PDA

View Full Version : The Social Networking Profile plug in on steroids, Lifestream

Harold Mansfield
03-19-2010, 09:12 PM
This one plug in can replace every other plug in you have for any Social Media, Social Bookmarking, or Social Networking profile that you have anywhere online.

The Plug in: WordPress › Lifestream WordPress Plugins (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/lifestream/other_notes/)

You can input all of your profiles and display the updates as a sidebar widget or on their own page

I set up an example to test it out as a page. Granted, I don't have a lot of activity on anything except Twitter at the moment, but this thing basically is compatible with every RSS feed and profile that you have anywhere on the web,

An Example: That's Life, Fugget ! (http://thatslife.fugget.com/)

Features

* Personalizable CSS classes.
* Detailed configuration options.
* Supports nearly every major social networking website
* Unlimited number of feeds in your Lifestream.
* Supports grouping of events.
* Localization ready!
* Digest available to summarize your activities.
* WordPress MU is supported.

Built-in Feeds

The plugin includes most of the major social networking feeds available. You may add your own, as well as send me ideas for new feeds at dcramer@gmail.com. If you wish to add custom extensions, please see extensions/README.

* Facebook
* Digg
* Blog
* Twitter
* Reddit
* De.licio.us
* Jaiku
* Last.fm (Revamped plugin in 0.38)
* Flickr (Improved display in 0.39)
* Photobucket
* Pownce
* YouTube
* Google Reader
* Yelp
* MySpace Blog
* Skitch
* Identi.ca
* Pandora
* Hulu
* TwitPic
* Vimeo
* StumbleUpon
* Tumblr
* Amazon Wishlist
* Ma.gnolia
* Zooomr
* Blip.fm
* Brightkite
* Picasa (Web)
* Kongregate
* Viddler
* coComment
* FoodFeed
* MyEpisodes
* Mixx
* SlideShare
* Blip.tv
* Steam
* Xbox Live
* iTunes
* Github
* Readernaut
* ScrnShots
* Mobypicture
* SmugMug
* DeviantArt
* BackType
* LibraryThing
* Netflix
* Wikipedia
* Upcoming.org
* WordPress Codex
* Raptr
* Gowalla
* Kiva
* Codaset
* Foursquare
* Ustream

and here is the part that is truly complete Social Networking overkill, your conglomeration of profile feeds, has its own feed as well.

vangogh
03-20-2010, 07:56 PM
That definitely pulls in a lot of social feeds doesn't it? I assume you have control over which of your social profiles you do and don't want to pull from.

I've been wondering lately how useful it is to pull social feeds into your blog. They make sense for certain types of blogs, but for most I read I can honestly say I never look at the twitter feed scrolling by. I usually just prefer the link to follow the person.

That might just be me though. I can definitely see where others would like to see the feeds and they do make sense on certain types of blogs.

Harold Mansfield
03-20-2010, 08:13 PM
I'll have to be honest, for me, it's getting to be a bit much. Looking at this plug in made me tired.

I mean do I really care about keeping updated with all of those profiles from other people ? And if not, why should they care about keeping up with mine ?

vangogh
03-21-2010, 11:42 PM
That's kind of how I feel about it too. That's not a knock agains the plugin by any means. It looks like a one size fits all way to add social stuff to your blog. I think to myself how often do I ever read someone's Twitter stream while on their blog and the answer is practically never. I do think it's a good idea to link to your social media profiles, but I'm not sure how important it is to pull the content into your blog.

Depends on the site though and how much the person behind it engages with different social sites.