PDA

View Full Version : Using Google to buy ad space on Fox

DarrenNegraeff
07-12-2010, 08:00 PM
This kind of crosses over from internet to traditional marketing, but I recently came across this story of how an editor at Slate used the internet to buy tv ad time through google and have his ad show up on Fox reruns. Definitely worth the 3-minute watch.

YouTube - How I Ran an Ad on Fox News (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peqnSTBnTVk)

Cheers,

vangogh
07-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Nice find Darren. I knew Google was getting into this, but I hadn't seen it in action or really knew much about how it works. I don't think we can say it's unrealistic for small businesses to have tv ads anymore. Slate didn't talk about the cost of producing the video itself, but assuming you can create a 30 second spot or hire someone to create it for you, getting it placed on air seems pretty easy and not too expensive. Certainly more than an add in the local paper, but within the budget of many small businesses.

The best part of course being how well you can target your commercial.

KristineS
07-13-2010, 01:16 PM
I used to work in local television and it was very cost effective for small businesses to buy local shows. Of course, shows with higher ratings cost more, but you could get a decent viewership for a relatively modest investment. A lot of stations will do packages too, which allow businesses with similar products or markets to come together and all get mentioned in one commercial.

There's also cable which is beyond cheap, but that's because viewership for most shows is so small. Again, more popular shows will cost more, but you can buy run of schedule cable spots for really cheap.

vangogh
07-13-2010, 01:52 PM
What's nice about going through Google is you have access to most of those cable stations and shows, but you can also which ones to buy time on based on the demographics of the audience. I'm sure you could get all the information from the cable stations as well, but so nice and easy all from one interface. You really can make a commercial on your own with a $200 camera, upload it through your computer, and watch as it airs later than night or whenever you're able to get an available block of time.

TravisPetelle
07-23-2010, 11:41 AM
yea, I heard about this new Google venture. They are offering freelancers to put up commercials on prime time channels too. I think it's great. Testing and tracking the best time slots for your investment return are going to be key factors with this method...just like any other marketing method.

But think if your 30 second commercial slot at 11:30 on ESPN that costs $2,000 racks in 10,000+ viewers. That could be nice chunk of change.

vangogh
07-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Welcome to the forum Travis. Yeah, I think it's a great thing too. Even with $2,000 for the ESPN commercial it's an opportunity most of us wouldn't have otherwise. I think this could help small business owners see that they can buy time on tv and even managed everything on their own. I'm sure the demographics and tracking is going to be great too.