PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone. vangogh here

vangogh
08-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Hey all,

I thought I'd introduce myself again even though many of you already know me. I'm Steve. I use the 'n' when I write the name out, but feel free to leave it off when using my name. Only my mom calls me Steven.

I started life online developing websites a friend of mine designed. After we built our site we sat back and wondered how people were going to find us. That's when I began learning everything I could about search engine optimization.

In the beginning I looked for the secret SEO formula like many people do, but I quickly learned that SEO is really just marketing with a specific focus on search engines. My own view of how to optimize your site is to best understand what search engines are looking for so you can make informed decisions when it comes to your website and marketing it online.

My friend eventually went on to other things so I also had to take on the design part of the business. I enjoy designing a lot, though I still sometimes fear the blank page when I start a new design. Lately I've been working with open source content management systems like WordPress and designing themes for them. Hopefully before too long I'll be releasing a premium theme for WordPress.

I guess now I'm also a forum owner. I've been posting, moderating, and administrating forums since shortly after I ventured online. I've always enjoyed the community aspects of a forum and have made many friends online through them. Now I get to take the next step and help guide the development of a forum community in a new way.

I'm up for the challenge and looking forward to it.

Ok, now it's your turn. I know many of us already know each other, but lets reintroduce ourselves and say hi again and share a little more than we initially did when we first introduced ourselves.

cbscreative
08-06-2008, 02:06 AM
At this point, I am one of the only ones who can respond, but I am certainly glad this new community now exists. I'm also glad you agreed to jump on board with getting this started, vangogh, and intend to reintroduce myself too. Let me say publically that vangogh has been instrumental in making this happen. Although I approached him with the idea of getting a new SBF, vangogh stepped up way beyond what I expected.

We had to put this together fast, and it is not something that either of us were expecting. I appreciate vangogh's (Steve's) effort and experience. We now have a community being run by members who care about it, and vangogh has been amazing at making that a reality.

Although we are technically competitors in our businesses, I am honored to collaborate with vangogh on this project. I expect great things ahead, especially as we have other members of the old SBF join us here.

KristineS
08-06-2008, 12:00 PM
I guess I should probably jump in too. The fact that this forum exists at all is due to cbscreative and vangogh. My contribution was mostly just saying "Yeah, you should do this!". On the old SBF forum, I was Gunslingergirl, but I haven't been around for a while. I'm excited to be participating in this new venture, and hope to spend a lot of time talking about my favorite subject (or one of them), Marketing. I'm looking forward to making this the best forum on the 'Net.

Evan
08-06-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm Evan Lemoine, the 21 year old entrepreneur and student. I started my first business at age 13 doing website development, but quickly found my interest to be in accounting, taxation, law, and management over my actual operations. Now I serve as Vice President of our family's small business in Rhode Island and manage accounting and tax issues. I do general business consulting, technology consulting, accounting, bookkeeping, taxes, and also serve as a parliamentarian.

Currently I'm a senior accounting major, but am continuing on with my MBA which I should have before I'm 23. While the degree may not be necessary as an entrepreneur, I plan to focus more on my career in accounting and fraud examination.

vangogh
08-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks Evan and welcome.

I think everyone is misinterpreting a little. Let's all start our own introduction threads. We don't all need to reintroduce ourselves in this one.

We need to start new threads to fill this place up.

Thanks.

KristineS
08-06-2008, 03:39 PM
I guess we did. I'll start my own introduction thread in a bit.

vangogh
08-06-2008, 03:49 PM
That's ok. I thought it was funny that we were all introducing ourselves in the same thread. ok, I was really just jealous that you were all trying to steal some of my glory.

KristineS
08-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I had a suspicion that was the problem.

vangogh
08-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Haven't you been able to tell how big me ego is after all these years? :D

Ad-Vice_Man
08-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Vangogh,

Glad to see you've taken it upon yourself to "move" the forum.

Steve B
08-07-2008, 05:51 AM
I hope this isn't violating any of our rules - but I'm going to go out on a limb here and put in a plug for Vangogh beyond what he has done for this forum and the old one.

