PDA

View Full Version : Forum suggestion

the goat
08-26-2008, 06:38 AM
I would love to see a section for affiliate marketing in the "web" section. I understand that the amount of different forums is a bit of a divisive subject, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. It is quite popular these days.

cbscreative
08-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, and I hope to see others here share their input on it. The admins here have a personal interest in this subject because we're discussing it ourselves. We want to have some programs that not only generate income for the SBF, but provide useful resources for the members here.

vangogh
08-28-2008, 01:43 AM
Actually affiliate marketing is one I'd like to add in time. Everything I do is online so I'm all for expanding the online portion of the forum and that is one category that has been on my mind.

We'll probably wait awhile before adding new forums. Right now we'd prefer to see every forum fill up. As we get more members, threads, and post we'll likely expand where needed. I can see a section about online business models, including affiliate marketing.

orion_joel
08-30-2008, 08:29 AM
As it is online related i suppose we can always start discussing it in that forum now anyway. If there is a lot of discussion on say affiliate marketing specifically that may give Vangogh, a hint when the dedicated area may be needed.

vangogh
08-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Oh yeah. For not affiliate marketing talk is probably fine under the online marketing forum. The way we'll eventually expand will be based on the topics of threads that naturally occur.

Say we start getting a good amount of affiliate marketing questions in the online marketing forum. We'll first create a new sub forum of online marketing and move some of the affiliate threads in there. We won't move all, but some of the recent threads. Then as the sub forum fills up, if it calls for being a full forum we'll make the sub forum it's own standalone forum.

I think right now we have enough forums where most any question can find some place to call home. From here on out for the most part we'll just pay attention to what topics are being discussed and if we miss it we hope someone will offer feedback to let us know forum X is getting a lot of threads about topic Y. Maybe we should have a Y sub forum.

cbscreative
08-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Good point, vangogh. We rely a lot on user feedback, so these comments are not only welcome, they are also appreciated.

billbenson
08-30-2008, 02:32 PM
I'd say rather than affiliate section, a monetization section. There are a ton of ways to monitize a site including affiliate programs. That also might get more interest from the people with brick and morter businesses who use their website as a support tool, not their major source of income.

I agree though, you don't want to many forums. I just tripped over responces to a post I made in a forum I don't usually frequent.

Is there a way to:
1. see your recent posts to look for responses.
2. To list recent posts so you can scan though them to see ones that might be relevant to you.

If there is, a sticky somewhere on how to do that would be helpful. Maybe a how to find stuff on the forum sticky?

cbscreative
08-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Bill, I checked your user settings, and if you go under Edit Options in your User CP, you can change your Default Thread Subscription Mode to something other than Do Not Subscribe. I could have done that for you, but I'd rather not mess with your settings so you can choose them yourself. Once you "subscribe" to threads you have posted in, you'll see a blue checkbox icon in the lists of posts showing threads you have posted in. They will also display as a list in your User CP and unread ones will be bold.

vangogh
08-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Bill I have mine set to the do not email selection. Whenever I post in a thread I'm automatically subscribed. When I log in all the threads I'm subscribed to that have a response since mine appear in my user control panel. Once you click to look it won't show in your control panel again until someone else posts.

I'm actually thinking more along the lines of a monetization forum too that would include affiliate marketing.