PDA

View Full Version : LLC Membership Certificate Question

KingHippo
09-02-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm supposed to fill out my membership certificates as the official last step of forming my business legally. However, I'm looking at the certificate and there are spaces for two (2) signatures at the bottom and I'm a single member LLC. Do I need a witness here or should I just sign twice? :cool:

Business Attorney
09-02-2008, 05:52 PM
You don't really need a membership certificate, but if you want to have one, just sign it twice or leave one line blank. Often the companies that sell LLC "kits" add them because there is so little needed for an LLC that their customers will feel ripped off if the seller doesn't pad the kit with extra junk (surprise, surprise).

"An operating agreement may provide that a member's interest in a limited liability company may be evidenced by a certificate of limited liability company interest issued by the limited liability company." (emphasis supplied by me) N.J. Stat. Ann. §§ 42:2B-44.c.

Evan
09-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Often the companies that sell LLC "kits" add them because there is so little needed for an LLC that their customers will feel ripped off if the seller doesn't pad the kit with extra junk (surprise, surprise).

Pretty much :D

You could just print one out in MS Word and it'd be worth the same amount of weight.

KingHippo
09-02-2008, 09:28 PM
Pretty much :D

You could just print one out in MS Word and it'd be worth the same amount of weight.

Yes I would have felt ripped off if they didn't give me these certificates. I must say though, they look as good as my college diploma. I think I'll sign it twice and then hang it on my wall. :)