PDA

View Full Version : Business Quotes

vangogh
05-04-2010, 11:58 PM
For lack of a better place I thought I'd start this thread here.

Earlier I happened upon the following quote:

Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.
—Warren Buffet

I like it because I think the ideas of price and value often get confused. People buy based on value. They buy based on what they think they're going to get. You can argue that they buy if the price is less than or equal to the value they think they'll get, but I think more often than not people will justify and rationalize the price as long as they think the value will be high enough.

Feel free to post any quotes you like and do explain why you like them. Also feel free to comment on this quote and/or my reason for liking it and the same for any other quotes that hopefully follow.

hdm
05-05-2010, 01:37 AM
Good morning, vangogh

Yes, I liked your quote. On a different theme, my favourite inspirational quote is apparently from a poem:

Work like you don't need the money.
Love like you've never been hurt.
Dance like no-one's watching.
Sing like no-one's listening.
Live like there's no tomorrow.

cbscreative
05-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Quotes? I think the one I favor should be obvious since I've kept it in my sig ever since joining the original SBF.

I ran across this quote in a book I read approx 22 years ago. I don't remember what book it was, but the quote sure stood out. I don't know if I've ever mentioned this on the forum, but I have that quote framed and matted with a drawing I did of TR when I was in high school. One reason I remember when I read the quote was because I added the quote to the drawing at that time.

I actually did a series of presidential drawings and never imagining at the time that I would use one in my office for over 20 years now. The drawing is about 10 years older than when I framed it with the quote.

I like the quote because I've never known any success in life to come without failure. To let fear of failing hold you back from trying is to miss out on life. I've long had the attitude that I'd rather try and fail than go through life wondering "what if?"

vangogh
05-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Great quotes. Keep them coming.

hdm - I like the poem and the idea that you should be doing things for your own reasons and not for the approval of others.

Steve I've always noticed and liked your sig. It's a great quote for business since we all have to take chances and be willing to risk failure if we want to succeed. It's amazing how many successful people only became successful after risking failure time and again. What you learn in failure is what ultimately leads you to succeed.

Here's another quote that I use in email signatures. It's from a Bob Dylan song. Bonus points to anyone who knows the song.

He not busy being born is busy dying

It reminds me to never be satisfied and to always keep growing as a person, a web designer, a business owner, etc. It reminds me to consistently be learning to improve myself and my craft and to always be evolving.

It's also similar to your quote Steve. I take it as advice to be willing to take risks and reinvent myself. Never stop growing, never stop improving.

KristineS
05-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Four from Eleanor Roosevelt that I've always liked.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

"In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility. "

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "

I need to write all of these down somewhere so I remember them.

Harold Mansfield
05-05-2010, 04:23 PM
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration."
~Thomas Edison

hdm
05-06-2010, 02:25 AM
This is great thread, vangogh. There are some inspiring posts. I look forward to seeing some more.

dynocat
05-06-2010, 10:56 AM
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." One of my favorites, Kristine. Thanks.

"There are three types of people in this world:
those who make things happen,
those who watch things happen
and those who wonder what happened." ~ Mary Kay Ash

I first heard this on X-Files. :) Only when I looked it up did I learn who originally said it.

Patrysha
05-06-2010, 11:07 AM
This is a slightly raunchy one...but it gives me inspiration...

"Keep your pecker hard and you powder dry and the world will turn"

Guess that should belong in the favourite lines from movies questions, huh?

SuzanneDIngram
05-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Hi Vangogh,

I haven't been here for awhile - sorry! I got busy :rolleyes:

Anyways, I like Warren Buffet quotes too (what a smart man!). Here's one I like:

"Your financial future will largely be determined by one factor; the people you choose to connect with and the system you follow, if any, for success. Triumph leaves clues and if you are truly committed to success; find someone with a PROVEN system and follow it without question, apprehension or deviation!"
Warren Buffett

huggytree
05-09-2010, 12:02 PM
'its not who you know, its who knows you'

the best net worker i know is known by everyone. one of the things she does is dressing a bit flashy to stand out

she gave me this advice and its worked well....i meet so many people and cant possibly remember a lot of them, but because of my marketing and attitude they all seem to know and remember me. at a networking event i want to make sure I'm memorable where most people aren't....being a little different is the key.

