PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Computer Repair - New Business Help

jtwoods4
09-01-2010, 11:35 AM
I have worked in corporate America for 10 years as a software engineer and network administrator. I am leaving soon and the plan is to start a small business called Georgia Computer Repair, Inc. I chose that name becuase those are very common search words in Google and I will be marketing via my website which is in the works.

Anyway, I plan on offering my services to Small Businesses and Home Offiice users. For example, for the small business I will offer network support, pc repair, microsoft server setup, email setup, website development and graphic design. I have several friends that are partnering with me to provide these services.

My question, is the company name Georgia Computer Repair, Inc. fitting for the services I am offering? I am concerned that small business owners may see that in a google search and not associate it with small business network administration or website design.

What do you guys think?

vangogh
09-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Welcome to the forum JT.

First realize you aren't going to find a domain that describes all your services. You can go two ways with a domain. Choose something descriptive or choose something more generic for branding. You can brand the first type of domain too.

With descriptive do what you've already done. I'd probably pick the service you think will be your main business. If you expect to set up more home networks than repair computers, I'd use the networking thing in your name. The reasons you go with the descriptive name is in part search engines, but even more it's so people know what your business is.

With the generic approach you don't give clues to people or search engines what your business is about, but you can usually find a name easier to remember and type. It also gives you an easy way to change your business model without having to find a new business name. For example If you do go with Georgia Computer Repair, Inc. and decide to stop offering those services you're going to need a new name, which is like starting over in many ways. If on the other hand you were GeorgiaPC, Inc you could offer any service around PCs and change them without having to change your name.

There are no easy answers. It comes down to where you see the business now and in the coming years. I think a descriptive name is fine. You probably want to choose the name based on your main service. You'll have to work a little harder so people know what your other services are, but you can do that in a variety of ways.

billbenson
09-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Do you plan on servicing all of Georga? From a search engine standpoint, its easier to come up at the top for localized searches, but Georgia seems to broad to me unless your current or future plans are to expand to the state or further.

Think about it. If you are sitting in Marietta, you will probably type Marietta computer repair, not atlanta computer repair.

Going beyond that, you are targeting two different markets IMO. Small businesses could be a 20 person company. They would want a company that can do networking services, set up a T1, etc. They don't want Geeks. Sounds like that is up your alley.

Home offices of which most of us are on this forum, aren't really any different than any home computer except for reliability issues and perhaps some extra periferals. For a lot of us a computer means income so reliability is a big factor. Still most home offices are just a pc and maybe a router. Seems like that is more of a consumer market. Both of these are going to take different SEO approaches which can affect company names and url's.

KristineS
09-01-2010, 01:18 PM
First, welcome to the forum.

Second, I would agree that Georgia Computer Repair might be a little broad. Plus, you need to remember that, as computers get cheaper, people don't get them repaired, they simply buy a new one. I'm guessing that trend will continue, so that's another consideration.

I would also agree with billbenson that you might well be targeting two different markets. Home offices generally will need different services than small businesses. There's no law that says you can't serve both markets, but you may want to take that into account.

jtwoods4
09-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I do plan on expanding to cover the GA market but will start out in Atlanta. My target market is the small business with between 5 and 20 computers. Seems like Georgia computer repair can fit with that market. One of the top google searches for that category is GA computer repair. Seems like this can work.

billbenson
09-01-2010, 04:08 PM
The only result I found for GA Computer Repair was a portal listing a bunch of computer repair shops.

If your main source for customers is going to be the search engines, you really need to study SEO a bit. Georgia Computer Repair is way to broad to be a keyword search term. Using it isn't going to help much in terms of SERPS. It may be a good company name worth branding, but its not worth much for SEO in my opinion. Its just way to broad of a term.

jtwoods4
09-01-2010, 04:17 PM
There are several listing that come up under a google search for ga computer repair, however, I think you are right, Atlanta Computer Repair brings up more search results.

