PDA

View Full Version : Google Adplanner

phanio
06-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Has anyone used google adplanner and what are your thoughts?

I saw this a few months back. Signed up as I do for everything google (??) but it does not seem to tracking my analytics thus it looks like a have a blank web site.

Is adplanner still operational and if so, does it work?

vangogh
06-15-2010, 10:07 PM
I haven't tried it. I think they sent me an email when it first came out. Over the years I've become less confident in Google's ability to deliver me a decent product. I've watched a few applications I used that they took over work worse after they took over. FeedBurner is a good example. It's done nothing but go downhill ever since Google acquired it. Lately it seems to have issues connecting to Google Reader on a weekly basis.

phanio
06-21-2010, 01:27 PM
You are probably right - seems that google is trying to go in to many directions these days - seems they want to be both google and microsoft at the same time.

But, the idea is a good one - making it easier to attract and manage online ads.

vangogh
06-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Yeah, don't take my comments above as something to talk you out of using AdPlanner. I see it recommended all the time. It's definitely a good idea to have help attracting and managing ads. In some industries there are other sites that offer the same thing.

For example BuySellAds (http://buysellads.com/). Same basic thing, though with BuySellAds you need a high level of traffic before they'll admit you as a publisher. Google comes in without that same restriction. Of course less traffic is always going to mean less money from advertisers and less advertisers being interested.

I kind of forgot when I posted above, but I have actually tried AdManager. I signed up for it early on, but never did much with it. I guess I still have an active account. One other advantage of AdManager is they'll backfill your unsold spots with AdSense. Say you ad space for 10,000 pageviews over the month and you end you end up getting 12,000 pageviews. Google will fill the extra 2,000 views with AdSense so you can still be making money. I think that's how it works. Like I said I didn't get very far with my exploration of AdManager. Maybe I should look again.