Dan Furman
05-10-2010, 08:01 PM
These two are mine:

Don't take advice from people not doing better than you

Be known as the person who gets things done. If you can say "I'll take care of it" and then REALLY do, you'll never starve.

and here's one I came up with, but I've noticed it (or variations of it) other places, too (so I'm sure someone else thought of this somewhere):

There is no I in team, but if you look creatively, you'll fine 'me' in there.

cbscreative
05-10-2010, 11:02 PM
If we're allowed to quote ourselves, here's one I think I came up with, but I'm sure other wise people have already said something similar (never seen this anywhere, I just doubt I'm the only one to outline this principle).

Here's my saying: "Favors quickly become obligations."

I'm all for going the extra mile and exceeding expectations, but it amazes me how easily doing something extra results in people expecting more without being willing to give in return. We have a community of givers here, I'm sure you've probably noticed how many people only take and not give.

Even outside the "taker" personality type, whatever you do once will likely be expected next time. It's human nature.

Blessed
05-11-2010, 01:28 AM
One of my favorites is from Winston Churchill:
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.”

and then there is this one from the famous Miss Piggy:
"Never eat anything bigger than your head" :p

And this one is from my Daddy - although I'm sure someone famous said it or something similar to it too...
"You can do, whatever you decide that you want to do. If you think it's too hard, it will be; but if you put your mind to it, you'll figure out a way to make it happen."

Love this thread!

cbscreative
05-11-2010, 01:19 PM
And this one is from my Daddy - although I'm sure someone famous said it or something similar to it too...
"You can do, whatever you decide that you want to do. If you think it's too hard, it will be; but if you put your mind to it, you'll figure out a way to make it happen."

Yep, that's pretty close to a Henry Ford quote (I might not get this exact because I'm going from memory), "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right."

vangogh
05-11-2010, 07:31 PM
I have to say it's really interesting reading through everyone's favorite quotes. I think they reveal a lot about us and what motivates us. It's also interesting to see who everyone is quoting.

Blessed
05-11-2010, 11:04 PM
We put a different quote each edition, on the masthead of the newspaper I laid out 10 years or so ago. I think that is where I developed an appreciation for a concise statement with a lot of truth in it. So, I could post a different quote on here everyday - especially since I have one of those widgets on my dashboard that displays a different quote every day :)

I like this quote from Theodore Rubin:
The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem.

hdm
05-13-2010, 01:19 AM
Sorry folks, this is a bit heavy, but I heard this one this morning:
• When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.
~ Cree Prophecy

Scary times!

billbenson
05-13-2010, 02:32 AM
Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow - Ziggy (just kidding)

Harold Mansfield
05-13-2010, 09:52 AM
When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.
~ Cree Prophecy

I actually really like that one. It say's it all.

hdm
05-14-2010, 01:08 AM
And this morning, I heard this:

"It's hard to fly like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys"

vangogh
05-14-2010, 10:40 AM
I like that one hdm. I've generally heard it as the advice to surround yourself with good people or something similar, but your quote is far better.

phanio
05-14-2010, 11:32 AM
How about - "I rather be lucky than good!"

My problem is that I have no luck so I have to strive to be good. What else can I do.

To follow on Steve's orginal post - there have been many people studing buying behavoir - the best that I have found was from Clayton Christensen in his book 'The Innovator's Dilemma' - where he states that people go through a pattern or hierachy when buying products (and price is the last one).

The four patterns or phases are:
1) based on functionality
2) based on reliability
3) based on convenience, and
4) based on price

I think the top three can be grouped into value - but, usually when new products or services are introduced functionality matter - but then when all competitors have the same functionality - a consumer will then look to the next phase and so on. Just review the sales and trend of the iPhone.

vangogh
05-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Joseph I think you can make your own luck. A lot of luck is about being in the right place at the right time. You can't guarantee that will happen, but you can increase the odds that luck will happen by being prepared. For example everyone would like to luck into that stock who's price increase makes us rich. If you pay attention to the market and study different industries you'll be more likely to find that stock when it goes public. Maybe you can't predict that a stock will go from $1 to $1,000 per share, but you can do enough homework to find the stocks that are likely to do well.

Interesting about the 4 patterns or phases. I would suggest that even when we reach the last phase we're still buying on value. It's not that price is has suddenly become more important, but rather when everyone has the same functionality, features, and convenience the value of any one product over another goes down.

