PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for copywriting books?

vangogh
08-06-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm always looking for a good book on copywriting. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks.

Patrysha
08-06-2008, 09:09 PM
There are soooo many...

Are you looking for something comprehensive? Something solid but inexpensive? Something that focuses on the craft or the lifestyle or the marketing? Do you prefer a real book or an e-book.

Patrysha
Small Business Integrated Marketing Consultant (http://www.pkmarketingsolutions.com)

vangogh
08-06-2008, 09:40 PM
I know it was a loaded question on my part. I do a lot of copywriting, but have never really studied it formally. I'm fine with either a real book or an ebook, though if we're talking money I'd lean toward the real book.

I am looking for something that focuses on the craft and the marketing. Not so much the lifestyle. Something to help me be a better copywriter in order to market myself better and help increase sales and conversions.

Comprehensive is good and while I've picked up a lot of information over the years I don't mind something that starts with the basics since I have no formal training as a copywriter.

Thanks.

Patrysha
08-08-2008, 09:42 AM
I've heard good things about Clayton Makepeace's latest offering, though I haven't read it myself - it is getting good reviews and is comprehensive with lots of real life samples. Haven't looked at it with more than hope in my eyes as the price point was out of my comfort zone at the moment.

How To Write A Good Advertisement by Victor Schwab - A classic - so old but still relevant

The Ultimate Sales Letter - by Dan Kennedy

Breakthrough Advertising - by Eugene Schwartz

vangogh
08-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks. I'm one one of Clayton Makepeace's mailing list and I also know the name Dan Kennedy. Eugene Schwartz is new to me.

Same for me on the price point. Isn't it like $200 or something close to that. At that price I need to be able to read a chapter in the bookstore before making up my mind, but it has gotten great reviews. It looks like what I want, but I'll have to wait until it's in the budget.

KarenB
08-10-2008, 02:10 PM
The Everything Guide to Writing Copy (http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Guide-Writing-Copy-Air/dp/1598692518/) by Steve Slaunwhite.

Down-to-earth advice; very readable and affordable (via Amazon).

Great for beginners and experts alike.

Karen

vangogh
08-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks Karen. I just bookmarked it. I also converted the book title in your post to a link to the book at Amazon.

Dan Furman
08-10-2008, 10:41 PM
I just finished writing one that's largely about website writing and website conversion. It's in the editor's hands now.

Amazon Link Here (http://www.amazon.com/Do-Web-Write-Writing-Marketing/dp/1551808323)

It's coming out in November or so - it'll be in my sig then.

vangogh
08-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Very cool Dan. I bookmarked the page at Amazon and will look for your signature to know the book is available.

And congrats on having a book published. If you want send me a PM as a reminder when it's officially out.

Marcomguy
08-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Congratulations on the book, Dan.

My additions to the list:

Tested Advertising Methods by John Caples.
The Copywriter's Handbook by Bob Bly.

The Gene Schwartz book is highly coveted, especially by direct-mail writers. I've heard it called "the book most frequently stolen from public libraries," but I don't know how anyone figured that out.

jem
02-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I know this thread is a little old but was about to post a book Q and found it.

I have read a lot of Dan Kennedy (NO BS series, Sales Letter etc), own Magnetic Marketing and am also a member of his Insider Circle. His style is very much about results - which I like!!! His style is very different - I found it hard to break out of corporate America speak into what I affectionately call "Hard Sell". Still trying it out but hope to post some results soon!

I've seen this book as well "Robert Collier Letter Book" - was wondering if anybody has read it and/or have an opinion?????

Simon

Dan Furman
02-08-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm glad you bumped this, as it allows me to noyice it and update what I wrote earlier.

My earlier-mentioned book is still waiting to be printed. I didn't like the way they laid it out when I read the Galley copy in Oct, so I asked them to re-do it (I figured since it's my second book, I had enough juice to get it the way I wanted.)

That delayed things a few months - it might be getting printed as I type (second week of Feb they said, in stores perhaps a month later.)

My problem with it was they used a two-column layout, which didn't work well with this particular book, as I had 30+ screenshots / samples. So when I was talking about a subheading and referred to a picture for an example, they had that picture two pages later. I realize that happens all the time, but it happens much less with a one-column layout. So I requested one-column, and got my way :)

It caused a delay, but in the end, it's a better book, which is the most important part to me.

KristineS
02-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Congratulations on the new book Dan. You'll have to remind us when it gets closer to being available for purchase.