After meeting him on the old forum over a year a ago - I started using him for all things related to my website. He is top notch and very easy to work with. He started working with my website that was originally designed by someone else and made a few quick changes that helped my search engine ranking. Since then he has re-written all of the code - added a bunch of pages, and tacked a few other technical projects that I threw his way (including a successful project to help identify fraudulant Google Adwords clicks!). I would highly recomend him to anyone.

Steve B

vangogh
08-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks Eric. It needed to be done. The old place wasn't being taken care of.

SteveB since I get to make the rules I don't think paying me a compliment is ever going to be against the rules. Glad I've been able to help the last couple of years.

I'll return the compliment and let you know you're one of the easiest clients to work with. It's nice to know you're someone who's always looking to improve your site and you've come up with some really good ideas for improving it.

cbscreative
08-07-2008, 11:45 AM
I just posted some rules last night and that one is not on the list. Man, I knew I missed something. All kidding aside, complimenting vangogh is not likely to ever be added to that list.

vangogh
08-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Funny Steve. I hope that one doesn't fall against the rules at some point.

KristineS
08-07-2008, 12:06 PM
I compliment you pretty frequently, and I haven't been banned yet.

Coach Morse
08-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi Steve,
Thanks for all your hard work and dedication! :)

vangogh
08-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks George. It's been a lot of work so far and will be more work in the coming weeks and months, but it's a challenge we're up for.

cbscreative
08-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Kristine, I had to laugh when I saw your new title, but you're still the Queen here.

KristineS
08-07-2008, 02:36 PM
I was waiting for someone to notice.

I'll probably leave it that way for a few days and then move on to something else. Although "Queen of the Forum" does have a nice ring to it.

vangogh
08-07-2008, 04:01 PM
I noticed the new title this morning, but didn't have a good opportunity to mention it. I did laugh when I saw it, but I also liked the queen title too.

Steve B
08-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Naturally I'm a strong supporter on complimenting any of the Steve's - I was just referring to my blatent promotion of Vangogh's business.

I hope he gets quite a few inquiries from people wanting to pay him to help them with their website.

vangogh
08-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Funny Steve. It's a good name don't you think?

And thanks for the compliments for my business. I never have a problem taking on new clients.

cbscreative
08-08-2008, 01:49 PM
And if I lose business to vangogh, that's fine too because I know they will be well taken care of. It's not many competitors I can say that about.

vangogh
08-08-2008, 01:52 PM
You know even though we offer similar services I never really see us in competition. I think we both do a good job and have different strengths even if some of our strengths overlap. I also think there's enough work to go around.

cbscreative
08-08-2008, 01:55 PM
I agree, I use the term competition loosely, and there is so much work to go around there is room for many more "competitors."

Paul Elliott
08-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Thank you, Steve/s, et al., for undertaking this venture. The Phoenix will rise from the ashes!

I guess there's no way to contact other members from the dotCOM version, if you don't have the address files.

Michael Shemwell notified me for which I'm thankful.

Glad to be back!

I've posted my REintroduction.

Paul

cbscreative
08-08-2008, 04:29 PM
That's exactly how the word spreads, and we're very pleased more SBF members (and others) are finding out about us and telling others. We knew this community was needed, we're just glad we could do it.

Spider
08-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Well, they caught up with you, VG - you have been banned from .com. Was only to be expected, really, and I'm sure you are not too fazed by it. I also noticed some major changes to the front page and forum layout. They reduced their forum count to 13.

vangogh
08-08-2008, 05:24 PM
I noticed a little while ago. It's a bit vindictive, but it's not like I was planning on spending time there anymore and I guess it was to be expected. If they had been paying attention to their forum the last few months and not letting it decline we'd all still be there.

If us starting here gets them to put more time and effort into the old forum it's a good thing. I know there will be a lot of members from there who won't ever find their way here and at least those people will still have a place to hangout. No reason both forums can't grow and be successful.