Spider
05-14-2010, 01:00 PM
"If you don't want to do something, you'll find an excuse. If you do want to do something, you'll find a way!"

hdm
05-17-2010, 01:30 AM
"If something is worth doing at all, it is worth doing well."

Spider
05-17-2010, 11:58 AM
"If something is worth doing at all, it is worth doing well."Oooh! My dad used to say that to me all the time!

greenoak
05-17-2010, 01:28 PM
from my son...
.usually it s the biggest pains who turn into the best connections....
we seem to find that a bit...
and i always remember this...maybe tom peters or covy......if you do what you say you will do you will be ahead of almost everybody....
and my all time favorite...under promise and over deliver..

KristineS
05-17-2010, 02:36 PM
One that I heard all the time when I was a kid and hated, but which I now realize is very true

"Talkin' ain't doin'"

The grammar is horrible, but the sentiment is dead on. You can talk all you want about something, but until you suit your actions to your words, you haven't accomplished anything. That's something I still struggle to remember sometimes.

Spider
05-17-2010, 08:17 PM
"You may not be able to change the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

And, in case you didn't get it ...

"You may not have control over what happens to you, but you do have control over how you deal with it."

hdm
05-18-2010, 01:21 AM
That's a great one, Spider. It can be applied to so much.

Blessed
05-18-2010, 12:55 PM
"You may not have control over what happens to you, but you do have control over how you deal with it."

that reminds me of the saying that my homeroom teacher in high school had plastered all over the walls - "Attitude is a little thing that makes a BIG difference" it's a statement that has become a bit of a platitude these days but one that is still true.

Spider
05-19-2010, 12:07 PM
I heard Zig Ziglar saying, "Your attitude determines your altitude!"

Here's another I like - "What we think about, we bring about!"

hdm
05-24-2010, 01:51 AM
"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant."

greenoak
08-18-2010, 07:53 PM
if you do what you say you will do you will be ahead of most of your competition.....covey or tom peters???
under promise and over deliver
and
girls just want to have fun

syslvester88
09-14-2010, 03:01 PM
One of my favorite quotes is also from Eleanor Roosevelt: “You must do the thing you think you cannot do”. I find this to be one of the most motivating business quotes I've read.

<please set up a signature>

rdcclu
09-28-2010, 02:32 PM
This one is up on my wall. I think it saves hours/days/months of frustration when entering a new market with a new product...

People won't pay a nickel to prevent anything...
But they'll empty their pockets for a cure.

vangogh
09-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Great quote Bob. So true too.

cbscreative
09-30-2010, 09:02 PM
A truly amazing flaw in human nature for sure. What's also amazing is that although the cure usually does require emptying one's pockets, success is seldom guaranteed.

jude1978
10-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Long time lurker here, just want to share some business quotes.

Owen D. Young - “Markets as well as mobs respond to human emotions; markets as well as mobs can be inflamed to their own destruction.”

Woodrow Wilson - “Every great man of business has got somewhere a touch of the idealist in him.”

Woodrow Wilson - “Big business is not dangerous today because it is big, but because its bigness is an unwholesome inflation created by privileges and exemptions which it ought not to enjoy.”

vangogh
10-06-2010, 01:44 AM
Markets as well as mobs respond to human emotions

Interesting and so true.

SEOHelp
10-11-2010, 10:56 AM
A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains.
- Mark Twain

ParaTed2k
10-11-2010, 05:26 PM
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." ~Maya Angelou.

ryantc
01-05-2015, 01:09 PM
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value." — Albert Einstein

Very much the same thought as the original post quote and just as powerful.

CCAdamson
01-06-2015, 09:04 AM
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." -Ronald Reagan

"There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect" -Ronald Reagan

"Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit." -Napoleon Hill

"Success in its highest and noblest form calls for peace of mind and enjoyment and happiness which come only to the man who has found the work that he likes best" -Napoleon Hill

A few of my favorites from two gentlemen, though before my time, I have great respect and admiration.

JC
01-06-2015, 07:03 PM
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm" - Winston Churchhill

mentorbit
02-05-2015, 12:22 PM
"Don't keep forever on the public road, going only where others have gone. Leave the beaten track behind occasionally and dive into the woods. You will be certain to find something you have never seen before..." – Alexander Graham Bell, innovation#5