PDA

View Full Version : New Here

Don Schneider
06-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi,

I’m a small businessman from Philadelphia. I have an accounting background. As soon as I have time, I wanted to make a post regarding credit management for small businesses which sell to other businesses. I have no experience with selling to consumers. Since I have experience as both an accountant and as a small business owner, I thought my insights might be helpful to some.

The gist of what I want to say is that having too few bad debts can be as damaging to a business as having too many. This is a consideration that I find many business owners and credit managers fail to appreciate, perhaps because it sounds counterintuitive.

I enjoy reading and writing. I write fiction and nonfiction at my website and have had a short story published on an internet zine. It’s a thinly-veiled personal memoir of my most unhappy childhood days as a Catholic parochial school student in the sixties. My profile indicates that I am 53. Actually, I’m 55. I’m not an age denier. I apparently just clicked on the wrong year.

Best regards to all here!

Don Schneider

Business Attorney
06-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Welcome to the forum, Don. I'll look forward to reading your posts.

vangogh
06-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Welcome to the forum Don. Many, many years ago I lived in Philadelphia for a couple of years. I went to school at Drexel in the early 80's.

By the way you should be able to change the year on your birthdate here. I think you can. Click User CP in the upper left and look for the link to your profile. I think that's where it is. If you can't find it or the system won't let you change it just let me know. I should be able to change it for you. In fact I know I can.

Spider
06-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Welcome aboard, Don.

Blessed
06-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Welcome to the forum Don!

cbscreative
06-21-2010, 11:48 PM
53 or 55 doesn't matter. Welcome to our non discriminating forum.

dynocat
06-22-2010, 02:20 AM
Welcome, Don. In numbers, I have you beat either way. Besides once you hit 50, it's all downhill! Just Kidding :D

The gist of what I want to say is that having too few bad debts can be as damaging to a business as having too many.

Is the word, "bad," what you meant to write there? Or maybe I'm not understanding. Could explain how it would be good for a business to have any "bad" debts?

hdm
06-22-2010, 06:00 AM
Welcome to this young-minded forum, Don.

Yes, I was wondering what you meant by having too few bad debts can be as damaging to a business as having too many.

Steve B
06-22-2010, 07:46 AM
My older brother and sisters went to Catholic school (in the Philly area) in the 60's - they sure seem to have given lots of "memorable" experiences to the kids. I was younger and got to go to the public schools when it was my turn for school (in the late 60's).

Don Schneider
06-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Welcome to the forum, Don. I'll look forward to reading your posts.

Thank you, BA. It's most appreciated!

Don Schneider
06-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Welcome to the forum Don. Many, many years ago I lived in Philadelphia for a couple of years. I went to school at Drexel in the early 80's.

By the way you should be able to change the year on your birthdate here. I think you can. Click User CP in the upper left and look for the link to your profile. I think that's where it is. If you can't find it or the system won't let you change it just let me know. I should be able to change it for you. In fact I know I can.

Thank you vangogh!

Drexel is a top notch university. I hope you enjoyed your stay in our fair city.

I’ve been to the user CP, and if it is possible to change one’s birth year, I can’t seem to be able to figure it out. Since you are apparently either the owner of this forum or a moderator, I’d be appreciative to accept your offer. Please change my year of birth to 1954.

Thanks much again for the welcome and this splendid forum. Both are appreciated!

Don

Don Schneider
06-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Welcome aboard, Don.

Thank you, Spider. As a Navy veteran, I appreciate your particular metaphor!

Don

Don Schneider
06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Welcome to the forum Don!

Thanks, Blessed!

Don

vangogh
06-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Don you should now be showing your correct year of birth.

Don Schneider
06-22-2010, 10:32 AM
53 or 55 doesn't matter. Welcome to our non discriminating forum.

Thank you, CB and for your, er, doubtlessly discriminating good taste!

Don Schneider
06-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Welcome, Don. In numbers, I have you beat either way. Besides once you hit 50, it's all downhill! Just Kidding :D

Is the word, "bad," what you meant to write there? Or maybe I'm not understanding. Could explain how it would be good for a business to have any "bad" debts?

Thanks, dynocat! Truth be told, all in all, I’d rather be twenty. However, when one considers the alternative, getting older isn’t all that bad.

In regard to your question, there is, of course, no such thing as a good bad debt. That would be a contradiction in terms. In theory, no bad debts is highly desirable. However, there is a world of difference between theory and reality in many cases. Please see my recent post under “Managing Your Business” for what I meant.

Thanks again!

Don

Don Schneider
06-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Don you should now be showing your correct year of birth.

Thanks, VG!

don