PDA

View Full Version : Facebook now sharing your information with non Facebook sites

Harold Mansfield
05-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Facebook has a new thing called Instant Personalization, where as , they have partnered with external websites to cross reference information..which means sites that you are not a member of, may/will have your profile information.

How to Opt Out of Facebook’s Instant Personalization - Gadgetwise Blog - NYTimes.com (http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/23/how-to-opt-out-of-facebooks-instant-personalization/)

Personally, I don't have any issue with it, I always assumed that by building a profile anywhere online that you do so because you want to been seen and found or else you wouldn't put your information online,

However, I can see how some may have a problem with the permission aspect of it.
Here's the Facebook F.A.Q. page about it:
Help Center | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=1068)

You can also opt out by clicking “No Thanks” in a blue Facebook bar that will appear at the top of each partner site the first time you visit.

Note that even if you opt out, your friends can still share public Facebook information about you to personalize their experiences on these sites unless you block each of their applications manually.

To do that, visit the “Applications Settings – Authorized” page and scroll down to the “External Websites” section, click “Profile” for each application and then the “Block Application” link on the top left of the profile page.

What do you guys think about it?
Privacy issue, or do we have no expectation of privacy by going online and willfully posting a personal profile on a public site?

Spider
05-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Online privacy offers a false sense of security. If you place any information on the web, be sure that it can be found. If there is certain information you don't want people to know, don't post it. Anywhere.

It's no different from before. If you have a secret and tell some people but not others, before long - if it's juicy enough - everyone in the village will know about it. If you hang out your dirty linen where some people can see it, other people will see it, too.

You can click all the buttons and all the checkboxes you want - it makes no difference.

If you want to keep a secret, don't tell anyone. If you tell anyone, it's not a secret anymore. If you have so much in your life that can harm you, best to not open a social media account. Or set about cleaning up your life.

KristineS
05-14-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm with Frederick on this. Any one who goes on the Internet and thinks they have privacy is fooling themselves. We've all seen at least one instance of a person who thought they were totally anonymous and then were found out. It happens all the time.

It's also the same thing with people who use free services or sites and then kick up a fuss because they people who created the site tried to monetize it, which is exactly what Facebook is doing. People who create and run these sites have expenses, and they didn't create the sites purely as an altruistic endeavor. If you're using these sites and enjoying them, you have to be prepared to pay for that usage somehow. If it's not in money, it will be in information. That's the reality. Your information is now just another form of currency.

seolman
05-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Your information is now just another form of currency.

That is the best one line description I have heard of exactly why most "free" sites such as Facebook, Twitter etc.. exist.

regular visitors = info = market share for sale

greenoak
05-15-2010, 07:02 AM
i usually figure it like spider and kristine...that its no way foolproof...
but then ive used email and messages in ways i wouldnt want some to see....
my profile and store info....well im all for anyone and everyone seeing that...thats part of my reason for being out there...

KristineS
05-17-2010, 02:43 PM
That is the best one line description I have heard of exactly why most "free" sites such as Facebook, Twitter etc.. exist.

regular visitors = info = market share for sale

Exactly. I don't know why it's taking so many people so long to get this. There are very few people who do things in this world without hope of some sort of compensation. The compensation for those people who run sites like Twitter and Facebook is information. If you think anything else you're just fooling yourself.