PDA

View Full Version : iPad'astic

Paper Shredder Clay
05-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I got a iPad 3G on Saturday, and man, I love it. I debated waiting until the second generation to get one but after I spent a night with one, I had to go out and get it the next day. In much a similar way what the iPhone done to people, the iPad has done to iPhone users. It keeps getting better. I think they could have and should have added camera to front and back (or at least just the front), but they are prolly saving that for next year. This is a great device for kids to the elderly mainly because you don't have to learn the operating system, it just works.

vangogh
05-03-2010, 12:39 PM
I'll be looking at them later this week and may be able to say the same thing as you next weekend. I already know I'm going to buy one. The question has always been get one now or wait till the second generation.

Aside for all the content consumption I'm most excited about some of the sketching apps.

I think with this first generation it was very important to Apple to keep the price point at $500. That's why you don't see the camera. I expect in time the camera will be included and the price will drop, but for now the only way to keep the price point at $500 was to leave it out. Speculation on my part of course.

Paper Shredder Clay
05-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Well I think there are several reasons the first generation doesn't have a camera. One of the main reasons is it will compete against the iPhone. If it had a decent camera and video chatting capabilities like the expected iPhone 4G/HD will, then people could buy an iPad and have whatever phone they want. Also Apple always needs to think ahead about what features they can add to the iPad, and that is a brilliant option for next year. It is rather large for a normal back-facing camera, but perfect for a front-facing camera especially for video chatting.

vangogh
05-03-2010, 07:23 PM
You might be right, but I still think it had more to do with meeting a price point for the first generation iPad. That was a big deal to Apple since most people expected the price to be much more. I also think it's why you see the 3G and wireless only versions.

Another reason though might be how useful a camera would really be in an iPad. It's certainly not the thing you're going to carry around when you're expecting to be taking pictures. You're probably grabbing your camera. Many phones now include cameras too and we're going to have our phones with us. As far as the idea of video conferencing, it's a great idea in theory, but how many people actually use it. I'm talking about the people who are the market for the iPad. I have a video camera built into my laptop and it's never once been used. I think the typical person who buys an iPad isn't looking to video chat. Some will, but the majority probably don't care much about it. So a camera sounds like something missing in the iPad, but for most people it's probably not something they would use anyway. Given that, why up the cost.

Harold Mansfield
05-03-2010, 09:52 PM
If they are going to come out with a forward facing camera for video chat, then I have to wait for that.
That's the cool factor for me, otherwise it's just another apparatus that does what all my other stuff does.

vangogh
05-03-2010, 11:38 PM
I don't think it really does what everything else does. I could have said the same thing about my phone when I bought it. I think the larger size does open up a lot of new possibilities in the touch interface. On the phone you're basically using one finger, maybe two. On the iPad you can use all fingers on both hands. That allows so much more input to make it a new device.

Without considering the interface can I do anything on it that I can't do on either my laptop or phone? Probably not. However I think it will do some things I currently do on either better. And in the end you can't separate the touch interface.

By no means is it a perfect device. There's plenty I wish it could do that it currently doesn't. Some of that will come with apps. Some of it relies on Apple adding the hardware, which they may or may not do. One thing I'd like to see is some kind of stylus. I'm guessing that will come since they have them for the iPhone. I think at times holding something that feels like a pen or pencil will be more useful than using your fingers. Again I'm thinking about sketching application. I'd really like to see a touch sensitive penlike device that can be used with sketching programs.

I'd like a camera, though it's hardly a deal breaker for me. I doubt I'd use it much or at all. Part of me thinks should I wait for version 2, but the reality with all devices is you replace them every few years. What's the difference between buying version 1 and then version 3 or buying version 2 and then version 4. Either way you have the latest and greatest for a time and then you don't.

Harold Mansfield
05-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Part of me thinks should I wait for version 2, but the reality with all devices is you replace them every few years. What's the difference between buying version 1 and then version 3 or buying version 2 and then version 4. Either way you have the latest and greatest for a time and then you don't.

That is definitely true. It seems we are always pretty much about 3 months away from the next upgrade which makes what we just purchased last years model.

vangogh
05-04-2010, 01:20 AM
I know. No matter what you buy now, it feels obsolete in a few months. It hit me that we end up buying every other or every third version of a product we like so what's the difference really what version we start with. Assuming it's something we like we'll just continue buying it every few years. until something better comes along