PDA

View Full Version : What's in a Good Press Release?

KristineS
08-31-2008, 11:17 PM
I talk to a lot of small business owners and it constantly amazes me how many of them don't know about press releases or don't know what makes one something that industry magazines or the newspaper will want to print.

A good press release contains an item that is newsworthy and will be of interest to publications in your industry. If you develop a new product or promote someone from VP to President, you're probably going to want to put out a release. If you hire a new janitor or get the windows cleaned on your building, that's not worth a release.

What else should a good and effective press release contain?

Patrysha
09-01-2008, 09:58 AM
In my opinion unless you are already active with your publicity campaign (or a huge company) then sending any "new hires" messages are going to get trashed unless there's a compelling story with them that creates a decent newsworthy hook (disabilities that have been overcome, first minority in a high position, youngest individual in a certain position). Unless, of course, your target market is reading your industries trade mags and newspapers...

In traditional copywriting the question is "What's in it for me?" - in press releases it's "why should I care?" or more importantly "Why should my readers/listeners/viewers care?"

A good press release would contain - a strong, benefit driven headline followed by the who, what, when where and a compelling reason why...solid quotes that are well thought out and quotable increase your chances of pick up as well.

Of course, contact information that goes to a source that you know has some common sense (if not media training) is going to be key as well for the journalist to follow up with if they choose to run the story. Lots of stories get killed because the person contacted did not sound media friendly (rambled on, wasn't up to date on the information being sought) and many get killed because no one responded on deadline.

KristineS
09-01-2008, 12:57 PM
In my opinion unless you are already active with your publicity campaign (or a huge company) then sending any "new hires" messages are going to get trashed unless there's a compelling story with them that creates a decent newsworthy hook (disabilities that have been overcome, first minority in a high position, youngest individual in a certain position). Unless, of course, your target market is reading your industries trade mags and newspapers...

I definitely agree with you about this. A competitor of one of the companies for which I work puts out a release every time they hire a new janitor. It's really quite ridiculous. As you say, unless there's a compelling reason why the story is interesting, it shouldn't be in a release.

KarenB
09-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Another timely topic for me!

I am currently working on rewriting someone's press release. It's to announce the launch of a new product/program and while the main content is solid, it has been written more like the type of copy that would be more appropriate on a sales/landing page. The entire tone is too "sales-y" and reads more like a slick advertisement than an announcement of a valuable new product and the who, what, when, where and why behind it.

I've found that folks who write their own press releases may become so excited about their new product or service that they sometimes tend to write "sales" copy instead of "news" copy. The difference can be subtle, but very important, I think.

Karen

KristineS
09-01-2008, 03:35 PM
I've found that folks who write their own press releases may become so excited about their new product or service that they sometimes tend to write "sales" copy instead of "news" copy. The difference can be subtle, but very important, I think.

I think a lot of people think as a press release as an opportunity to sell and make exactly the mistake you've mentioned. It's too bad really, because a press release is a great way to get your business noticed, but it won't happen if you're too oriented toward sales and not oriented enough toward information.

The difference is subtle, as you said, but it is quite important.

Dan Furman
09-01-2008, 10:08 PM
I definitely agree with you about this. A competitor of one of the companies for which I work puts out a release every time they hire a new janitor. It's really quite ridiculous. As you say, unless there's a compelling reason why the story is interesting, it shouldn't be in a release.

It really depends what they are doing it for. The press release game has changed markedly in the past decade.

These days, press releases are used more for backlinks and SEO than for "getting out the news". And if that's the focus, really, who cares if a trade pub prints them in their magazine, or some newspaper picks it up? Big companies care about that - yes, GM wants a press release in the paper. The NY Yankees want their press release printed in the Daily News. But Shifty Slim's Yankee Memorabilia? He wants google hits more than anything. A steady flow of one release a month is part of his marketing efforts.

Still, a PR should be newsworthy, but that's a bit of a misnomer, too. Any skilled / creative writer can make just about anything sound newsworthy and interesting. Clean the windows? Let's talk - maybe I can write about how your company has noticed an increased level of productivity by allowing more sunlight in (that's extreme, obviously, and thought up on the fly while posting, but it makes the point :) )

To be honest, I can't remember the last time I wrote an honest to goodness "real" press release that was mainly going for print publication. Maybe a hundred releases ago?

