PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a product to sell

billbenson
07-18-2010, 08:29 PM
On my current site I sell a very niche construction / safety product. Its a complicated product and requires phone sales in most cases, but all leads come from my web site and their aren't very many repeat orders. You buy the product and except for expansion, you don't need to buy it again for years. I'm a direct distributor for the manufacturer.

One of the things that happened with my current product is it was immediately profitable via adwords. Its also somewhat seasonal as its not used as heavily in the winter months. This year, Dec through Mar were horrible.

So I'm looking for a new product that I can promote via Adwords which is why I'm posting this in this forum.

Here is some of the criteria that would be ideal:

-Micro Niche
-somewhat expensive with good margin
-hard to find
-Used by Gov't - I've had order from the CIA to city water departments on my current product
-no telephone sales. I'm selling all day on the phone now and I hate it.
-B2B

I haven't done much searching yet. I've thought about snow removal equipment or season products used by cities.

I'm just kind of brain storming here so if anybody has any ideas...

rezzy
07-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Just off the top of my head, you could sell sand. For instance in locales which have yearly snow, they coud use alot of sand and salt.

Hopefully its not to off base of an idea.

billbenson
07-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Interesting thought rezzy, but that would require inventory and lots of operation costs. I want something that once set up can 80% run itself. No web based project can be completed and forgotten. I'd be happy if it made $500 to $1k in 6 mo to a year. Web stuff is slow, although you can kick start it with advertising.

Steve B
07-20-2010, 06:45 AM
I don't think meeting your criteria is possible. I can't imagine selling a high priced product to the gov't. without telephone and/or in-person sales. Otherwise, why would you be needed? All the manufacturers would just sell things directly off their websites.

billbenson
07-20-2010, 12:59 PM
If the product doesn't need a consultive sell, it is. I had an online sale for $5k a little while back. Some manufacturers do sell off their web sites. The thing is, most manufacturers are lousy at web marketing.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a $500 product. That would make the Adwords advertising inexpensive relative to the profit with a decent margin.

Steve B
07-21-2010, 05:57 AM
That makes more sense. I was thinking of a higher price point than that.

prettyimpress
08-09-2010, 08:34 AM
I'd say it's quite hard to meet your requirement.
If you can point out a kind of product, and then try to find manufacture. I think it will be easier.

billbenson
08-09-2010, 12:30 PM
I'd say it's quite hard to meet your requirement.
If you can point out a kind of product, and then try to find manufacture. I think it will be easier.

Well I have one now, so they do exist.