PDA

View Full Version : What on earth is a stressed keyboard?

Marcomguy
08-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Queen of the Forum, I understand. (And duly respect.)
Wearing out the keyboard, I understand.
In need of a new keyboard, I understand.

But stressed keyboard, I don't understand. I know I have one; it says so under my username. Oh wise ones who govern this forum, pray explain what it means.

Evan
08-26-2008, 05:08 PM
Stress from repeated use? Just taking a stab.

KristineS
08-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Queen of the Forum, I understand. (And duly respect.)

You're o.k. in my book, Marcomguy. :D

The identifiers under everyone's names are just some humorous phrases we thought were fun. A stressed keyboard is one that's been used a lot and will probably need to be replaced soon.

Make sense?

Evan
08-26-2008, 05:37 PM
And when does a member become a "Member with a New Keyboard".

Though that could be a misnomer!

KristineS
08-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Maybe "Member with Replacement Keyboard"?

We'll have to get Vangogh in on this discussion. I think he was the one who originally came up with the titles.

Except, of course, for Queen of the Forum. I nominated myself for that. It's probably about time to change it though. Any suggestions?

Marcomguy
08-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Oh, now I get it. Thanks.

Queen of the Forum is good, Kristine. Might as well tell it like it is.

KristineS
08-26-2008, 08:03 PM
It's so lovely when people recognize my royal magnificence.;)

cbscreative
08-26-2008, 08:17 PM
OK, I guess I get to both explain, and confess. We were discussing different options for titles and wanted to do something more humorous as Kristine indicated. I came up with these titles, and they quickly got voted in and implemented.

Here's how they go:

All members get "member" by default
At 25 posts, you are stressing your keyboard
At 50 posts, you are beginning to wear out your keyboard
At 100 posts, you need a new keyboard

We don't have a got new keyboard level yet, but perhaps later we can set up a nice affiliate program where you can get a good deal on your new keyboard. We could create a level where you are accepting donations for a new keyboard. I think vangogh is already at that level.

billbenson
08-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Seems like you should put a keyboard affiliate on the site :)

Ad-Vice_Man
08-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Does Amazon sell keyboards? They sell everything else.

Coach Morse
08-27-2008, 11:35 AM
On successvibe, after a certain number of posts you get the freedom to create your own title. I think that would be a good prize for hitting 1000 posts.
:cool:

Evan
08-27-2008, 10:52 PM
I think that would be a good prize for hitting 1000 posts. :cool:

Oh boy, the length of time it took me to build up 1000 post last time!

cbscreative
08-27-2008, 11:33 PM
But, Evan, both you and Coach are wearing out your keyboards. That's good progress.

vangogh
08-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Hey it only took someone 2 1/2 weeks to notice the titles.

I think the ones I was thinking of were along the lines of

types too much
won't stop typing

but we thought these were better.

Oh boy, the length of time it took me to build up 1000 post last time!

You're a lightweight. I think I'll be to 1,000 in a day or two. I need to spend some time on other things don't I?

Coach Morse
08-28-2008, 09:14 AM
I will post more if we get more smilies... :cool:

Business Attorney
08-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Actually, I noticed it almost immediately, as I am sure most others did. It took someone 2 1/2 weeks to get up the gumption to ask about it...

KristineS
08-28-2008, 09:57 AM
We're working on getting more smilies. Just have to find the right place from which to get them. I'm researching it.

cbscreative
08-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Maybe Member With Active Keyboard would be better, or something similar.

vangogh
08-28-2008, 12:30 PM
@David - yeah I guess people did notice. I shouldn't assume you didn't because you didn't say anything. I think we were expecting someone to say something sooner and are surprised it took a few weeks.

Marcomguy
08-28-2008, 06:40 PM

I noticed it early. But after that, it took me some time to try and figure out what it meant. Yes, I...think...slowly.

Finally I couldn't stand it any more, so I asked.

Now that I know what "stressed keyboard" means, I like it. Though "types too much" is cool too, kind of like "Dances With Wolves."

Oh no! I am not going to get sucked into that movie game.

KristineS
08-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Oh no! I am not going to get sucked into that movie game.

Do not resist the power of the movie game. Join us! :D

Actually the movie game is kind of fun.

vangogh
08-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Resistance is futile. You will play the movie game. You must play the movie game.

Kristine do you like the new 30s only movies rule?

KristineS
08-28-2008, 08:59 PM
So far it seems to be working o.k. I think I'd rather do forties movies because there were a lot of great musicals in the 40s. The 30s are pretty good though.

vangogh
08-28-2008, 09:15 PM
I imagine we'll get to the 40s at some point. We've been playing this game for close to two years now, if you can believe it.

cbscreative
08-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Speaking of "Resistance is futile," I was able to tie my last movie entry to Star Trek.

orion_joel
08-29-2008, 02:15 AM
I noticed the titles pretty early, but just saw it as the same as other forums that have changing titles as you increase your post count. Didn't really think much else of it.

