PDA

View Full Version : Using "THE" in a domain name

Superbad
08-20-2010, 02:32 PM
I was not sure where to put this question exactley... It belongs more to some kind of "user experience" than SEO but you will understand...

I couldn't find an appropriate domain name for my site free so I ended up having "the" prefix which is semantically and SEOwise absolutely acceptable.

But what about user experience? What if Facebook.com was TheFacebook.com

Did anyone ever meet this problem or thought about it...?

Harold Mansfield
08-20-2010, 03:03 PM
The only thing that I worry about when having to use "the" is what is on the domain without the "the" and will there be any confusion or will it harm me in anyway.

Not using "the" is preferable, but there is nothing wrong with using it, especially if it is the only way to get the word(s) that you want.
Just make sure to keep the branding universal and always refer to, name and link to the site with the "the".

brown.daniel66
09-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi Superbad,

you gave example of facebook.com and thefacebook.com. I am from corporate field and know the value of name. if there is any company who is not using internet for marketing purpose, for that 'the' will not be an issue because customers will hardly think upon it, but if a company is using internet massively as a part of marketing strategy then I think 'the' will be an issue b'coz customer group will be internet sevy and will have a bit of knowledge about websites. so, at that time it is possible that facebook might be known as thefacebook and the brand name of business might be affected by this.

Superbad
09-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks Daniel. You are absolutely right.
I share your point and that's why I asked for opinions hoping someone to deny on it :-)

Pretty frustrating to search for the right domain name. You end up with alternatives that are just not it.

nealrm
09-23-2010, 09:06 AM
You may also want to watchout for trademark issues. To take your example a step further, starting a social networking site and calling it "TheFacebook.com" may land you is some trouble.

Superbad
09-23-2010, 11:44 AM
OK, I am not that silly! It was just an example :-)

SEOHelp
09-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Not sure it really matters as long as you start out with this name and stick with it. If facebook came out as thefacebook before there was a facebook - it would be the standard.

Business Attorney
09-23-2010, 12:25 PM
You may also want to watchout for trademark issues. To take your example a step further, starting a social networking site and calling it "TheFacebook.com" may land you is some trouble.

You mean WILL land you in some trouble. :)

Apart from the user experience, which I agree is a problem, adding "the" to any domain name is likely to create trademark issues if the original domain is being used in the same general business. You might get away with TheMcDonalds if you were selling kilts, but not if you were selling any kind of food.

rdcclu
09-23-2010, 03:21 PM
In my experience...

1. Having "the" in the domain name is not a problem. I have a domain beginning with the word, "the" and have good search engine rankings.
2. The more important question is, "Do you have the primary keyword for your market in your domain name?"

KristineS
09-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Almost any domain name will have to be impressed on the users mind. If you're consistent in your branding, people will catch on. Given that, I don't believe "the" in a domain name is necessarily detrimental.

AaronConway
09-28-2010, 07:05 PM
One thing you may want to consider is who your target customer is. For the customer who is 'net savvy adding "the" to the domain name won't be a problem. If you're target is senior citizens it might be a problem as some of them still think capitalization makes a difference in domain names. As a general rule I think you're safe.

Aaron