PDA

View Full Version : In Honor of The First Day Of School...

KingHippo
09-02-2008, 05:10 AM
So I figured that I had a nice summer and all but its time to take things with my business super seriously. I remember way back in high school I had to get up around 5 AM every day. It seemed brutal but I still did it for 4 years.

In honor of what would have been the first day of school, I got up at 5 AM also. I want to see how awake I feel and how productive I can be. To be perfectly honest, I actually feel a lot better getting up at 5 AM now than I would have felt getting up around 9 AM like I did this summer. Maybe this is a good thing after all!

Leatherneck
09-02-2008, 05:25 AM
Congrats king hippo. maybe this will be the start of a new routine for you As they say the early bird catches the worm. ;)

Steve B
09-02-2008, 05:55 AM
Good for you.

I've been getting up before 4am (7 days a week) for about 15 years. I get lots of stuff done while the rest of the family is sleeping. The only problem is that I can't stay out late if we do anything social on the weekends. I'm pretty much ready to sleep around 9 or 10 pm.

Leatherneck
09-02-2008, 06:04 AM
I hear you on that one Steve. I have been the same way all of my career. I was going through some winters though where I would stay up late and sleep a little latter. As a rule I have always been a real early person,

KristineS
09-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm a night owl, so getting up at 4 am sounds like torture to me. I do know what you mean about working while everyone else is asleep though. You can get a lot done.

billbenson
09-02-2008, 11:29 AM
I work 11am until after midnight most days.

cbscreative
09-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Mak, I figured you were a night owl. It seemed like you were always up late with email when I was doing a project for you.

I'm definitely the night owl too, and my hours are about identical to what bill mentioned. I'm also in the Eastern time zone just like he is, and since I have clients across may time zones, these hours seem to work really well. Since the phone rarely rings after 8 or 9, I can work mostly undisurbed if I need to until 2 or 3 am. That's easier for me than getting up early, although I do on occasion.

Evan
09-02-2008, 06:42 PM
5AM for high school? Maybe I was the lazy one that woke up at 7AM before leaving by 7:20 to make it homeroom by 7:40.

College hasn't been any different, though some classes start at 6:50 -- I've managed to "luck out".

vangogh
09-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Steve those late night emails from Mak are sent first thing in the morning. We laugh sometimes that we're sometimes both awake at the same time, but on two different days from our perspectives. Me ending one day, he starting the next. Not unusual until you consider there's only a 2 hour time difference.

Even you weren't lazy. I woke up at 7:15 to catch the 7:20 bus.

In honor of high school, tomorrow I'm going to sleep through the day and not pay any attention to what's being said to me.

@KingHippo - I'm joking a little above, but I agree with everyone. Good for you. You have a good attitude about business and I think it's going to help you to be more productive. I'm usually more productive late at night so I end up staying up very late working. Not unusual to find me coding at 2:00 AM and beyond.

Evan
09-02-2008, 08:25 PM
In honor of high school, tomorrow I'm going to sleep through the day and not pay any attention to what's being said to me.

In honor of high school, I'll sleep in, show up late to all my appointments, focus on objects in the room instead of the person I'm speaking to, doodle often, constantly stare at my watch, and call it a day by 2PM.

cbscreative
09-02-2008, 11:37 PM
OK, it's midnight EST and most of the people in this thread are online right now.

billbenson
09-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Well, I think I'm going to call it an early night. 12:30 and I think I'll watch the tube for a few and hit the sack. I got up early today though - 9am. :)

orion_joel
09-03-2008, 01:22 AM
I had jobs that have required both ends of the scale, the first job i had i needed to be up at 5AM, (which was actually 2 hours earlier then i had needed to be up for high school). Now i am in a job that i dont start work until 6-6.30pm, and work through till 3 or 4 am most days. Inevitably this tends ot flow over to the weekend no matter how much i try and sleep earlier and be up earlier.

I have found it easy enough to work with both scenario's once i get into the routine, however i think that i personally tend to prefer afternoon to night then being up early in the morning. I think that the biggest thing with working like this is that you need to maintain the same pattern 7 days a week, maybe you can let a day drop if you need to stay out late one night, however you need to get back to the pattern straight away or it becomes to easy to say it is to difficult.

cbscreative
09-03-2008, 01:33 AM
This thread has also served to make another issue more obvious, although from my discussions with vangogh, it's something a little deeper in the vB software. We are about 20+ minutes off on the clock, but it's one of those back burner issues to fix. We are aware of it though because I noticed it early on with the forum, but there are other things to work on. Vangogh has done an awesome job of fixing known issues. Most recently, you might have noticed the rep points now show numbers, which is more meaningful than just the squares.

Anyway, now it's time fo rme to sign out at almost 2 am, even though it will show 1:35ish or the equivilent for your time zone.

vangogh
09-03-2008, 02:09 AM
It's just coming up on 12:30 for me. When I was in high school I was usually up long past 12:30 so I'm just acting normal.

The clock issue is with the server, not the vB software. Server stuff will take me a little more time to figure out and get to, but I'll eventually find the time to get the clock set. It's annoying, but I figure it's not the most important thing.

cbscreative
09-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I agree it's not a priority issue even though there is some annoyance to it. It especially shows up when we talk about the time like this and the time stamp doesn't match.

orion_joel
09-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Steve, i thought the time thing just didn't match because i was in a different time zone, i was not even thinking in regards to the clock not matching in the respect you have brought up now.

Hmm, i was going to mention something about an actual time at the bottom of the page, however i just looked and there actually is one there, i was sure i had previously looked and not found one, but maybe i was not looking hard enough. It is actually off by about 25 minutes for me. Doesnt bother me a lot though, because mostly i am replying to a post and i can look at time relative to my reply.

vangogh
09-04-2008, 01:22 AM
You should be able to set your time zone in your control panel. For me the time shows GMT -6, since I'm 6 hours behind Greenwich. The clock on the server is off though by about 24 minutes I think.

It's showing 11:19, while my computer is telling me it's 11:43

billbenson
09-04-2008, 02:29 AM
For those interested, I had a time problem on emails. From what I figured out, the email time stamp is generally set by the senders ISP which could be a wrong time. There may be ways to override this though. Dunno? It seemed that sometimes the senders time stamp was set by the senders Outlook (or whatever email program). It also appeared that this may or may not be overwritten by the ISP time stamp. And if it sits in the ISP's queue for an hour??

cbscreative
09-04-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm thinking if it's the server that has the wrong time, then it's not something we are likely to be able to adjust. That will likely require an admin from the hosting co.

vangogh
09-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Steve, we're or me I guess is the admin on the server. When you move from shared hosting to virtual private servers then you're responsible for a few more things. The hosting company manages some stuff for us and should be making sure we stay up and running. Smaller things like the server clock falls to us.