According to google insight using a filtered search by united states and georgia ( Google Insights for Search (http://www.google.com/insights/search/#) ) the search words in the area with the most monthly searches are "ga computer repair" . So I think I can utilize that trend.

billbenson
09-01-2010, 05:02 PM
ga computer repair -> 637,000 results in google.
atlanta computer repair -> 458,000 results

If you are relying on SERPS for business, you should try to be in the top 5 results. What do you plan to do to get in the top 5 or so results for that search term?

billbenson
09-01-2010, 05:03 PM
ga computer repair -> 637,000 results in google.
atlanta computer repair -> 458,000 results

If you are relying on SERPS for business, you should try to be in the top 5 results. What do you plan to do to get in the top 5 or so results for that search term?

vangogh
09-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Atlanta probably is the better term. Think about it. If you're in Atlanta are you going to search Georgia computer repair or Atlanta computer repair? You're going to search Atlanta, because you're not interested in other cities in the state.

Since you do want to expand, you might want to think about using something more generic with the domain. You can still target different locations with the content on your page, your title tag, links coming into the site. The benefit of the domain is mainly going to be in an exact match search. The problem is if you name your business Atlanta Computer Repair, how well is the site going to do when you expand to Macon, etc.

You have to think beyond search engines. They are one great way to get traffic, but far from the only way. My guess is your business will do better through word of mouth. Are small businesses needing computer repairs for their network of computers searching Google or are they asking their friends with small businesses who handles their computer issues?

Again understand that the domain will help on exact match searches. So yes someone searching "Atlanta computer repair" or Georgia computer repair" will more likely find your site. However you wouldn't have any advantage over any other phrase. You could though be limiting your business by choosing to have a specific location in the name and domain. That works best if you don't plan on expanding beyond the area, but if you do, choosing something less location specific will probably be your best bet.

You could also buy the domains atlantacomputerrepair.com, georgiacomuterrepair.com, and any other location based domain and either point them directly to your main site with the more general name or build small landing pages on them that again point to your main generic and more brandable domain.

jtwoods4
09-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Excellent feedback everyone. This is going to be a tough venture to try and rank on google. The sites that currently come up on searches using "atlanta computer repair" and "ga computer repair" are so basic and not professional. I wonder how those guys got ranked so how????

vangogh
09-01-2010, 09:07 PM
If you're serious about building a business, I wouldn't build it relying on Google to send you traffic and customers. Google and the other search engines should be part of your marketing strategy, but not your entire strategy. I don't know the specific industry well enough to tell you why some sites are ranking and how you can do, but in general it comes down to developing your site so it doesn't throw any roadblocks up for getting indexed, choosing a variety of keywords and keyword themes to optimize your on page content, and building links into the site.

Think more about building and marketing your business in other ways. Network with businesses locally. Join a Chamber of Commerce and meet as many business owners as you can. It takes time to do well in the search engines and you can't count on traffic from them right away, unless you want to spend money on advertising with them. And even if you do get traffic your website needs to turn those visitors into leads and customers.

Steve B
09-02-2010, 07:35 AM
I've driven through Georgia - I don't know how it would be possible to service the whole state. I'm guessing you must be thinking in terms of having many different locations over time. If that's the case, each individual location will face the same issue - that the "Georgia" is way too broad and won't help if their target is the local homeowner or small business looking for help with their computer. You may want to go with a generic name but always use a descripting tag line along with it. Such as: Technoweanie Hut - Your computer, networking and SEO experts. I'd also evaluate if it's realistic for you to tackle servicing the whole state - even in the long term.

I just bought a computer from a place like you've described. He has a terrible name or I would have used him a long time ago. It took me a few years to figure out what they really did there. He had an expensive 2 minute commercial that finally explained it to me. His company name is "Kinsafe". His mother explained it to me once and it still doesn't make sense (I think it had something to do with protecting your family from computer viruses). He seems successful, but I bet he would have been more successful sooner if he had a better name.

Welcome to the forum - starting a business is an exciting ride. Hold on tight!

Spider
09-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Just speaking for myself (and I don't claim to be typical, but it's a thought) I've owned a computer of one brand or another since my TRS-80 in 1977. In 34 years of quite heavy computer use, I've never used a computer repair shop. My most recent 20 years of computer purchases have all been from Best Buy, and they have a good repair facility. I have purchased extended warranties in all cases, but even the rare occasion I needed out-of-warranty service, I still went back to Best Buy.

