PDA

View Full Version : Blogging for Business 101

Harold Mansfield
04-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Sometimes I have to remember that everyone doesn't have a blog, nor do they know what to do with one or how to use it.

As part of my efforts to launch a new site, I am writing a few articles geared at Professionals, Companies and Business people who don't blog or know much about it...basically the blogging impaired.

I'm not looking for a review or anything of it, after all it is a little lengthy and it's nothing that most of you with blogs, don't already know....but it covers that basics of what you can and should do if you want to use blogging to attract potential new clients and customers.

There is not a whole lot of tech babble in it, but I thought it would help some of the blogging impaired to get a base, instead of trying to play catch up on some of our blogging conversations around here.

Blogging for Business: How to use a blog effectively to generate new clients | iPundit (http://ipundit.org/2010/04/16/blogging-for-business-how-to-use-a-blog-effectively-to-generate-new-clients/)

Also remember that although I try to be fair and impartial and just provide the information, everyone blogs with an agenda, and I am no different.

KristineS
04-19-2010, 02:39 PM
I liked it. You did a good basic overview which highlighted the different options nicely. I also like the lack of tech babble, since I'm on of the non-techies around here (just ask Vangogh, since he's the techie who makes my sites work).

Harold Mansfield
04-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Actually, I can thank Jen for reminding me that everyone is not sittng at a computer all day
http://www.small-business-forum.net/internet-marketing/2865-finally-made-facebook-page.html

I know print inside and out - paper, coatings, spot vs cmyk, how to tri-fold and plan for die-cutting, variable data...

I thought to myself, "What the heck did she just say?" and wondered if I was doing that to clients too.

I never did before, but I guess I have a lot more in my head now than I did 3 years ago, though I still feel light years behind everyone else.

Spider
04-19-2010, 04:49 PM
I was going to sign up but then I got scared of all the e-mail I might start receiving!!!!

:D

Harold Mansfield
04-19-2010, 05:02 PM
I was going to sign up but then I got scared of all the e-mail I might start receiving!!!!

:D

Darn it, almost got ya!

Honestly, I never had a desire to build a mailing list or send out a newsletter. I do send my clients an occasional email about upgrading their plug ins or version of Wordpress, but that's really about it for me and those are rare.

KristineS
04-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Actually, I can thank Jen for reminding me that everyone is not sittng at a computer all day
http://www.small-business-forum.net/internet-marketing/2865-finally-made-facebook-page.html

I do sit at a computer all day, only I just put things into it. I don't know how to actually make it do anything.

Actually that's not true. I do have a basic understanding, I just don't have the patience.

vangogh
04-21-2010, 07:38 PM
That's a good article Harold. Covers all the basics that someone might want to know. What you may want to do is right on the page somewhere offer your WordPress installation services or a free installation as long as the hosting goes through your affiliate link. :)

Harold Mansfield
04-21-2010, 09:59 PM
That's a good article Harold. Covers all the basics that someone might want to know. What you may want to do is right on the page somewhere offer your WordPress installation services or a free installation as long as the hosting goes through your affiliate link. :)

Well..it's kinda already on my site where I'm trying to attract people to sign up either free or for paid services, and I didn't really want to throw an affiliate link on there as well since all of the links benefit me in some way.

I kinda set a rule (even though I'm the only one writing right now) for contributors..no affiliate links within the article. Ad monetization (via adsense) is O.K. and an Authors box at the end with a short bio and your contact info is encouraged, but...no outright solicitation.

I may change that, but for now, I have this vision of keeping it sane so it doesn't come off as one big marketing ploy and get all spammy.

I mean there are enough subtle nuances that say "My network has this and theirs don't", without shouting it.
With this, the goal is Premium Users..residual monthly income. That's the big picture.

vangogh
04-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Makes sense. Seems like a natural fit though to mention installation services in that post if you offer WP installation services. The reason for the affiliate hosting link is so you can offer the installation part for free. You make money off the affiliate hosting sale and the customer gets a free WP installation. Win-win for everyone.

Harold Mansfield
04-22-2010, 11:57 PM
I do understand and normally it makes sense and here is where it gets kind of sticky. My goal (with these articles) is not to attract business for my Wordpress services...its to get users on iPundit.
The 2 are in direct conflict with each other, I know...I could feasibly create something that puts me out of business on one end, yet build something on the other end that is a lot more lucrative and creates more value for the user.

It's actually a big conflict.

vangogh
04-23-2010, 11:08 AM
I can understand, especially if people don't need to go through the whole install process to get a blog on iPundit.