PDA

View Full Version : Order From Nigeria

billbenson
07-22-2010, 12:57 AM
I've done business with some of the prominent scam countries before. This time Nigeria. I always do prepaid wire transfer. One of my clients is the oil and gas industry and there is plenty of that in Nigeria. I have a seperate bank account for these types of wires and pull the money out as soon as it arrives. My banker assures me that once the money hits my account, its mine. There is no way someone could get access to it.

I've never had any issues, but these are always a bit of a nail biter. It seems legit from all my standard checkpoints. It's 11k which is a nice order. Hate to pass it up.

I know others in the past have said they would never take these orders, but if the money is mine once it hits the bank...

Anybody see any potential problems? Like I said, my banker says I'm safe.

Spider
07-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Who could argue with the banker?

But, did he put it in writing?

Harold Mansfield
07-22-2010, 10:47 AM
I'd have to believe the banker. That IS a nail biter, but there are obviously legitimate businessmen there as much as anywhere else. It's just that the criminals received worldwide attention from a country that you would otherwise never hear about unless there was some kind of death and destruction involved.

I have heard instances from people with personal experience that have gotten burned even after the money hit the account and they withdrew it, but this was a few years ago and I have to assume that banks have gotten a little better about verifying actual funds..I mean that is what they do.

I don't think you are going to get any better opinion than your banker. He is the one closest to the actual transaction, responsible for settling up the funds and should be versed well in these instances.

vangogh
07-22-2010, 09:48 PM
I would think once the money is in your account it's yours. The banker would be the one to know and I'm not sure how the customer could get it back if you move it out of your account right away. I suppose at some point you have to trust the transaction is legit too.

Interesting that you set up a separate account for this kind of thing. A few years ago someone in Australia wanted me to do some work for him. When it came time for the deposit I asked for a credit card number, but he didn't want to give me one. He kept insisting on sending a direct deposit to my bank account. I was leery and opened a new account just for the purpose of accepting his deposit. I made one more request for a credit card after the new account was opened and never heard back from the guy.