PDA

View Full Version : Getting an article published

DOT
06-07-2010, 11:08 PM
I’ve seen numerous articles written where at the end of article it says “the author John Doe is an expert in yyyyyy and the owner of zzzzzzzz” I believe we have several topics that would make for interesting reading, possibly in the weekend travel section.

How do you go about approaching a newspaper, magazine, website about publishing an article, not about your company but about something you are an expert at? Just as an example, I believe we could provide an article concerning the Mille Miglia classic car race that occurs each year in Italy. I think this could be written for the travel section of the newspaper or possibly the automobile section. Do you write an article and send it to the editor for their consideration? Or do you send a letter proposing an article? What is the proper approach?

Thanks
Doug

vangogh
06-07-2010, 11:25 PM
I've been one of those people being cited as an author on quite a few sites so I can fill you in a bit on how that works. It depends a little on the topic, but many bloggers will offer guest posting opportunities and some will also pay for the post. Usually a site that makes money selling advertising needs content. The more content they have, the more visitors the site gets, and the more advertisers are willing to pay. As a business model it makes sense for them to hire others to write content.

You mentioned owning a travel agency. Look around and see if there are blogs in the travel space and start following some. There are probably some sites that will pay for a good article or at least let you write one. If you see sites that publish content, but don't specifically mention they let others write then you can still pitch them in an email. Have at least a title for an article and an outline or summary and simply ask. Let the owner of the site know you've been following their blog and have an article you think their audience would be interested. Some sites will say yes.

It works the same really for magazines. You either write the full article or at least have an outline or summary and find the contact to send it to. There are books (Writer's Market Handbook or something like that) that will list magazines and book publishers with who to contact. You want to do your best to match the magazine with the article you're writing. Travel articles are big if I remember right. And the best part is if you're getting paid then much of your travel is tax deductible.

It'll be harder to get published in a magazine than on a website and with a magazine there will be a more formal process for how you need to submit your article or idea. Look for the Writer's Market Handbook. It'll be in the writing section at any of the chain bookstores.

I'm not sure if you can break into newspapers the same way. Years ago I wrote a few articles for a very local paper. I responded to an add I think. No pay, but I did get to see myself published. Often with magazines and newspapers the more you've been published elsewhere the greater the odds they'll accept you.

In my case writing for other sites now I didn't do any of the above. I blog myself and I've been working very hard to write the highest quality articles I can and then I've done a little bit of promotion on each article. Over the last few months others have noticed and started contacting me and suddenly I've become an in-demand writer within the web design community.

Harold Mansfield
06-07-2010, 11:48 PM
A lot of articles online are from article marketing sites ( They actually call them 'Article Submission' sites) like Ezine Articles, Associated Content, and others. There are tons of them.

Up until about a year ago, article marketing was a big thing to do for SEO in order to gain backlinks.

These article sites don't require anything to submit an article. You just make an account, follow a few simple rules and post your article with your self written bio with a link or 2.

As far as SEO goes, they don't carry the weight they use to, but it is still a popular way for webmasters and bloggers to spread content around the web. Especially since many of them have been around for a while, an article posted on them may have a better shot of getting seen, than a brand new blog would.

You can submit your own articles to those type of sites. Certainly not the credibility of getting published on an organized industry website or blog, but still a viable way to get an article online.

Patrysha
06-08-2010, 09:33 AM
There are a few different ways to get published.

For traditional magazines the typical process is send a query (a short cover letter covering the gist/angle of the story you propose with a brief outline of your skills and style) and clips (links to previously written or preferably published articles). Most magazines will accept these by email now, but some of the larger ones still insist on the snail mail with SASE (Self Address Stamped Envelope).

For web magazines you will typically find a write for us tab/link on the site with author's guidelines and instructions on how to submit your query or completed article.

Breaking into newspapers can vary. It really depends on the newspaper where they are getting their content from, whether they tend to rely on staff writers, freelance writers or the wires for their content. The place to start with a smaller paper would be the editor...with a larger paper you'd want to get in touch with the section editor (eg. lifestyles or travel in your case). You can also go the way of applying to the syndicates (AP for example) to write through.

DOT
06-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Great information. The replies reflect what I thought I needed to do to get some articles published. I'm not really interested in getting paid thou that would be nice bonus. The real goal is to get people interested in traveling to Italy and also to get our company's name out there.

vangogh
06-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Years ago I was thinking of becoming a freelance magazine writer. One of the things I remember specifically about travel writing was to look to those magazines in the seat back on airplanes. Lots of travel stuff and usually an easier place to get published in print for the first time.

