PDA

View Full Version : New business idea

cbscreative
09-08-2010, 04:07 PM
We get a pretty good amount of people here asking about ideas and new business questions. Recently, I've found myself in a number of conversations that got me thinking about a good business model for the not too distant future.

It seems many people are looking for ways to meet the needs of aging Boomers and create businesses from it. Most of these ideas seem to rehash what's already being done. If you're looking for outside the box inspiration, here's an idea based off some predictions I have.

The fact that Boomers have such huge numbers will soon bring a problem that many will be looking to solve. If you look at the frustration we have now with the way "old people" drive, imagine what it will be like as more Boomers are hitting 70+ and the streets get more bottlenecked than they already are.

I predict this will lead to changes in the way driver's licenses get issued. At least I will be watching this because I want to see changes before the problem gets worse. So far, driving is mostly considered a right, but as our problems escalate, I hope to see it become a privilege instead. We'll all be safer when this shift happens.

OK, personal feelings aside, I think there will be a growing number of people who will be demanding changes in the near future.

Here's a possible precedent that could bring about these changes. In Michigan, they implemented changes several years ago in how young people obtain their license. We have a graduated driving program where driving privileges are issued in stages and the young driver must practice and demonstrate competence to move up to the next level. It has significantly reduced traffic deaths among young drivers.

If my predictions are correct, there will be a number of potential business opportunities that will result. If you prepare early, you could be in the lead. A couple examples that come to mind for me are some type of therapy program to help older drivers continue to qualify for a license, and, a shuttle service of some sort to cart people around who can't drive.

The former won't likely catch on until laws change to create the need, but you would probably have at least 5 years to research techniques and get a jump on the competition that will exist once it happens. The latter already exists in several forms, but the needs will continue to rise no matter what the laws are. Having a plan in place now could be a great advantage once everyone else wants in on the action.

Anyone else see this as a likely possibility? What business ideas do you think we could brainstorm off this? This thread might even make someone wealthy (I'll just get rich some other way since I don't intend to jump on this one yet). Let's get all these business minds cranking out ideas.

Harold Mansfield
09-08-2010, 07:34 PM
The only thing I can add to the idea is to take it to Florida. My lord I have never seen so many seniors completely populate one land mass in my life and the old joke of seeing into the rear window through the front of the car and only seeing the top of the steering wheel with a pair of knuckles on it is sooo true.

If anyone were to do anything with this, I'd be thinking of eventually opening a location in S.Florida from day one.

billbenson
09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
The only thing I can add to the idea is to take it to Florida. My lord I have never seen so many seniors completely populate one land mass in my life and the old joke of seeing into the rear window through the front of the car and only seeing the top of the steering wheel with a pair of knuckles on it is sooo true.

If anyone were to do anything with this, I'd be thinking of eventually opening a location in S.Florida from day one.

You haven't been here in the winter. The percentage of white heads is substantially lowered by Canadians :)

Its an interesting thought Steve. My mother who is in her late 80's and had to take the test in CA three times to pass. Duplicating drivers tests and helping seniors practice their test and good driving practices could be a winner. The seniors are often more nervous than a high school kid taking the test. You could potentially even create a certification at this point for seniors that is accepted by the DMV.

gabearnold
09-09-2010, 01:33 AM
All that I can contribute, is that if I can do 10% of what my grandfather did in his lifetime I will be very satisfied with my contribution to this world.

Lyrafire
09-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Any restrictions on driving would have to be based on ability, not age. So maybe skills-enhancing software that trains for alertness, reflexive actions, and split-second decision making. Coincidentally, just yesterday, I was reading about a fellow in California who is developing this very thing. He's a bonafide, well-respected scientist who studies brain plasticity, but, apparently based upon some of his research regarding reopening the brain's learning port (the nucleus basilis), he's now also an entrepreneur with a website: Posit Science. He (or someone who works for him) has devised games that, ostensibly, do just what I described. That doesn't mean someone can't do it better, however.

What really fascinates me, here: Yesterday I was reading about brain plasticity and a scientist who researches it, and then I went to his site and discovered that he has developed this software to assist aging people with their driving skills, and today I come to Small-Business-Forum.net and someone is using seniors who drive as an example of a potential market. I'm not all woo-woo new-agey, but that's an interesting coincidence.

cbscreative
09-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I definitely agree on the ability not age principle. At some point, all of us who don't die first will get older. There are people over 80 who are very capable and put 40 year olds to shame. I wouldn't support anything age based, but I will certainly support something ability based. Right now, we allow people to drive who can't (or won't) even turn their head.

