PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Plan Accountability

dynocat
05-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Happened to see this at CopyClique (http://copyclique.com/resources/Website%20copy%20-%20Conscious%20Mkt%20Incubator.pdf) and found it interesting.

Impact of Accountability
When you’re accountable to someone, it increases the likelihood that you’ll achieve your goals. Consider these statistics from the American Society of Training and Development, which reveal the probability of successfully completing a goal:

• 10% if you hear an idea.
• 25% if you consciously decide to adopt it.
• 40% if you decide when you will do it.
• 50% if you plan how you will do it.
• 65% if you commit to someone else you will do it.
• 95% if you have a specific accountability appointment with the person to whom you committed

This is intended for marketing but is applicable to any business goal.

In my mind, the question is how do those of us who work alone implement accountability?

Patrysha
05-22-2010, 12:44 AM
Mentors, Mastermind Groups, Life Coaches...there are tons of options for the solopreneur to build a support system around achieving goals. It can take time to find the right mix of personalities and systems that work for you specifically though. I know all the good stuff in my head, it's making it happen that I struggle with...I think that's true of most people. We know what to do but we don't do it and try to find excuses not to do it so it's not really our fault.

So we'll see that the ideal is having a an accountability partner that we set specific dates etc with, but instead of settling for writing down our goals for ourselves while looking for a accountability partner we do nothing instead of the little thing.

Rzacny
07-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi Dynocat: Patrysha has a good point...several as a matter of fact. When you say you work 'alone,' keep in mind that most of us need a 'head' or a another brain to beat things off of. Undoubtedly you are quite good at what you do. But without a 'push' from another person, its very easy to find an internal excuse for not doing, or delaying doing the difficult or pain-in-the-rear things. So, as Patrysha indicated, find yourself a mentor or Mastermind Group, or some coach that you can 'TRUST' who will help you keep on track. Trust is the operative word here. The info you found from the ASTD seems to have been proven pretty sound over the years. Some people can make it without having a sounding board or a person to listen and nudge them along; but most people need another person to be 'accounable' to in order to get 'action' happen on schedule.

Spider
07-26-2010, 06:38 PM
There's more to be gained from hiring a coach or mentor than accountability. I have spelled out how to get the best out of a mentor on this page of my website -- EFFECTIVE COACHING - Tips on Hiring a coach or mentor - Frederick Pearce, Coach, Mentor (http://frederickpearce.com/hiringamentor.html) (There's a bit of self-promotion on that page but it is generally about getting the most from your coach.)

While accountability is often touted as a reason to hire a coach, I don't think it is an especially effective reason in the form suggested. Your boss can hold you accountable because he has some power over you and can administer some "punishment" if you don't perform. For the lone operator who hires a coach, the hirer is in the 'boss' position. If you hire me as your coach how can I hold you accountable when you (the boss) is in the driver's seat? Likewise, asking a friend, or some other 'non-hire', to hold you accountable is ineffective - because they have no skin in the game.

Here's where accountability can be effective, but it is self-acountability. If you hire a coach, and pay good money for his expertise, you will more likely do what you both agree because, if you don't, you have wasted your money - and no-one likes to think they are wasting their money. So, you do what you promise yourself so as to not waste your money = self-accountability.

This shows itself in free services offered by coaches (myself included.) Rarely do I find a free client taking advantage of the service offered, and especially they don't hold themselves accountable. I think this is because it is free, and most things are considered to be worth what you pay for them.

Does this mean you are better off working alone? No, far from it. In fact, it is impossible to be successful alone. We all need other people to help us create our own successes. More on this aspect here -- Life Coaching - BE AN OUTRAGEOUS SUCCESS (http://frederickpearce.com/mentor.html)

Hiring a coach is one of the most effective ways of growing your business and reaching success quickly.