It's a shame, though that the it took us starting here to get them to finally fix a few things that should have been done weeks ago. But I'll wish them well.

cbscreative
08-08-2008, 05:36 PM
We were wondering if someone would bring up the banning. It is a shame what they did to let the forum suffer from neglect. Banning vangogh was childish IMO, but not surprising. Our success here has helped to prove that everyone pretty much felt the same way. Maybe they will learn from this, we hope so, but they lost all of us in the process.

vangogh
08-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Yep, and like I said I hold no ill will toward them. Life is too short to hold grudges against people. There are hundreds of other small business forums in existence and we'll just be two of them.

For our part we'll simply do what we can to make this place the best it can be. And I hope they do the same for their place.

cbscreative
08-08-2008, 05:59 PM
I love your attitude, vangogh, and I think both of us are doing this because we saw a need, and they were not meeting that need.

vangogh
08-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks. It's not like we were thinking of this a few weeks ago. IMO the old forum has been in decline for awhile. I remember it being much more active when I joined. In fact I chose to join because it was so active.

The last few months though there was little to no communication of any kind about what was going on and then when the forum went down and we had no idea what was happening. Even when it did come back it wasn't back in full. Months worth of data was missing, bbcode wasn't working...

I offered to help, but no one responded and when we saw people talking about leaving for good starting up here seemed like the only way to keep the community together.

cbscreative
08-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Starting a new SBF certainly was not in my thoughts a few weeks ago either, but when they went down, and especially with the noticeable frustration of the few members that were left, I was convinced a new SBF needed to be done. I am very glad we now have this forum because it is reminding me of what we lost when the new owner took over the old one. I nearly left then, but the last straw was definitely the last straw.

CADesign
09-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi Vangogh,

We met briefly on the 'other' forum, glad to have found this site.
I'll not steal your thunder and introduce myself on a separate thread. ;)

Glad to see a familiar name, I always enjoy reading your comments.

Dave
(CADesign)

vangogh
09-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Hi Dave. I do remember and I'm glad you found us. Thanks for the compliments. I'll look for your into thread momentarily and offer the official welcome.

cbscreative
12-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Bump...we can't let seolman win with a longer intro thread, can we?

vangogh
12-16-2008, 11:52 AM
That just wouldn't right. I smell a competition.

cbscreative
12-16-2008, 12:11 PM
He does have an especially long way to go if he ever wants to take on the movie thread.

vangogh
12-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Oh yeah. Too bad we couldn't get all the posts back from the old forum. We've had that thread active and going for about 2 years now.

cbscreative
12-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Actually, early this month was 3 years.

vangogh
12-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Wow. I wanted to say three years before, but I couldn't believe it had really been that long. I guess it has though.

cbscreative
12-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Yep, if we were still on the old SBF, you would now be 3 years old since Dec 9. The reason I remember the date is it is the same as my birthday. I've been 48 for a week now.

vangogh
12-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Happy belated birthday. You have a few years on me, but not too many. I'll get to 48 before I know it.

cbscreative
12-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks, the important thing is I don't feel 48. I remember the prophets of doom telling me all the things that I would have to face when I turned 40. They still have not happened yet. In the far east, they call it mind over matter, and the Bible calls it, "As you think, so you are" (paraphrased), but either way your attitudes and beliefs will shape your reality. Our friends in the east seem to have a much better handle on that than we do. I'm sure it's no accident that they live longer, healthier lives (as long as they don't get too "westernized" anyway).

vangogh
12-16-2008, 10:40 PM
I hear you about your attitudes and beliefs shaping your reality. It's in the opening lines of the Dhamapada. I believe it's true too and you can add you're only as old as you feel.

Your own thoughts shaping reality is something everyone looking to start a business should take to heart. Your mindset plays such an important role in your success and yet many miss that crucial part to business.

Spider
12-17-2008, 10:17 AM
...Your own thoughts shaping reality is something everyone looking to start a business should take to heart. Your mindset plays such an important role in your success and yet many miss that crucial part to business.Absolutely! Which is why I always jump when I hear someone say, "I'm going to start a little business of my own!"

