PDA

View Full Version : Deductible expense question

Blessed
03-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I do some writing for a locally owned, online newspaper - I don't get reimbursed for this writing financially - we do some small trade between ourselves and I get some great networking opportunities in exchange for writing.

My question is - I am writing a review on a new restaurant in town. I paid for my own meal, is that expense deductible? I'll probably be doing several more of these this year and I just want to get an idea of whether or not those receipts are deductible.

Thanks!

phanio
03-25-2010, 11:53 AM
I am not an accountant or lawyer - but, it seems to me that it was a business expense and should be deductible. The irs puts out guides to help business owners understand what is deductible and what is not - try this: Publication 535 (2009), Business Expenses (http://www.irs.gov/publications/p535/ch07.html#en_US_publink1000144871)

Evan
03-27-2010, 11:56 PM
If you're in the business or writing, and are some sort of columnist, then sure. Perhaps you can keep a copy of the articles as well to show that it was published and that the business purpose did exist (if ever questioned).

The only time it would probably be an issue is if you're doing this every night and it's a receipt for dinner for five, and you have a spouse and three kids.