Offline you're probably going to have to work your way up to where you really want to be. Get published anywhere so you can list it on the next query letter. Online you probably want to publish some articles on your own site so you have something to point to and then you'd want to find and approach other sites asking them if you can write for them.

Patrysha
06-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Actually if you combine this with your other question you have a two in one answer...you could write to Ferrari clubs asking if they have a newsletter and would like to review an article about the tour...

Get as close as you can to key niche markets like this could be very effective...and a note like that is less likely to be confused with spam than any other approach you might take.

Spider
06-09-2010, 09:52 AM
The way you write an e-mail to someone you have never written to before has a great bearing on how it is accepted - is it spam or is it not?

If the e-mail sounds like it is a bulk message, it will be considered as such - "Dear Editor" could be sent to a million other recipients. Find the person's name and write to them specifically - "Dear Ms.Madison..."

Refer to their website or where you obtained their e-mail address - this even more makes it a 'one-off' message, not bulk.

Don't offer to write for their publication - offering something is what every piece of spam does. Instead, ask for something - information. "What is the correct procedure to submit an article for your consideration?" If that information is on their website and you want to make personal contact, ask a question about something on their 'Information about Submissions' (to show you have read it and are seeking clarification.)

Or, just follow the instructions, especially if they give you the opportunity to e-mail the editor.

In my day, editors were extremely busy people and didn't like their time being wasted. I don't imagine that has changed. Read their instructions and writing guidelines, and follow them. Keep any direct communication extremely brief.

I hope that helps.

vangogh
06-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Frederick most of the sites that will publish an article prefer you just send them the article or idea. If you ask them the appropriate steps to take first they're as likely to ignore your email or say just send me the article.

If there is a specific procedure in place then sending an email asking about that procedure is seen more as annoyance or a waste of time.

Offline there are specific guidelines you usually need to adhere to and if you don't your correspondence will most likely be ignored. Online there aren't any hard and fast rules. If the site in question has some guidelines, absolutely follow them. If there's no guidelines on the site it's ok to go ahead and email with the article or the idea.

In both places you'll do better if you've made some kind of personal contact prior. Offline it helps to know an editor. Online it helps to have commented on the blog in question or connected with the person over social networking channels.

rebelnetworks
06-10-2010, 09:17 PM
i think first step is to post articles in those article submission sites, then approach the local media and tell them in a personalized email followed by a telephone call -

you have written many articles, and popular website find you an expert in your field etc etc

Patrysha
06-10-2010, 10:17 PM
You'll get very little leverage in offline media with online (with some rare exceptions) publications...

I've written and edited for both. And I've worked with both traditional and new media extensively. I've been on local radio and I've hosted podcasts (produced one briefly too) and sold advertising for both too come to think of it...

In any case...the point is the same is not true the other way around...offline coverage does generate online leverage.

However, looking at this and the other thread...Doug would probably be well served by buying a list from Ferrari enthusiast magazines (much cheaper than buying an ad in the magazine and a bit more sure footed than a publicity campaign --which could be pursued at the same time just in case) and sending a direct mail series about the Italy Ferrari tour...

And do the same for the food enthusiasts...

You could also add in an online outreach program in conjunction with all this...tap enthusiast blogs (very easy to hire a VA to set up monitoring for you) starting with comments and work up to guest posts, tap Facebook and Twitter & YouTube for more sources...all geared towards your opt-in page/website...

vangogh
06-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Agreed. Two totally different worlds. A lot more goes into writing for an offline publication than online. You're going to need to hold yourself and your writing to a higher standard. Online no one is going to get on you for not checking facts and verifying accuracy. Just because you can write online doesn't mean you can be successful offline and I don't see traditional print editors being all that impressed with an online credit.

However, publishing online, even if it's on your own site, does give you some samples of your writing to show to anyone who's willing to look.

Oh and Patrysha, nice ideas for Doug.

Patrysha
06-11-2010, 12:45 AM
Oh and Patrysha, nice ideas for Doug.

Thank you, ideas are easy. It's implementation, measurement and testing that are the hard part (well for most small business owners I've met so far)

vangogh
06-11-2010, 12:59 AM
I know. I have ideas all the time. Unfortunately one of them has never been how to turn a 24 hour day into a 48 hour day. Of course if I did we'd still be complaining how there's never enough time.