Never do that! Never! Never! Never! Promise yourself a little business and that is what you will have, I tell them. Instead, say you are going to create a big business - which must of necessity begin in a small office and with only one employee - but it is a big business in the initial stages.

Unless, of course, you really do want a little business and intend to keep it small. It is very easy to start a big business, but quite difficult to turn a small business into a big business.

vangogh
12-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Makes sense and isn't it amazing how important just a couple of little words are to the attitude you bring to your business. If you think it will be small it will be. If you think the possibilities are endless the possibilities will open to you.

I always keep the idea that nothing is impossible. There's always a solution and I simply have to find that solution. It's amazing how often I'm able to find a solution to something that many might have assumed never existed. So much of finding that solution is going into the problem with the assumption that solution exists.

Spider
12-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Right on, VG! It never was Location, Location, Location.

And has always been Attitude, Attitude, Attitude!

vangogh
12-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Surprising how many people fail to understand that simple idea.

Business Attorney
12-17-2008, 02:17 PM
I always keep the idea that nothing is impossible. There's always a solution and I simply have to find that solution. It's amazing how often I'm able to find a solution to something that many might have assumed never existed. So much of finding that solution is going into the problem with the assumption that solution exists.

VanGogh - if you can do impossible things, please add these two to your "to do" list:

1. Make time stand still. There are many times I need to get two or three days worth of things done in a day. I need a way to make the rest of the world stand still while I catch up. I know its possible because I read about it in a book (The Girl The Gold Watch And Everything) and saw it on TV (Wild, Wild West).

2. A teleporter machine so that when I have two minutes to go 30 miles to a meeting, I can still make it on time. If they can do in on Star Trek, it must be feasible.

Thanks.

vangogh
12-17-2008, 06:12 PM
I'll start working on the problem.

1. Most of the time I've seen this it involves a special watch and when you press the right button or combination of buttons, time stops. Just find that watch and you'll be all set.

2. I think if you can solve #1 above you won't really need to teleport so lets just work on problem #1.

Ok I have no idea how to do either and likely never will, but that doesn't mean either is impossible. It just means we don't know how to do either of them...yet.

Business Attorney
12-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Ok I have no idea how to do either and likely never will, but that doesn't mean either is impossible. It just means we don't know how to do either of them...yet.

Darn. I was hoping...

vangogh
12-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Hey you never know. Maybe I'll have an epiphany later tonight.

Vivid Color Zack
12-25-2008, 12:43 AM
I'll start working on the problem.

1. Most of the time I've seen this it involves a special watch and when you pres the right button or combination of buttons, time stops. Just find that watch and you'll be all set.

2. I think if you can solve #1 above you won't really need to teleport so lets just work on problem #1.

just from my perspective

1. In Click they used a TV remote, keep your eyes peeled for a special one of those too on your watch search.

2. If you stop time traffic stops too, teleportation might still be necessary.

I really like the feel this forum has. Everyone is super helpful and even thoug a lot of us are technically competitors nobody is afraid to give honest feedback and advice whenever they can.

I appreciate your efforts here Steve, it's a great forum and I look forward to continued membership. Actually, there are a whole lot of Steves... so thanks to all of you just so nobody feels left out.

vangogh
12-25-2008, 10:46 AM
1. Zack I think you're on to something. I have all these remotes around here and a few I don't ever use. Maybe, just maybe one of them is the time stopping remote.

2. Teleportation would still be useful if you stopped time. That's true. But you could stop time and walk most anywhere you wanted and then start it back up again. To the rest of the world it would seem like you did teleport. Teleporting is only for lazy time stoppers.

Glad you like the forum. We try really hard to keep things friendly even while giving out serious information. Many of us have known each other now for quite some time, which certainly helps.

It's interesting how we all help our competition isn't it. I can't speak for everyone, but I've always been one to worry less about what my competition is doing, instead focusing on what I'm doing. I figure if I run my business well I'll be successful regardless of what others are doing. And if they can do well too, so much the better. While I can only speak for myself, I have a hunch many here would same the same or similar. Thanks for being part of that good advice and sharing.

