PDA

View Full Version : How do you work with your bookkeeper?

fabrizio
03-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Hello here,

I am looking for a bookkeeper and I was wondering what's the way usually you work with them. I always took care of everything myself, but now I'd like to free-up some of my time by delegating this task.

Here are my specific questions to who of you have already a bookkeeper:

1. Do you send them your actual, hard copies bank account for filing?

2. Do you send them your QuickBooks files or online banking files instead of the real, hard copies of the bank accounts?

3. How do you send them your QuickBoks files? Via email or other media?

3. Do you give them complete access to your bank accounts?

I am trying to find the most secure and efficient way to work with them with the current tools at our disposal. In other words, my goal is to save as much time as I can, the most efficient and secure way.

Any thoughts are very welcome, thank you in advance!

Best,

Fabrizio

dynocat
03-21-2010, 11:51 AM
I've done bookeeping for small businesses.
Some businesses I picked up the check register, bank statements and worked from that.

Now I do more through emailed files. With the quickbooks files, there is no need for me to have for hard copies. I've never had access to the bank account and wouldn't recommend it.

As far as filing the hard copies, many just put them a "statement" file each month. You probably can even eliminate the paper copy altogether if you want to save on paper and filing.

vangogh
03-21-2010, 11:33 PM
I still do my own books, but I do have a friend who does the books for a business here in town. She goes in and picks up whatever paperwork she needs. Sometimes she works there and sometimes she takes it home. I don't think she has access to the businesses bank account, though I'm not sure she needs it.

While working for other small businesses over the years it seemed like they worked similarly. Someone came in from time to time to collect whatever they needed and either worked in the office/store or took some of the work home.

Steve B
03-22-2010, 04:27 AM
I have a bookkeeper for my second business. I e-mail her the information necessary for her to send out invoices. She has the only copy of Quickbooks - so that isn't an issue. My customers send the checks to a P.O. Box where she has the key. She makes the deposits. She has access to our on-line banking and she pays the bills (which are also sent to the same P.O. Box. Basically - my partner and I do the sales and the customer service.

fabrizio
03-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Thank you guys for your replies and information, that's really appreciated.

Steve, I'd like to know the following if you don't mind:

1. Is your bookkeeper a certified and bonded professional?

2. Is he/she an individual or a company/service?

Thank you again very much, your help will give me the correct starting foot!

Best,
Fabrizio

Patrysha
03-22-2010, 12:01 PM
When I did bookkeeping for an oil hauling company, I either went over to their home office to work or brought their laptop home with me to work along with the paperwork to be entered. I didn't have access to their bank accounts or anything like that, it was primarily data entry and report printing.

Similar with the data entry I did for my aunt the accountant...

Steve B
03-23-2010, 05:50 AM
My bookkeeper works in the office of my Accountant. I don't know anything about her specific qualifications or insurance. My accountant's office has three employees - two CPA's and the assistant/bookkeeper.

Evan
03-27-2010, 11:52 PM
For bookkeeping services, generally the QB file and a copy of bank statements are necessary. As one of the most fundamentally important accounts for an accountant is "cash", or a checking account -- if they're not getting access to these records, then they must work miracles. I can't tell you how many clients have checking accounts that don't tie in to their cash per their corporate records...

As for the idea with Steve -- I'd be skeptical about that setup in general. Preparing the deposits and stuff is not an issue, but if she is also paying the bills (e.g. signing checks), you're really not in control of your business. This is often how fraud happens. In such cases, make sure you get a copy of bank statements delivered to you and you review them carefully.

Steve B
03-28-2010, 05:09 AM
The banking is on-line and I check it frequently. I get e-mail notification whenever a new payee is established. Luckily - we're not making money so there's nothing to steal! :) :(

Evan
03-29-2010, 12:57 AM
Well Steve -- that's a good thing, sort of. Good to know nothing can be stolen, but bad for you, of course.

I'm surprised they sign checks or initiate these payments, as they are assuming a bit of liability with it. I'm sure they've figured it out from past experience though...

Steve B
03-29-2010, 05:05 AM
Once the business starts making money - we'll be able to justify an admin person and we'll bring the bookkeeping in house.

gbiz1
05-13-2011, 01:12 AM
I have two different type of clients, low tech and high tech. The low tech I pick up the paperwork from them and the high tech I use online bookkeeping. They give me all necessary source documents but they mostly keep access to bank accounts. It really comes down to trust.

CakeIO
07-05-2011, 12:45 PM
As a business owner myself, I know how doing your own bookkeeping takes up so much time. And I don't mean to change your mind about delegating or outsourcing your bookkeeping, just wanted to tell you what I did for my business...

My business only requires a profit and loss statement, plus a bit of break down of the expenses categories. This is very simple info to generate for my accountant so it makes no sense to me to hire someone to create a report like that when I can just do it my self in minutes.

The program I use to keep track of my finances is something I built my self and it lets me quickly enter my transactions into the database. Then to run a report I gust click a button and it's ready to go to the accountant.

Your business might not be as simple as mine so this type of system might not work for you but I just wanted to throw it in, in case it would help.