PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever been to a meetup?

prova.fm
07-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Hey, While link surfing, I stumbled upon a website called meetup. People in my area (San Diego), with common interests (Know what twitter is), apparently meetup. I'm just curious if anyone's been a part of one of these. They sound good. I wonder how odd it is putting a face to the name.

If experienced, what do these groups usually do when they meetup?

Just curious. Thanks,
-David

Spider
07-09-2010, 05:30 PM
I have often attended Meetup group meetings. In truth, Meetup.com is simply a place online that groups of people can let their interest be known to attract likeminded people and to arrange their meetings. There is no connection between the various groups and Meetup is not an organisation - it is a specialized platform to help groups announce and arrange their meetings. And a very useful facility it is, too.

Patrysha
07-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Nope not yet...though I have met people that I've met through Twitter :-) I have joined Meetup...there's just not much going on in my community. I did get a phone call one day from someone who found me there and we did eventually meet...turns out she is one of the bartenders at my pt job...

Harold Mansfield
07-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Interestingly, on NYBlogs, I feed New York area Meet Ups in with the activity stream and they are some of the most popular views, I've never been to one in my area but it seems to be very beneficial for finding people with similar interests in your area.

prova.fm
07-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Great. I'm going to try to go to one. The Twitter one doesn't seem to be active, but there's a few more I can ease into.

KristineS
07-12-2010, 02:56 PM
I've heard of this, and know people who have used it, but I haven't delved into it much. I think it probably works a little better in larger areas. Where I live the cities are smaller and people are more spread out.

I also know that some people have taken the Meet Up concept and used it to have what they call 'Tweetups". Tweetups are when you get together with people you follow and who follow you on Twitter. From what I've heard, these Tweetups can be fun and quite valuable.

Patrysha
07-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah while I have tried, I still haven't made it to the nearest city (there are like four other ppl from the area on Twitter...okay not four...but really no one in my target market that is on Twitter...I know I'm constantly scanning for local and near local people...I've already met one and a couple of others I knew before they joined Twitter.

I do have one Twitter follower coming and hoping to have more come for a Whitecourt Tweetup - to coincide with the Free Concert at the end of the summer...even if it does just stay the one it will be pretty cool.

Paper Shredder Clay
07-15-2010, 05:54 PM
I have, too, thought about attending a meetup funciton, but so far I haven't; although I am on their email list.

TravisPetelle
07-23-2010, 12:15 PM
I go to 3 meetup meetings weekly and host one myself once a month. They are a great way to network with like minded individuals and get your business know. NOw just like any other business group, you can't go in full promotion of what you do. You will get nothing out of that. Every single person that goes to these things is trying to get their business name out there. You have to remember that.

The best approach that has brought me great success is to go to these things without even considering mentioning my business or what I do. I don't bring business cards. I bring a small notepad. Now, I go and talk to everyone for a good 5-10 minutes each and I get to know them. I let them give me their elevator speech. I ask them about their business and what their ideal customers are. Everything they say, I write down. At the end of our short conversation, I ask for a business card and tell them that if I ever run into someone that fits their ideal customer I will recommend them.

Now, the part where this works is actually recommending them when you find that ideal customer. The second you send a business owner a new customer they will be scaling the earth to find you and thank you. What you just did was break the barrier of it's all about me. You've built an alliance between two business owners that can be beneficial to both of you. Do this for a month and you will never have to prospect again. I don't. People are knocking at my door saying 'oh, Danny from Danny's plumbing told me I should talk to you about my marketing strategy'.

Networking has been the most powerful aspect of my business and has gotten me to the point of being able to turn down more potential clients than taking them on. Meetups was one of the first places I did this because at first I couldn't afford CoC membership or BNI groups.

Try it, I bet you will see great results.

Travis

prova.fm
07-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks Travis. What 3 meetups do you do weekly? Are they all through meetup.com?

I just started there with the SDTweetup. It hasn't had a meetup in a year. I also joined SD WordPress meetup. No meetups scheduled. I've just started, so I'll look around for others. I'm curious what kind of groups you've joined (like do you have something in common with them).

And where do your meetups meet?

Thanks,
-David

Spider
07-23-2010, 02:09 PM
...The best approach that has brought me great success is to go to these things without even considering mentioning my business or what I do. I don't bring business cards. I bring a small notepad. Now, I go and talk to everyone for a good 5-10 minutes each and I get to know them. I let them give me their elevator speech. I ask them about their business and what their ideal customers are. Everything they say, I write down. At the end of our short conversation, I ask for a business card and tell them that if I ever run into someone that fits their ideal customer I will recommend them.
Now, the part where this works is actually recommending them when you find that ideal customer. The second you send a business owner a new customer they will be scaling the earth to find you and thank you. What you just did was break the barrier of it's all about me. You've built an alliance between two business owners that can be beneficial to both of you. ... Excellent, Travis! This is EXACTLY how to network and use networking meetings.

I have been trying to tell people this for years and almost no-one ever believes me or networks it in that fashion.

Well done!

TravisPetelle
07-25-2010, 07:32 PM
There are about 10 meetup groups that meet at least once a week if not more where I'm at. But I live in a big city so that helps a lot. They are all business owners looking to network their business heavily. Some of the meetings are in business conference rooms...some are in starbucks...it really doesn't matter as long as you are meeting like minded individuals.

I also regurarly attend BNI, Chamber of Commerce, etc meetings.

You're right Spider...it's the only way to network. I might not walk out of a meeting with a client like everyone else is trying to do, but I walk out of a meeting with someone who is going to eventually tell someone about me.

KristineS
07-28-2010, 01:02 PM
It sounds like you get the concept of social media Travis. So many people go online or go to functions and all they can think about is their business and their message and what the benefit is to them. As a result, they come across as self centered and actually turn people off. Being open and interested in others is the best way to form relationships and relationships are a great way to increase your business. Everyone wants to do business with people they know and trust.

prova.fm
07-28-2010, 01:11 PM
I went to a few meetups this weekend. They were great. I had a fun time & got to meet a few people & get connected to some groups. It's a great idea, & also has the benefit of helping me learn some fun places to go in this great city (San Diego). I found some fun places that I wouldn't have gone to otherwise.