You know if you need something around here all you need to do is shout Steve. There's enough of us here that one of us is bound to hear.

Evan
12-25-2008, 09:09 PM
2. A teleporter machine so that when I have two minutes to go 30 miles to a meeting, I can still make it on time. If they can do in on Star Trek, it must be feasible.

Especially in Chicago! I love the city, but the traffic is horrible. But then again, traffic in most cities is quite horrid.

vangogh
12-26-2008, 11:51 AM
I've never been to Chicago so I can't comment on the traffic there. However I have lived most of my life in New York so I'm certainly familiar with traffic. One thing about traffic that seems true most everywhere you go is it's generally in one direction. For example I know early in the morning there will be traffic going into Manhattan, but not so much coming out of Manahattan. After work in the evening the traffic is coming out of Manhattan and not so much going in.

If you can schedule your life so that you don't need to go to the same place at the same time as everyone else you can generally avoid most traffic.

KristineS
12-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Chicago is pretty bad when it comes to traffic. Great city, but horrible traffic.

I think you're on to something Vangogh. If you have the power to schedule your life you just have to schedule yourself so you're going against the established traffic flow. That way you avoid the traffic. I try to do that as much as I can, but I don't have the ability to schedule my entire life yet.

vangogh
12-26-2008, 01:17 PM
I used to work afternoons and nights in New York. I was never traveling on the same roads at the same time as most everyone else and consequently didn't have to deal with traffic. The same highways that were bumper to bumper at 6:00 PM were empty at midnight.

Of course there were plenty of other times where I was stuck in the bumper to bumper.

KristineS
12-26-2008, 01:21 PM
We don't have a lot of bumper to bumper traffic in Northern Michigan, as long as you avoid certain parts of town at certain times of year. For instance, you do not go downtown for any reason the week of Cherry Festival. You'll be trapped in Festival traffic and you'll never get out. It's brutal.

Also, Film Festival week. That's getting pretty bad as well.

cbscreative
12-26-2008, 03:22 PM
It's interesting how we all help our competition isn't it. I can't speak for everyone, but I've always been one to worry less about what my competition is doing, instead focusing on what I'm doing. I figure if I run my business well I'll be successful regardless of what others are doing. And if they can do well too, so much the better. While I can only speak for myself, I have a hunch many here would same the same or similar. Thanks for being part of that good advice and sharing.

You know if you need something around here all you need to do is shout Steve. There's enough of us here that one of us is bound to hear.
I can say I feel pretty much the same way. In an area such as web design, there is more business than any one company could ever handle. In fact, there are a relatively small percentage of really good web designers, so those who are provide a valuable service to the industry. I don't consider them a threat, but a welcome addition. Even the bad competitors are needed because there are also bad clients. I personally believe those who resent competition are only hurting themselves.

Thank you for the compliments on the SBF, Zack, that is exactly what we aim to provide here. Back when many of us were part of the old SBF before it went bad, it had a special friendliness. Although it was taken over by new owners who neglected it, we had a core group of members who still cared. What we have built here is even better than the old one ever was, and it is the members who make it that way. We are very pleased with the quality of members this place attracts and consider that a success.

Vangogh, your traffic comment reminded me of several years ago when I had a job outside of town. Since Grand Rapids, MI is the second largest city in the state, it's fairly big, but not by NYC standards. I live in town where people in the burbs commute into. On this job several years ago, I would be commuting out in the morning moving at 65 MPH unobstructed. From where I got on the highway in town, and for about 8 miles of the roughly 13 mile trip down that freeway, it was packed full of traffic coming into town. That traffic was either slow moving or sometimes stopped while I was very glad not to be in it.

When I got out of work in the late afternoon, it was the exact opposite as I sailed easily back into town while seeing a massive traffic jam trying to make their escape back into the burbs. My view of suburban living has never been the same since.

