PDA

View Full Version : windows problem

greenoak
08-14-2010, 05:37 PM
i got a new laptop with the new windows in it.....we have about 4 email addresses....in the old windows they all merged together, just by time ....in the new windows they come in merged but also seperately , under each address....and if i look at one it dissappears from the main place they enter and is there only in the seperate lists........so if i have to look at something the second time, to reply or whatever, i have to remember which email name it came to....its driving me crazy and dh cant find a fix for it....
also if i want to check if i sent something or if it went thru i have to remember which email it was in.....they are all about the same so the guessing is hard....and its a big hassle...
its a very bulky and time wasting process....any hints on this? thanks
ann

Harold Mansfield
08-14-2010, 05:53 PM
By the new Windows, I assume you mean Windows 7 and not Vista. I thought that Windows 7 didn't come with an email client.
What's the name of the email program that you are using inside Windows? What's it called?

Windows Live? Outlook? Outlook Express? ???

greenoak
08-15-2010, 09:31 AM
thanks eborg....ours came with windows live....and yes its windows 7...

Harold Mansfield
08-15-2010, 01:10 PM
I had to read your original post a few times to understand...What I think you are saying is that you want to set your email up so that inbound email from all of your addresses go to one central address..one inbox.
Am I correct so far?

billbenson
08-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Eborg, I use thunderbird, but this is what I suspect is happening: You can set it up in either of the following ways, I have no idea how to do this in Windows.

bbenson at ...
inbox
sent
etc

sales at...
inbox
etc

support at...
inbox
etc

OR

inbox
all inboxes
all sent items
etc

-------------------------
I suspect Ann's is set up similar to my first example and wants the second. Thunderbird now comes with the default as the first setup when it used to be the second. I bet Windows does to.

greenoak
08-15-2010, 05:24 PM
yes...one box would be great..and that they would stay there...
...now THEY ALL GO TO ONE IN BOX....AND RIGHT under that are the 4 different addresses where the messages also go and remain......so initially they are in the top one and then in their own in box..the dissappearing from the main one is whats driving me nuts.... you know how you look at something and do the reply or whatever later? well later its not there if ive opened it... thats the problem.... the message is gone from the main box andi have to search for it under the different ones...
they are totally seperate email addresses....
dh said he didnt do it and thats how it was from buying it new....but they might have installed it ...its brand new...
i just want it simple and chronological like i always had with the other windows......for in and sent....
i can show dh any indeas you all come up with....his is that way too....getting rid of any addresses isnt an option i guess....
thanks.ann

Harold Mansfield
08-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Ann, I use Thunderbird as well to handle around 15 email addresses. I have the ones that I respond to the most all forwarded to one main address and I choose different signatures that I have set up from the drop down depending on from which I am replying to .

Under each email address all of my "sent" items are saved depending on which signature (or reply email ) I have used, as well as any folders that I have.

So my suggestion would be that you do the same...forward your emails to one main account that you can see and respond to all from one place, using different signatures.
If this is what you are looking for, I can help you do it with Thunderbird, but i have no idea about Windows Live since I don't use it...the main premise is simply forwarding the other emails to one account.

greenoak
08-15-2010, 05:38 PM
thank you so much. ...it sure sounds good..dh can probably do it if i get him in the right direction..........ann