everything else, not so much.

As we speak, I just had this e-mail exchange with another client (why am I working on Sat?... ah, it's just e-mail :) ):

Me: I can't start until October

Them: Not acceptable. We must have it finished by October

Me: No problem, I understand. You'll need to find another writer. Best of luck to you.

Them: Ok, starting in October is fine. Where do we send money to book this?

cbscreative
09-06-2008, 05:02 PM
I've come to the same conclusion that deadlines are not usually real deadlines, just preferences. I routinely have things go over, not because I didn't submit on time, but because they didn't respond. I'm perfectly OK with that as long as they don't expect me to miraculously turn back the clock after they sit on it for a while. My screening process keeps this from being a problem, but that comes with experience.

I've got a fairly standard response whenever someone asks, "How long will this take?" I tell them the normal amount of time, then say something like, "If you respond quickly to questions and make fast decisions on drafts and concepts, things go much faster than if you don't." I make it a point to not rush anyone along though. Being totally pleased with results is far more important than rushing things too much. The pain of doing things in haste lasts a lot longer than running over on a preferred completion date.

llcollins82
09-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Great post Dan. Sounds like this new Dan is knowledgeable and a good planner.

I know I am guilty of trying to fit in too much in too little time. Usually I don't fix it until I've been away from my family for too long, and then I tend to take a day off to just relax. It seems to work for me, but maybe I should try to get to where this new Dan is be happy and organized :)

Also, cbscreative, I completely agree with you - things need to be done correctly, and if it takes longer than desired to get the best results, that is just fine. People tend to be happier with a positive outcome than rushing to meet unrealistic deadlines with a poor outcome because of so much cleaning up and back tracking.

Probably the "new Dan" will help with the deadline schedule.... Must work on this myself.

vangogh
09-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Great post Dan and there's nothing surprising about why you're doing well since taking this attitude. I discovered a couple of years ago that when I started saying 'no' to people instead of trying to much to please them I started making more money. Sure it meant risking some people walking and some did, but someone else was always there to take their place.

Saying 'no' also lets potential clients know you're confident and creates a sense of exclusivity around you.

Steve I've seen the same thing with deadlines. When you ask, most people say it needs to be done tomorrow even though it doesn't need to be done till next month.

Blessed
09-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Great post Dan - I'm getting there... this is still my first year in business and I still have to prove to my husband that I can make money by working from home so I have a hard time turning down any paying customer - but I've started doing it occasionally and it helps everything else go so much smoother!

orion_joel
09-10-2008, 07:42 AM
I wont go into Deadlines much as most people have confirmed this, and i think it is absolutely true, deadlines often are some random date picked out to look good. While some have relative meaning as mentioned Christmas, others not so much.

On the other point being able to choose your jobs and not feel pressured to take work just because it brings in money, is probably the most empowering feeling any business owner can have. Also the ability to be able to book work up to a month in advance, gives you great ability to control your schedule, and better ability to guide the amount of work that you take on or more so know when you won't have enough in the pipeline. Eg you know you book mostly 3 - 4 weeks in advance if you take a look one day and only have 1-2 weeks on the books you know you need to start looking (or maybe just plan a holiday quickly)