Several months ago, the local paper had an article stating that an increasing number of people are discovering the benefits of living near downtown. Picture me with a smirk as I have known this secret for a long time now. :D

Like many others here who work from home, I am very glad not to get involved in this commuting mess every day. When I do get caught in it, I thank the Lord that it is only on occasion and not a part of my daily life.

vangogh
12-26-2008, 03:47 PM
I like my commute now better than the drives I used to have.

Years ago (probably while sitting in traffic) started thinking about what how traffic started. You know those times when you're sitting in it and then it ends and you can't figure out why it was ever there?

Traffic works like a compression wave. A few people hit their brakes and everyone behind starts hitting the brakes too. People can still be hitting their brakes in that same spot for quite some time after the initial brakers. Ultimately (and if there are enough cars on the road) it leads to a traffic jam in that same spot.

The one nature is that most people live similar lives. They all go to work at the same time and come home at the same time too. Most people also work in similar area. Most of the time that means traffic going into the city early in the morning and leaving the city in the evening.

It's not just work though. People go to the beach at the same time, they shop at the same time, etc. If you can get off the grid a little and schedule things at different times than the masses it's a lot quicker to get around on the roads.

cbscreative
12-26-2008, 04:22 PM
You are sooo right on the braking effect. To make matters worse, the initial braking is often not even necessary. I wonder how things might be different if they could install beacons along freeways that disable everyone's brakes and cause the brake lights to not light up. Would it cause accidents or eliminate traffic jams?

Just think, they could eliminate all those "motor vehicle only" signs and replace them with signs that read something like, "WARNING: your vehicle will not be allowed to travel below 65 MPH and your brakes won't work."

vangogh
12-27-2008, 11:57 AM
It would be interesting if everyone's brakes were disabled. I have a feeling it would lead to just a few too many accidents.

What I can see happening is automobiles equipped with sensors and automatic braking with manual override. Of course that would probably lead to some people never using their brakes and assuming they don't ever need to.

billbenson
01-04-2009, 03:49 PM
I just got back from California and drove from San Francisco to Sacramento. I thought Christmas day would be a slow day. Traffic was really nasty. 80 mph, stop; 80 mph stop; etc. If it was like that on Christmas day when everyone wants to be where they are going, I'd hate to see it on a Friday afternoon.

vangogh
01-04-2009, 07:33 PM
You're bringing me back to living in New York. That 80 mph and quick stop thing is quite common any day of the week.

seolman
01-04-2009, 11:24 PM
I have no idea how I could compare the Costa Rica traffic with US traffic...I just returned from a trip to Dominical where I bent the towbar on our 4x4 on a particularly bad road. It took us 1.5 hours to drive 25 miles the road was so bad. Traffic wasn't a problem...but we did see a Coatamundi and a Toucan :D

cbscreative
01-04-2009, 11:49 PM
And just think, when "horseless carriages" first came out, some people were asking if the idea would ever catch on.

vangogh
01-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Dave I think your driving problems are a lot less to do with others on the road as they have to do with the road itself. I doubt I get to experience quite the same here, though I do have some large mountains nearby with plenty of roads not meant for 2 wheel drive. I've had my share of experiences driving on those roads.

seolman
01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Actually in the city areas around San Jose the traffic congestion is pretty bad and the drivers would scare the pants off most "Gringos". After 14 years here I'm used to it but it's fun to watch the newbies down here driving for the first time. The guy next to you wants his lane and half of yours. Turn signals are for decoration only.

vangogh
01-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Sounds like cab drivers in New York. I imagine it would still be something to get used to for me, but I have a hunch it wouldn't take too long before I'd fit right in. I'm used to and I've seen quite a lot of crazy driving in my time.

seolman
01-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Sounds like cab drivers in New York. I imagine it would still be something to get used to for me, but I have a hunch it wouldn't take too long before I'd fit right in. I'm used to and I've seen quite a lot of crazy driving in my time.

Anyone who would cut off their ear could easily handle this stuff...

cbscreative
01-05-2009, 01:32 PM
The guy next to you wants his lane and half of yours. Turn signals are for decoration only.

