PDA

View Full Version : What Makes You Read a Blog

KristineS
08-31-2008, 10:26 AM
This always interests me because my reading habits are so widespread. Some blogs I read for information. Some I read for entertainment. Some I read, even though the subject has nothing to do with my life, because they are so well written.

I'm wondering about the rest of you. What makes you read a blog and what would prompt you to add it to your daily read list?

Harold Mansfield
08-31-2008, 10:55 AM
I read other music blogs, just to check up on my competitors. Most blogs in my niche are self serving and rarely have updated information.
I do read industry blogs from the top 2, just to see if I scooped them on anything.

A well designed blog will hold my attention for a while as long as the information is fresh, and not a long sales pitch.
I have a hard time reading blogs on default templates, I kinda figured they didn't make the effort. I am not a nostalgic person when it comes to Kubrick (Word Press).

I also find it hard to take free hosted blogs seriously.

I prefer blogs that have information. I am not so interested in many humor blogs because most people just really are not that funny. Very few can pull it off.

I guess I'm a blog snob :) which is strange because my current events/political blog is all opinion (in the featured section).

vangogh
09-01-2008, 03:11 AM
I read mostly blogs mostly for information, though sometimes I'll read onr for entertainment or simply because it's so well written.

I started reading blogs to learn SEO, so those were the first I subscribed to and I've tended to follow the links in them to the next blog and the next blog. Overall the blogs I read still tend to be SEO/Marketing and Design/Development related.

Leatherneck
09-01-2008, 02:11 PM
I agree with you Steve. Lawrence the owner of gardenstructure.com, who I'm affiliated with, and this other blog writter that calls himself the world famous fence wizzard both have a lot of informative reading too learn and get ideas from.

KristineS
09-01-2008, 03:37 PM
So most people don't read blogs just for fun?

There are several blogs I read just because I like the writing and the worldview of the blogger. I don't necessarily learn anything from these people, I just enjoy the way they tell a story.

Am I the only one who does that?

vangogh
09-01-2008, 05:50 PM
At the moment I'm not really subscribed to anything most people would consider just for fun, but I actually think what I do for work is fun so to me some are just entertainment.

KristineS
09-01-2008, 06:58 PM
O.k., that's a fair point.

Harold Mansfield
09-01-2008, 09:29 PM
The only thing is...before I started blogging, I did read a few, but now, I blog about the stuff that I would normally look to others for, so there is no need to read them, unless I am just checking on the competition.

There is no need for me to read someone else's Dance Music blog, because I have so much information sent in to me from all over, so I am already "in the loop". so-to-speak.

My political opinion blog is just me blowing off steam ,and my own thoughts about the world, so I am careful not to read others, so I don't steal their jokes.

Now that I blog everyday, on 2 different blogs, the last thing I want to do when I'm done with my own sites, is read someone else's just for entertainment.

KristineS
09-01-2008, 10:03 PM
I suppose that's a fair point too. Although I find reading other blogs gives me insight and ideas for my own blogs.

Considering that I can write for up to six blogs on any given day, I need a lot of inspiration.

vangogh
09-02-2008, 11:11 AM
eborg I think it's important to read other blogs in your industry to keep up with what's going on in general. I want to know what my competition is doing so I can learn from them and also find ideas to incorporate into my own blog.

KristineS
09-02-2008, 11:22 AM
I also think reading other blogs that cover the same subjects as you do is a great way to find other blogs for your network. Blogging is as much about who you know as it is about how you write. Creating a blogroll and getting added to other people's blogrolls is a terrific way to promote your blog. Reading other blogs in your subject area is a great way to find blogs that could be potential promotional partners.