PDA

View Full Version : Tips for organizing your business?

oneplace
05-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Hey everyone,

I am kind of a nerd and love writing and learning about new ways to organize your business information and business processes. Some of my favorite ways to organize this business information are to de-clutter my office and computer desktop by utilizing folders and files for information, using a online business solution to keep tasks, files and conversations organized, and to plan out your day as much as possible.

Are there other tips that you swear by that I'm not aware of yet? Let me know! It'll definitely help me out, and probably be used as inspiration for upcoming articles to help others keep organized.

vangogh
05-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Interesting question. One thing I've learned about myself over the years is there are certain times of the day/night where I'm more productive and even more there are certain tasks I do better at certain times of day. I try to break down larger projects around these tasks.

For example when writing articles I can break it down to:

brainstorming new ideas
creating outlines
note taking
writing a first draft
editing the draft into a finished article
designing the article visually

brainstorming and writing the draft are more on the creative side and I'm most creative early in the morning and late at night. Typically I start my day with these tasks.

The rest I can be productive with at any time and so I save the creative tasks for morning and night.

I've found in the afternoon there's not too much I can really do productively so I try to use that time for more mundane tasks, the ones you have to fight through no matter what time it is.

Also by doing things this way I can spend a morning writing more than one draft and then spend the afternoon taking notes for several articles I'll write later. Overall the process has helped me be more productive and end up with higher quality articles.

Brian
05-14-2010, 01:48 PM
We use a lot of 3-ring binders in my business for things that we will access regularly--like operating procedures. It helps keep information on a particular topic together, and can be divided as necessary for further organization. It is also easy to update.

Brian Phillips

vangogh
05-14-2010, 02:05 PM
I do pretty much the same thing though it's folders on my computer as opposed to a 3-ring binder. The digital files are usually closer since I'm always on the computer. Same idea, different implementation.

The hard part is remembering to create the documents in the first place. I have a tendency to be in the process and forget to record it.

DeniseTaylor
05-18-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm not using them now, but in the past I have used organizing boards for different tasks that needed it.

When you run an operation and have product that needs to make it through a process, it can help to create a board to move each item down the line visually. This gives a very clear picture at any time where things are in the shop so things don't get overlooked. It can help coordinate staff and schedules so there is coverage on different tasks, and many other things, too.

First you have to list all the points on the production line and draw them out on the board. The more permanent that is, the better, because it won't smudge off. (I used a white board with colored tape to make columns, but you can do it any way you wish).

Then you make place holders for each item. I used colored card stock for my project as the colors themselves identified something about each item. Then I used glue stick or other temporary adhesive to paste it to the board. Each card had the project name written on it. Every day or at intervals during each day, I would update the board, moving the items down the line or taking them off, if they had been delivered.

As a management tool, it became indispensable to me and once I got my staff to help keep the board updated, it was clear to everyone in the shop exactly where things were at any given time. It eliminated a lot of repeat questions and body traffic to my office and made it easier to focus. As a manager, I knew exactly where everything was at any given time.

Production became much more streamlined, materials waste declined significantly and the workload was much easier to manage. It definitely elminated unnecessary busy-ness.

seo-joe
05-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi guys this is my first post in the forum. I'm an SEO and Online Marketing consultant and wanted to intorduce you to some fantastic free software which I use every day to maintain direction.

Its called "Feemind" and it allows you to make mindmaps.

So you could make a mindmap of your seo projects, general to-do tasks, client lists....etc etc...The possibilities are endless.

Before using this software I used to make endless lists and fill diaries with my reminders.

Its great, hope it helps.

Download it here... Main Page - FreeMind - free mind mapping software (http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) :D

hdm
05-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Welcome to the forum, Joe

I don't think I'll ever be free of all the endless paper and files. I need to learn how to let go. I'm a bit better now, having filled about 20 big shredder bags in the last few months.

dynocat
05-22-2010, 12:59 AM
I fight a ever ending battle of too much paper, piles to be filed and assorted notes. It makes me feel great when I take at least one pile, label folders and file it.

Even with what's on the computer I can spend hours reorganizing folders, then suffer with "now where did I put that?" over the next week or so.

Lately, I've noticed I write notes on unrelated papers when on the phone. It's not like I don't have a dozen clean notepads at hand. Just being lazy I guess. I've had to call two people back this week because I misplaced (never "lost") my notes.

Bottom line: I need a secretary/office manager. :D

vangogh
05-22-2010, 11:06 PM
Has anyone ever tried using one of the productivity systems like the "getting things done" system? I read an ebook on a system based on that one and while I never followed everything in it, I do follow a couple of the items.

One I found useful is to set a daily and weekly calendar for what you want to get done. It's important to set time early for those things that are really most important to your business and by most important I don't mean all the small little "emergencies" that people throw at you. Most of those things aren't that important and only keep you from the important stuff.

I can't say I use the calendar all the time. I did for awhile and now seem to be ok without it most of the time, but whenever I find myself getting less productive I always go back to the calendar it works every time.