That falls into major pet peeve zone for me. Around here, you can have a breath test sprung on you for those offenses, but I think they should throw them in the slammer even if they pass the test. Why should blood alcohol level determine whether you get away with it or not?

Maybe we can start a new group called PASD (People Against Stupid Drivers). They're at least as dangerous as drunks. The name People Intolerant of Stupid Drivers might be more catchy though.

vangogh
01-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Dave I can cut off my ear, drink a cup of coffee, and eat a slice of pizza all while driving a 5-speed. Not necessarily the most useful or best skills to have, but New York streets made for a good training ground.

Steve we get a lot of non signalers in Boulder. Worse we get people who signal and immediately switch lanes as though their signal somehow clears the lane automatically.

Another driving pet peeve is the person who's sitting at a cross street. You know the people. You can tell they're trying to make up their mind whether or not to turn out in front of you. They hesitate, they hesitate, and they hesitate, right up until the moment you're actually there. That's when they decide they should pull out in front of you.

cbscreative
01-05-2009, 02:14 PM
And to that one, vangogh, let me add the person on the freeway who takes 5 miles to pass the vehicle in the right lane while they are in front of you in the left lane. As soon as the clear the vehicle in the right lane, they add 15 MPH to their speed. I can be very patient, but that one really burns me, especially when the one in front of you is doing 65 in a 70 zone, and it is amazing how often that happens.

vangogh
01-05-2009, 02:32 PM
That one drives me nuts too. Anytime I see two cars driving side by side on the highway I'm immediately annoyed.

In a related note, back when I was in college I was driving along a single lane road to get back to school. The car in front of me was driving pretty slow and I naturally wanted to pass. I waited until we had the dashed line indicating ok to pass and started moving around the car in front. That's when he decided to speed up so I couldn't pass.

We did that once or twice end then he decided to not only be annoying, but dangerous. After failing in an attempt to pass, a car was approaching from the other lane. I slowed down to get back behind the car in front of me and he decided to slow down and match my speed so I couldn't get back in the lane. Let's just say after that he didn't like having me behind him. A half hour later we drove through a town and he pulled over in a gas station and I was able to finally get ahead of him on the road out of town.

seolman
01-05-2009, 02:53 PM
You guys would turn 7 shades of purple driving down here. Cars driving super slow in the fast lane and refusing to move over so you have to pass them on the right, motorcycles passing between two cars. Motorcycles passing you on the right in the emergency lane. When everyone is stopped at the red light all the motorcycles and scooters passing between the cars and crowding up to the front so when the light turns green they get to go first. Two guys driving slowly side by side so they can talk to each other while the cars behind wait and honk their horns - I could go on all day.

Life goes by a lot slower down here...

vangogh
01-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Sounds like it has to go slower there since no one can get to where they're trying to go.

seolman
01-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Sounds like it has to go slower there since no one can get to where they're trying to go.

You're right!:)

vangogh
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
That works for me. I moved from New York to Boulder in part because I prefer a slower pace to life. I'm not a big fan of rushing around everywhere. You miss too many important things in your surroundings.

seolman
01-05-2009, 05:32 PM
That's half the reason I'm in Costa Rica. I've been privileged enough to live in many different places in the world but by far one of the lowest stress places I've been is right here. Job wise it's the same because we have clients from all over the world and we have deadlines etc. But as regards after hours it's a lot less stress here for me. Not to mention my meds are about 20% what I would pay in the US ;)

vangogh
01-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Same for me with the job. I think I currently have two local clients. Most are spread out across the U.S. Boulder is a very laid back town. You don't see too many people wearing ties. The mountains help too.

cbscreative
01-06-2009, 06:11 PM
In a related note, back when I was in college I was driving along a single lane road to get back to school. The car in front of me was driving pretty slow and I naturally wanted to pass. I waited until we had the dashed line indicating ok to pass and started moving around the car in front. That's when he decided to speed up so I couldn't pass.

