PDA

View Full Version : Wordpress Theme Review

jamestl2
08-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Hey guys,
After a few weeks of learning about options pages, jquery, formulating ideas, etc. I've finally finished my first (advanced) WP theme.

I figured it might be a good idea to get a theme that I designed, developed, etc. actually reviewed, and see if the products I'm creating is anything good.

So any advice concerning the design, the features, the structure, or anything at all relating to the theme, whether it's good the way it is, or areas for improvement, either would be appreciated.

Oh, and the theme is called Dark Mystery. It's located here:
Dark Mystery Theme (http://engipress.com/themes/dark-mystery/)

Also, if you'd think viewing the actual code behind the theme would be helpful for optimization purposes, diagnostic issues, etc., let me know.

Thanks

websonalized
09-19-2011, 01:59 PM
jamestl2,

I find your theme average. Also, I am looking at your theme from a large screen, and the design of your rotating banner is not displaying correctly. The background behind "sliderimg" element is smaller than the width of "slider" body, and I can see the smaller rectangle cut short behind the image.

Bests,

vangogh
09-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Sorry I missed this when you first posted James.

Seems ok on first impression, though I wouldn't say it wows me. Who is the theme for? I'm guessing it's for customers as opposed to fellow designer/developers, in which case I'd suggest adding more content to the pages. For example the average person isn't going to get much from a page showing html elements and how they'll look one after the other. Better would be to have a real page of content with a couple of different headers in the content. Instead of example category, give a real category. Build some real content into the demo. You can use the space for sales copy or general support information. The theme will look better and be more attractive to buy if people can see how it looks with real content.

As for the design, I'm wondering if the navigation could be better. For example how is it going to look and work once I have more than a few pages? More than a few categories? Why no link to the main blog page in the navigation? I realize the logo is the link to the main blog page, but will the average person know? How about if someone wants to set up the theme with the blog not being the main page?

jamestl2
09-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Wow, this is kind of an old thread, created that theme over a year ago, anyway, still, thanks for the advice.

@websonalized = I checked the theme on three different monitor sizes before I released, and it looked fine in all three, so I'm not sure which image you're referring to. This one?:
http://engipress.com/demo/wp-content/themes/dark-mystery/images/slider-bg.png

If so, how big should it be?

@Steve = Yeah, this one was geared more towards customers, I'd say. I was just trying out a few things I learned in jQuery and see if I could make a cool few incorporations into the theme with what I learned then.

And I understand what you mean about building content, but I didn't want to confuse visitors who see the actual site, and the plain demo site. That's all the demo site is for, so potential customers can preview their theme. The two have different purposes.

scottish
09-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I like it. wordpress themes are supposed to be funactional not that artsy anyway.

vangogh
09-22-2011, 08:05 PM
created that theme over a year ago

Funny. I thought it was posted in 2011 so while I thought is was old I thought it was only a few weeks old.

I didn't want to confuse visitors who see the actual site, and the plain demo site. That's all the demo site is for, so potential customers can preview their theme.

I don't think it would confuse people at all. I think by not having much content on the demos now you're shortchanging yourself. Real content with a number of pages is going to make your theme look better to potential buyers. As it is now you're requiring your customers imagine how the theme will look when there's content there. Most aren't going to do that. They'll buy the theme that already shows how the theme will look with content.