PDA

View Full Version : taking a vacation...

huggytree
09-09-2010, 03:08 AM
its time for my yearly vacation

i always schedule it for mid Sept because its typically a slow month (people are thinking about kids/school and not remodeling their houses)

this year i picked the worst week possible...every finish i have is needed the week of my vacation...all the larger projects just got signed and need to be done asap...even (3) homeowner projects from spring just got signed this week....and of couse they want to start now....

when i return ill be working 10 hour days/ weekends, for 2 weeks straight into next month...

im now considering late winter vacations instead of early fall.....ive never been busy in Feb.

its hard to take a vacation when its a 1 man company.....im feeling growning pains!

anyone else with a bad work/vacation story?

billbenson
09-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Whats a vacation?

cbscreative
09-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Whats a vacation?

Yeah, I'd like an answer to that too...

On a serious note, I've been doing some mini vacations of about 4 days each, scheduled around times that don't cause any serious issues. I'm also making some significant changes to deal with growing pains. It's too early to unveil those, but I'm getting great responses from people I meet with to share my plans (just returned from one such meeting).

Spider
09-09-2010, 05:58 PM
A vacation is a measuring device. If your vacation costs you twice as much as it should - once for the cost of the vacation, plus the income you lose for not being at work -- then you are self-employed.

If your vacation doesn't cost you anything because you also went to a training seminar or visited a supplier so the cost is charged to your company, AND your income continued even when you weren't there -- then you have a business.

greenoak
09-09-2010, 07:18 PM
I DONT EVEN LIKE THEM....IS THAT BAD??? we go to florida for a couple of weeks.maybe 3 ..and they get along just ffine.....

cbscreative
09-09-2010, 07:26 PM
A vacation is a measuring device. If your vacation costs you twice as much as it should - once for the cost of the vacation, plus the income you lose for not being at work -- then you are self-employed.

If your vacation doesn't cost you anything because you also went to a training seminar or visited a supplier so the cost is charged to your company, AND your income continued even when you weren't there -- then you have a business.

Agreed. I've had to give up a lot of my control freak tendencies to gravitate toward owning a business vs. owning a job. I love what I do, but there's still no point in being forced to depend on it.

jamest
09-13-2010, 07:30 AM
"A vacation is a measuring device. If your vacation costs you twice as much as it should - once for the cost of the vacation, plus the income you lose for not being at work -- then you are self-employed.

If your vacation doesn't cost you anything because you also went to a training seminar or visited a supplier so the cost is charged to your company, AND your income continued even when you weren't there -- then you have a business."

I liek that. I consider myself still sel-enployed and holidays are taken around bank holidays and during losw months so as to minize income loss. But I've just hired my first employee and next year I'll be able to take real vacations, safe int he knowledge that somene else is taking care of the business!

huggytree
09-18-2010, 07:05 AM
just got back a couple of days ago

i will now be working 10-12 hour days for at least 14 days in a row to catch back up...i only lost one job(maybe) from not being here....so no real $ lost

while i was gone almost every customer decided to send me their checks...i came home to 10 checks in the mail...it felt like Christmas!

we are now considering taking early spring vacations instead since spring has always been a slow period.

maybe Feb...

i am hoping the economy will be improved next year and i can have a full time employee to take over for me.....that is the real solution, but for now ill just have to suffer after the vacation

the vacation was very nice, but i caught a cold and now have to suffer with long hours while i feel horrible

Spider
09-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Welcome back.

Blessed
09-21-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm still in the "what's a vacation?" stage :)

Fortunately I can do most of my work anywhere so I simply take my laptop and phone along and work a couple of hours a day whenever I'm away to keep up with the bare minimum of what needs done while the kids nap. It works! I also let everyone know I'm on vacation - usually the type of work I do can be put off for a day or two when it comes right down to it, the fact that I'm willing to take a little time to do the things that really need done NOW for some reason has given me very loyal clients.

I like your definitions Frederick! Get to feeling better Huggy!

huggytree
09-21-2010, 06:52 PM
i was on a ship for 4 days and couldnt take any phone calls. i didnt have that many missed calls to return since i had already told most of my steady builders id be gone and homeowner calls are dramatically down since school started.

i actually took a few calls while standing in line for rides at Disney...it shocked some of my builders, but when i see a name i recognize on my phone i always try to answer....i let all the homeowner and unknowns go to voice mail....i called them back in the morning before we left the hotel room.

i took a note book and thats all...i scheduled about a weeks worth of work from my hotel room.

ill be working through this next weekend, but should be caught up in 10 days....maybe even slow for a bit....

dynocat
09-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Nice to hear you (and the family) had a good time, huggy. I'm glad it worked out well for you. I especially like the part about checks in the mail when you got home. Nice bonus there.

Paper Shredder Clay
09-23-2010, 11:13 AM
I would love a vacation, as well. Generally when I have days off, I go back home to visit my family. I haven't had a real vacation in a few years. It is always great to go back home, but sometimes I want a "real" vacation. But I always feel guilty for not spending time back home, when I'm off, if I don't go down there.

huggytree
09-24-2010, 10:22 PM
im almost caught up now...i may take a small weekend vacation next weekend just to make up for working 15-10 hour days straight

looks like my winning streak of 3 months straight is finally coming to an end....i have 0 work scheduled for the first week of Oct....im looking forward to the break