We did that once or twice end then he decided to not only be annoying, but dangerous. After failing in an attempt to pass, a car was approaching from the other lane. I slowed down to get back behind the car in front of me and he decided to slow down and match my speed so I couldn't get back in the lane. Let's just say after that he didn't like having me behind him. A half hour later we drove through a town and he pulled over in a gas station and I was able to finally get ahead of him on the road out of town.
It's amazing. As laid back as both of us are, some people do know how to push our buttons. I've had similar experiences. Very annoying.

Fortunately, my Bonneville has a fair amount of ambition when someone decides they want to play nasty. My first car after high school was a 1969 Olds Toronado with a 455 + 4 barrel. I didn't need much space to pass because it could go from 60 to 95 in a couple of seconds. Anyone trying to give me crap when I was driving that just made me grin with satisfaction.

seolman
01-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Takes me back to my 69 Chevy Malibu...yummy.

But my favorite car was my 1950 Chevy Pickup I drove in my Sr year of High School. I loved that old truck. To start it I had to turn the ignition key on (it would still come out of the key hole), hop out, lift the hood and short the key across the starter solenoid. When the gears would stick (which was often) I had a routine:

shut down the engine
hop out of the cab and lift the hood
jiggle the transmission to unlock it (three speed column shift)
hop back in the cab and turn the ignition switch on
make sure the truck was in neutral with emergency brake on
hop out of the cab and short the key against the starter solenoid (vrooom - putt putt putt)
close the hood
hop back in the cab and take off - hoping the light hadn't turned red yet

Ahh the memories....

Oh yeah - and when I turned right the driver's side door liked to swing open...

billbenson
01-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Actually, in much of Latin America, traffic signs are recommendations, not mandates. That includes one way signs and stop lights included. Pull off lanes are just another lane of traffic. Bad weather or power outages, which are common can create complete chaos.

I can identify with going off into the countryside though. I was in El Salvador when a 7.6 earthquake hit. To give you an idea it was a 6.2 that took the SF Bay bridge down and it's a logarithmic scale, so this was 10 times stronger. We went to Costco and bought a bunch of water the next day and searched our closets for old clothes. The help groups were all concentrating on the areas close to the capital so we went to a small village way out of town. We had to maneuver around broken sections of freeway etc., and then 10 miles of dirt road. When we got to the town, not a building was left standing. Really sad.

Oh, and when the earthquake hit I was in a grocery store. I stayed put until all the panicked people running out were out of the way. Having lived in CA they tell you to sit under a strong table or something, not go running. When I went out of the store, there was a bunch of smoke in the distance. I thought it was fire, but it was a hillside that collapsed and covered a small suburb. A lot of people died.

Sorry, didn't mean to make this into a negative post. It just brings back some memories.

vangogh
01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Steve there are always people who can push your buttons no matter how laid back you are. Some people know how and others just stumble across it, but we all have our buttons. Mine are....

Yeah, like I'm going to tell everyone what they are.

Dave I never had a vehicle as temperamental as your truck, but many of the cars I've owned had their special nuances for making them work. I did learn how to pop the clutch in a car as my very first car had a bad alternator. I was able to get it started rolling backwards out of the driveway. As long as there's enough of an angle to get the car rolling I can get it started.

cbscreative
01-06-2009, 09:05 PM
I love the pickup truck story, Dave. I never had any vehicles that were quirky to the extent they make great stories, but they sure did require plenty of work to keep them driveable sometimes.

That did remind me of my Dad's 1966 GMC pickup though. That thing seemed to never need fixing and drove well even long after it looked like it wouldn't (it had a bad case of Michigan cancer, aka rust, in its later years). The thing only had a V6 (I think it was a 307 or 308) and "3 on the tree" but it sure would scoot. Something about the way the engine was built, and because of the gearing, it would beat a lot of V8's. A 350 with automatic transmission didn't stand a chance against it.

BTW, that was the vehicle I learned to drive with. I think there is a lot of benefit to learning to drive using a manual transmission. There are two kinds of vehicles I refuse to own with automatic transmissions: pickup trucks and sports cars. It totally defeats the purpose of having one if it's an automatic.

seolman
01-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah a truck with an automatic is like going to the beach in a business suit.