KristineS
09-02-2008, 11:20 AM
You do have a point Dan, the press release game has changed since so many more venues have opened up for releases. Since there are now a lot more places where releases can be published, a lot more releases are making it in front of the public.

I do write standard releases for print publication, but then one of the industries in which our company works is being very slow about climbing on the Internet bandwagon.

You're also right that a skilled writer can make anything sound newsworthy. I've done that a few times myself.

Dan Furman
09-02-2008, 12:58 PM
You do have a point Dan, the press release game has changed since so many more venues have opened up for releases. Since there are now a lot more places where releases can be published, a lot more releases are making it in front of the public.

I do write standard releases for print publication, but then one of the industries in which our company works is being very slow about climbing on the Internet bandwagon.

You're also right that a skilled writer can make anything sound newsworthy. I've done that a few times myself.

It's interesting, really.

I had a conversation with an old-time PR guy last year. He *hated* what the internet had done to his business. Essentially, it opened up the floodgates for the masses - time was when you had to be "in the know" to just get something "released". Now anyone can get a release released at PRWeb.

Yes, it still takes someone skilled at the business (and "in the know") to get something in front of the NY Times editor. But for the regular day to day stuff for average companies, it's a much more open industry than it used to be. Which is a good thing, in my opinion.

cbscreative
09-02-2008, 02:07 PM
I'd say the effects of sources like PRWeb are both good and bad. Yes, it makes it so anyone can do a PR, and now a lot of anyone's do. To get published, you still need to have something interesting that has quality, and the people looking for good material are having to weed through lot of junk to find anything of value. The same is true for articles.

There are also those as mentioned that do this just for link building. At one time, that was effective. But due to the onslaught of garbage, it has little or no value any more. Unless you are getting published on an "authoritative" site, it's mostly a waste of time for those thinking they will gain much by it. And since they're the ones actually producing nothing but noise, it is definitely a useless waste Internet space. If it makes them happy, fine, there are certainly worse ways they could be wasting time. At least they are generally harmless.

KarenB
09-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Great points, Dan, Kristine and Steve.

Back in May 2006, I submitted my first press release to announce the launch of my own business via www.PRWeb.com. Their online service was free then, unless one wanted extra exposure and features.

Now, it costs $80 for the bare minimum and ranges up to $360 for "Media Visibility" - Guaranteed distribution through the Associated Press to top US newspapers and media outlets. Add an embedded video to your press release. Advanced analytics show you where your news is being read.

Wow! I have to wonder how much of that automated distribution content is actually being picked up and published by the newswires. Just because your press release is being fed through those feeds, does it guarantee publication?

I'm kind of thinking not and had to laugh at Dan's comment, "To be honest, I can't remember the last time I wrote an honest to goodness 'real' press release that was mainly going for print publication. Maybe a hundred releases ago?"

Ad-Vice_Man
09-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Oh I don't know depending on the situation. hiring a new janitor could be newsworthy.

IE.. XYZ Pro Clean hires Tim Smith as 100th Janitor thus making Xyz the largest Janitorial service in the region.

or

Beloved "Dead President" High School Janitor Joe Floorbuffer, hired by XYZ Industries as part of the outsourcing of Janitorial services from the school board. Students Cheer as their favorite school staff member is allowed to finish his career at the school he's spent his life cleaning.

KristineS
09-03-2008, 01:57 PM
There are always going to be situations when almost anything can be made newsworthy. The examples you gave, Ad-Vice Man, aptly illustrate some of those types of situations.

I do, however, think there is a difference between pointing out something that is truly a news or human interest story, and just putting out a release because it's Wednesday and you want to see your name in print.

Useful press releases will be in the former category.

Ad-Vice_Man
09-03-2008, 02:20 PM
i agree with you i was just feeling contrary and felt like doing some creative writing.

cbscreative
09-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Well, that was creative, Ad-Vice Man. It actually reminded me of a real life situation, though I imagine the janitor from my school probably retired in normal fashion. These days, your scenario could be real.

I went to a country elementary school of probably around 250 or so kids, K-6. We had a janitor there who everyone loved. To the entire school, he was "Uncle Bob." That was a different era though, seeing my elementary school years were 1966-72.