In fact, I really question that 985,000 people (every month, probably) are assumed to be in need of computer repairs in the state of Georgia and/or the city of Atlanta. Thus, by this logic, I would suggest that Anything Computer Repair would be a lousy name for a business. I could see people needing assistance with network set-up and computer installations, though.

billbenson
09-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Spider, I believe he is talking about small companies. They are going to want to have a number of computers tied into a central server. Although I think he mentioned above that he would do repair for individuals, the target market is the former. That being the case, most companies that size will need that service. Think of it as an IT person for companies that can't afford someone in house. There is plenty of competition for that as well, but many of them are fly by night companies. Plenty of legit companies as well including one man shows.

Spider
09-02-2010, 02:28 PM
I agree entirely, Bill, but that isn't computer repair - at least, I don't think of it as computer repair. To me, computer repair is opening the box and fixing somethong that broke. How about Xxxxx Computer Networks, or Xxxxxx Computer Installations and Repairs. Or Xxxxx IT Services. I just think Xxxxxx Computer Repairs is going to have people, small businesses and anyone else, walking away if what they need is anything other than an actual repair of a broken computer.

Harold Mansfield
09-02-2010, 09:45 PM
I would also choose a name that associates all of your services, be damned the Google results. You also have to market offline as well so a name like "Georgia Computer and Web Services" will get you a lot more use than one that is limited to just computers.

You can rank your individual pages separately from the main domain. Actually, you can rank anything..don't let Google choose your business name, especially if the domain is not available...which that one was probably registered back in the 90's.

vangogh
09-03-2010, 02:46 AM
Bill I think you're right about what the plan for the business is. That's how I understood it too. I would agree with Frederick that computer repair isn't the best way to describe that kind of business. Computer repair says to me it's a place where I bring my computer to you and you fix it or maybe you come out to my house and fix it. I think the stem word "network" is a better choice. I might say "IT" as well, but since it's also "it" the word can get lost, particularly in searches.

I think this kind of business will grow best through means outside of a search engine, though I would still include search as part of the marketing. I'm assuming the business will be starting out as a one or two person shop, in which case it won't need a lot of clients to survive. Getting to know a few businesses in the area would seem like a good way to get started. Chamber of Commerce, handing out business cards, talking to everyone in the area that you can. Get those first few clients, ensure the business brings in enough revenue and then think about expanding.

Paul Elliott
09-07-2010, 09:34 PM
A word of caution, JT. You've gotten some valuable advice, but ...

BEFORE you select a final name, be sure you can get the .COM variety of that name. Buy your domain name before you register your business name or file your incorporation papers. There are companies that scrape the Sec. of State sites across the nation and hop on any company names who don't yet own the domain name by that name.

Of course, you can still get it, but it may cost you from $100-$500 depending on how desperate they think you are to get it.

Paul

gabearnold
09-09-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm new on the forum, so you can take this with a grain of salt; first because I haven't hung out on forums in years, and second because I have only been in the tech field officially for 3 years even though I've done it on the side for longer and owned my own businesses for the past 12 years (since I was 16 years old). With that little disclaimer out of the way, here is my opinion:

Google, Zappos, and Amazon seem to have made it ok, and I have no idea how those names relate to what they do (not based on just their terms anyway). I wasn't the original founder of my I.T. firm here in Chicago, but the engineers who founded it named it ZigZap which looking back is a pretty creative thing for engineers to do. When I first came on board I honestly thought the name sucked pretty bad, but the longer I've been here I've realized it really is valuable to us. We just a small shop compared to some of the big boys but one thing we have is our name. People call us us ZipZap, Zipper heads, ZigZag, and once in awhile ZigZap our real name :). We also have this bright orange and black logo (another thing that I thought sucked), but it has once again proved to be something that helps us stand out from the crowd. Here in Chicago if I search for "chicago computer repair" in Google (that weird named companies site) I get 281,000 results. From what you described you are trying to target the same market my company does. I think you have the right idea small companies desperately need professional I.T. help at a reasonable price.