I hope some new titles come along soon, cause i been needing a new keyboard for some time now.

vangogh
08-29-2008, 02:20 AM
Actually that's it, but I can always create more. We'll have to come up with some fun titles and make you wait till you get there to see what they are.

KristineS
08-29-2008, 08:13 AM
I think that's a good idea vangogh. I'm sure we can come up with some goofy stuff.

Spider
08-29-2008, 10:48 PM
@David - yeah I guess people did notice. I shouldn't assume you didn't because you didn't say anything. I think we were expecting someone to say something sooner and are surprised it took a few weeks.Seeing as the first post I can find was 12.53pm on August 6th -- http://www.small-business-forum.net/forum-news-announcements/5-welcome-new-sbf.html#post70

... and I remarked about custom titles at 9.46pm on August 6th -- http://www.small-business-forum.net/feedback-suggestions/34-avatars.html#post205

... I think it only took 8 hours for someone to mention it, not a few weeks!

I think it is about time that switch was thrown so we can create our own appropriate - as opposed to meaningless - titles.

billbenson
08-30-2008, 12:32 AM
I don't get why you think it's that important Spider? If its because you think it helps credibility from a marketing standpoint, I don't think so.

Take the old forum in it's hay day for example. I had just joined. Like any forum, you need to hang around a while to see who really knows their stuff, and what they know. You need to hang around to see who has professional credibility.

Coming from the web side, it didn't take long for me to figure out who I would trust, recommend, etc for various types of services. Say I wanted legal services or business coaching which I have limited knowledge of; who would I send a pm to for a referral? Probably someone who had been around the forum(s) a long time and was educated on their subject mater.

I can think of a webmaster forum where the technical information is great, but the SEO advice is horrible. The title under their name may be moderator, web genious, whatever. it has no value. Neither does any kind of ranking system. Ya, on the old forum, if someone has a ton of posts that's an indicator. A better indicator is to search their old posts and see what value they had and how other people competent to comment on their post have to say.

Lastly, there is a different webmaster forum I go to frequently. There are a couple of people there who don't post much, but drop in. I know one is working on his doctorate in something related to web design. Computer Science... I don't know. I know if he makes a post or a few other people on that forum I read them and respect whatever they have to say. Their post counts aren't that high and I have no clue what title is under their avatar.

I would be opposed to self proclaimed titles. I also think that the ones that are automatic based on post count are meaningless.

orion_joel
08-30-2008, 02:12 AM
I agree with you Bill, I used to visit a web development forum, where there was one poster who maybe had made a few dozen posts, But whenever he did post, the post was well worth reading and gave a massive amount of insight to the topic, and many people responded. He just had the automatic title for the post count and it meant nothing really.

But then again as you have, i have been to forums were there are more people with titles then people without, and many of the titles mean nothing because as soon as the person posts you know their title does not match what they know. As far as i know pretty much all forums have some sort of default title, weather it be in the style as we have here, or something more simple, like "Member". The title is a fact of forums, either you like it and pay attention or dislike and can ignore it.

billbenson
08-30-2008, 02:51 AM
or, at a moderators discretion, they give an appropriate title; otherwise boilerplate titles. I think at this point boilerplate titles are appropriate, but, should someone really show their expertise in an area, recognizing that is appropriate. It puts the moderators at risk of - lets see if this makes it through the filter - pissing someone off, if someone with similar knowledge is posting good info.

Not an easy decision, but for now I think boilerplate is best. I can think of one person on the web side here who justifies a personal title, but its premature. And I'm not thinking of a moderator.

Leatherneck
08-30-2008, 03:41 AM
Very well said Bill. I guess it is kind of like saying you can't judge a book by its cover. I look at how many posts people might have but I don't use that to vote or judge for some type of award. My fence and deck business is in so many ways different from the businesses of most members on this forum and I'm sure it wouldn't take a rocket scientest too figure out that I can't come close too bluffing my way into a conversation, so I'm limited too just trying too help out on what I do know from all my years going through the college of hard knocks, where I received my degree.

I belonged to the old forum years ago and I felt the same way over there. I met two of the members on this forum back then and had them both do work for me. I still would have them service me today.

Some times I feel way out of place on this forum because of our different types of businesses, but I enjoy the friendship and the professionalism of all the people in this friendly community. Everyone is here too try and help each other the way it should be.

KristineS
08-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Titles generally are pretty meaningless on forums. So for that matter is post count. I've been on forums where people make a big deal when someone reaches 500 posts or 1000 posts or whatever. What counts is the quality of what you post, not the quantity or what some little title under your name says.

Our titles were just put out there for fun. They don't really mean anything and we know that. Since they don't really have any significance, we thought it would be fun to make them kind of silly. That's all there is to that.

Spider
08-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Maybe the titles are not particularly important overall. But, like everything else, they are as important as individuals feel them to be.

To my way of thinking, the silliness of the present titles detracts from the forum. They lower the tone. They do not add friendliness or comradery, they add silliness. If titles are unimportant to the organizers, I think we would be better off without them entirely.

Marcomguy
09-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm fine with silly titles. People in forums sometimes tend to get het up about things, so a little levity here and there keeps it cool.