Lyra, your software example reminds me of one of my clients who is working to get a treatment going in America that has been used successfully Sweden for years. Treatment and prevention is much better than having to lose driving privileges, but I think we would do well to restrict drivers who are unsafe (or at least motivate them to seek the treatment to avoid losing the driving privilege).

Harold, I've heard horror stories about FL during peak seasons; imagine the aging Boomers creating something close to that all over the country. I predict action will need to be taken, and with it, more business models will be born.

KristineS
09-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I have to agree with the ability not age thing too. I know people in their 30s and 40s who are terrible drivers because they're always texting or talking on their cell phones and not paying attention. I think there should be a set of skills you should have to be able to perform and if you can perform them you can be licensed to drive. If not, you can't. Age isn't a factor.

I think we'll see a lot of businesses centered around care for older people in the future. There will also be a lot more jobs available as the older people leave the work force.

Business Attorney
09-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Steve wrote "So far, driving is mostly considered a right, but as our problems escalate, I hope to see it become a privilege instead. We'll all be safer when this shift happens." The problem is that we have designed our society around the fact that everyone drives. In Chicago, we have excellent mass transportation but in many places there is virtually no alternative to driving. When downtowns are killed by large shopping malls, walking to the store becomes impractical, if not impossible. I grew up in a small town where you could get everything you need downtown. There were two drug stores, two hardware stores, several clothing stores, an appliance store, a cigar shop/newstand and other small stores. Now there is a Super Walmart out near the interstate highway that carries all of those things and more, but it is two miles from downtown, across one highway and a railroad overpass and with no sidewalks.

Neighborhood grocery stores have given ways to large supermarkets and short treks to the store every day or two for fresh milk and bread have give way to weekly trips to stock up. Even if you don't mind walking a mile or two to the supermarket rather than a block to the corner grocery store, you're not going to do it every day, and who can lug a week's worth of groceries a mile or two?

So, if we start cracking down on people who shouldn't be driving (and I don't disagree with that), there are plenty of other changes that will have to be made, too.

billbenson
09-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Well, living in Florida where there are pleanty of elderly lousy drivers, I think those of us who are younger need to be more vigilant so the most of the elderly can hold on to there licenses longer. We still have a society where we live around the car. Yes their reactions are going to be slower. But unless they can't see or are really incapable, I think we need to cut them a little bit of slack.

With rapidly growing technology, I can see driving going to the realm of computer controlled. You plug into your car where you are going and it does the driving for you. I think something along those lines is very plausible in the next decade or two.

Spider
09-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Is one permitted to start up a local bus service? I mean, you cannot form a postal service competing with the UPS, so can you compete with Metro? So few places (if any) have a decent bus service in the US, that the elderly have no alternative to drive or employ a driver. A regular mini-bus service that routed the old people's homes, assisted living communities and senior-only apartments to the local mall and back would be popular. They may already exist, but seem like a good start (one mini-bus) for an enterprising individual.

cbscreative
09-09-2010, 10:34 PM
It's true we have largely built a society on almost everyone driving, but I wouldn't rule out seeing that change. In large cities, it's often faster to ride a bicycle because traffic is so bad. The problem of rising traffic congestion is likely to get worse. Solutions will need to be sought.

This is more about a possible alternative than my topic of the business opportunities, but I wouldn't be surprised if the day comes where drivers will need a special license to drive on freeways. That wouldn't alleviate normal street congestion, but it would help make freeway driving more like it's supposed to be.

Back on topic. Spider's suggestion of private bus service is possible. In my area, we have quite a few shuttle type services of varying sized vehicles. I see no reason these couldn't work. Even home delivery of things like groceries are already springing up in places. This not only applies to elderly, there are people who would use this service simply to avoid the hassle of shopping (and the driving that goes with it).

For that matter, one of my favorite ways to shop is ordering online and let UPS drop it on my doorstep. That could even raise the issue of business models that help people avoid driving. That would help both the elderly and people like me who prefer to avoid getting caught in traffic. There's already a market for that, and I see it getting bigger.