PDA

View Full Version : How can I take advantage of this

dynocat
04-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Several times over the years I've heard from customers that one or another of our products is touted on a blog or forum. Recently we had a product recommended by the author in a magazine article.

I usually learn of this from repeat customers ordering the same product steadily over a period of time. Occasionally someone will call to order and tell me where they heard of us.

I've never known quite how to put this free advertising to use.

It's not like I can sign up on a forum and spam their members.

Ideas?

Patrysha
04-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Yes, you can. You can find the post on the forum and say Thank you for the recommend and if you like the forum you can hang around :-) Also good to ask the original poster if you can use it as a testimonial. Pretty much the same thing with blog posts...just go and say thanks...

You can go to the magazine and grab the url and say "as featured in"

vangogh
04-21-2010, 11:57 AM
You can definitely join the forum to say thanks, though like all forums if you stick around and become part of the community to some degree you'll likely have more success. You can also reply to blog comments and like Patrysha mentioned you can use "as featured in"

Another thing you can do is check where a visitor came from when they land on your site and if they're visiting from one of these places that mention you, you can offer a custom welcome message appropriate to the site they're coming from.

KristineS
04-21-2010, 12:19 PM
If you have Twitter and Facebook accounts you can also mention it there. The last time our thread was used in a design that was featured on the cover of a prominent industry magazine, we teamed up with the company that created and sewed the design and talked it up everywhere. It was mentioned on their blog, on our blog, and on the Twitter and Facebook accounts that both companies have.

dynocat
04-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the advice. I knew there was more I could be doing. Now I better get busy and "Just Do It." Whose slogan is that anyway?

Patrysha
04-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Whose slogan is that anyway?

Hmmm dunno...probably some nobody company from nowhere...bwa ha ha!

Business Attorney
04-22-2010, 02:13 PM
I thought it was Tiger Woods' personal slogan.

dynocat
04-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Hmmm dunno...probably some nobody company from nowhere...bwa ha ha!

Acutally, it was Nike,
The Center for Applied Research (CAR) says that Nike's "Just do it" slogans is probably "one of the most inspirational brand statements of all time." The sports apparel and equipment company can back that up with 20 years of commitment to the slogan and millions of dollars in sales associated with it.

One might say that Nike made "Just do it" so powerful with the sheer volume of resources and exposure it dedicated to the slogan. Could they have succeeded as much by giving some other slogan similar exposure?

Perhaps not, because the slogan is a very good fit for Nike. Observers say nothing reflects the company spirit more than the words "just do it." In fact, corporate legend says it was the Nike can-do attitude that led to the slogan.

Read more at Suite101: Nike Slogan Just Do It: Swoosh Checkmark Considered One of Best Brand Logos of All Time http://advertising.suite101.com/article.cfm/nikes_just_do_it_slogan#ixzz0ltXSyBZc

It was 1988, so guess I'm showing my age. It was the same year I got my first computer, an XT! ;)

dynocat
04-23-2010, 12:38 AM
I thought it was Tiger Woods' personal slogan.

:) :) :) Thanks for the laugh! :)

Patrysha
04-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Um just so you don't think I'm dumb....I did know that.

dynocat
04-25-2010, 12:39 AM
Um just so you don't think I'm dumb....I did know that.

Sorry, I guess I didn't get you were joking. :o Seriously I couldn't remember the name of the company when I posted. I was hoping someone would clue me in. I ended up looking it up! :D

Patrysha
04-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Ah see, and since that one is a such a classic marketing example...I figured you were joking about not knowing...