PDA

View Full Version : Starting expenses/ Licenses?

JERichards
03-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone my name is James and im looking to start a pc repair business in the next 2 years. Could anyone inform me on the starting expenses and the license/ licenses ill need to get this business up and running? Any help would be much appreciated.

Patrysha
03-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Welcome to the forum.

The answers to your questions are going to vary depending on where you live and how you plan to run your business.

Harold Mansfield
03-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Hi everyone my name is James and im looking to start a pc repair business in the next 2 years. Could anyone inform me on the starting expenses and the license/ licenses ill need to get this business up and running? Any help would be much appreciated.

Assuming you already know the cost of any hardware or software that you need, as well as costs for uniforms, website, transportation, marketing and marketing materials, and business communication (mobile phone and or business line) immediate expenses that you can probably count on are:

Business license: Usually issued by county. If you live in an area that encompasses more than one county and you plan on doing business in all of them, you will need a license to operate in each one.

For instance, my area has 3 counties. A Business license in each runs around $35 to $80 for a computer repair business,

DBA: You will also most likely need a DBA in each county (Doing Business As). Generally run in my area $15-$50.

In many states, going to people businesses or homes to perform a service requires that you are insured and bonded. This is where it could get expensive. You would have to check the laws in your state to see what is required.

Dan Furman
03-27-2010, 12:39 AM
does anyone really get their PC "repaired" anymore?

Really, it's a valid question that you probably want to answer before doing anything.

Harold Mansfield
03-27-2010, 03:12 AM
Dan does bring up a good point. Especially since you are talking about 2 years from now. We are already at a stage of self diagnostics, back ups and redundancies, mirrored drives and more tools and cleaners than we know what to do with.

How big will the market be 2 years from now when computers will be even cheaper, smaller, faster and the average user will be smarter ?

billbenson
03-27-2010, 06:46 PM
The average computer owner can't maintain their own computer. I'm talking about software as hardware failures are rare in comparison.

People buy a computer and expect them to work, and they generally do. But most know nothing about computer maintenance such as spyware protection, spam etc.

My wife fixed an elderly womans pc today. She said it was just filled with virus's.

A friends high school kid downloads everything in the world on the family computer and nobody can keep it running.

So, I see a place for maintenance. I don't see someone who just bought a HP pc for $400 thinking that paying $60 per hour every month to keep the pc running is fair though.

Certainly not a business I'd select, but there is a need.