So the real question becomes, are you going to try and market purely through SEO tactics (which are obviously important but if relied on solely very expensive), or are you going to build a tribe. If you haven't read heavily in Seth Godin or Chris Anderson's books yet, I highly recommend it. Seth Godin's blog, and this book Free! Why $0.00 Is the Future of Business (http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/16-03/ff_free) really moved me forward in business. Traditional marketing takes a lot of money, where as viral marketing through influential tribes of people costs nothing but effort.

In 3 years we've spent less than $3,000.00 in marketing and advertising dollars and we've still seen steady 10-30% growth each year. I'm happy with the results because I know exactly where they are coming from and my CPC rate isn't going to change and put me out of business (another interesting read here: How Google Cost Me $4 Million (http://www.inc.com/magazine/20100901/how-google-cost-me-$4-million.html) ).

Anyway, I could go on for awhile about this, but I wanted you to hear the opposing viewpoint. The non traditional marketing approach that is starting to work for many young entrepreneurs like me. Remember, people buy from people, they always have, and they always will, especially in the service industry.

Finally, here are a couple great blogs to read:

Passive Income: The Smart Passive Income Blog (http://smartpassiveincome.com/)
Viral Marketing : ViperChill (http://www.viperchill.com/)

I wish you great success, owning your own business is one of the most rewarding things you can do.

Cheers.

Harold Mansfield
09-09-2010, 07:07 AM
I have to agree with Paul on this one..all the speculation and opinions about which name to choose means nothing until you see what is available for domains and register the best one...that will dictate your name.
It doesn't matter what you want, it's about what is available and if you plan to market online as well as off, you will need your domain to be as close to an exact match of your company name as possible...and preferably a '.com'.

All of the great , geo-targeted, industry specific,niche, keyword names (like "GeorgiaComputerRepair.com") are registered and have been for years. You will have to get creative, but you can still get something applicable.

vangogh
09-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Google, Zappos, and Amazon seem to have made it ok, and I have no idea how those names relate to what they do

Their names don't relate at first glance, but they do all relate or at least convey certain messages.

a googol is a very large number. Google changed the spelling, but the idea of a very large number translates to search. A very large amount of websites or find and index. A very large need for computing power, etc.

The Spanish word for shoes is zappatos. I assume the name Zappos comes from that since shoes are what they sell.

The Amazon rainforest is the largest rainforest on earth. The word amazon is often associated with being big. Amazon the company looked to become the largest online retailed. Their site is big and all encompassing.

Each of the above names does have some connection with the business behind them even if not immediately obvious. All are also easy names to remember and spell helping extend the reach of the brand.

huggytree
09-22-2010, 07:54 AM
i think the 'Georgia' is too broad (unless you serve all of Georgia)

and

I think the 'computer repair' is too narrow since you do a lot more than pc repair

i have a IT friend who uses 'pc services' and his last name....he does a lot of different things and PC SERVICES covers it

Atlanta PC Services?

Business Attorney
09-22-2010, 02:27 PM
All of the great , geo-targeted, industry specific,niche, keyword names (like "GeorgiaComputerRepair.com") are registered and have been for years. You will have to get creative, but you can still get something applicable.

The fact that a URL is registered does not mean that it is not available. It just means that you have to buy it from the current owner. I have seen lots of geo/industry names pass hands on other forums for a few hundred dollars. I have even bought a couple myself at GoDaddy auctions for $15.

Even paying $1,000 to get an ideal URL may be better than buying your 23rd choice for $9.95 directly from a registrar. Maybe a current owner wants a ridiculously high price, but you can always say 'no.' There is no harm in asking.

billbenson
09-22-2010, 03:25 PM
The fact that a URL is registered does not mean that it is not available. It just means that you have to buy it from the current owner. I have seen lots of geo/industry names pass hands on other forums for a few hundred dollars. I have even bought a couple myself at GoDaddy auctions for $15.

Even paying $1,000 to get an ideal URL may be better than buying your 23rd choice for $9.95 directly from a registrar. Maybe a current owner wants a ridiculously high price, but you can always say 'no.' There is no harm in asking.

Good point!!!

Paul Elliott
09-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Thanks for reminding us, David.

Paul