PDA

View Full Version : The Cabinet Guy - Business Cards

Blessed
03-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Since I'm celebrating business card week over here in Missouri :)

Here's One for "The Cabinet Guy"

Front
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm73/CrazyDogsBlog/BusCardSamples/cabguysample-1.jpg

and back
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm73/CrazyDogsBlog/BusCardSamples/cabguysample-2.jpg

Initially this card was only the front without a background and was printed thermo (that's the bumpy raised plasticish ink). We revised it a year or so ago into this format and he just keeps reordering - so I guess it's working.

It seems that most of my clients want a front/back business card these days. Have any of the printers out there noticed that trend as well?

vangogh
03-19-2010, 06:34 PM
I like the card. I think one image would work better on the back than two, but otherwise it seems like a good card for a cabinet person. Even better might be to forget any images on the back and use the back solely for additional information.

Paper Shredder Clay
03-22-2010, 01:56 PM
I always make clients double-sided cards; otherwise you are giving up half the real estate. Its hard to tell if you have glossy on both sides. I would advice only have glossy on one side and provide enough room to write in a phone number or date. There may come a time when you will need to write on it, which doesn't work on glossy.

Paul Elliott
04-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Jenn,

I, too, like the single background image. He's not trying to sell customers on his variety, just his product. His presentation portfolio is where he should showcase his variety and workmanship. I'd suggest an even lighter screen with the background, so there is less interference with the written message.
I also like using both sides of a card. It's simply additional billboard space.
One suggestion -- remove the clownish caricature and replace it with a smiling head-shot looking at the reader. Caricatures are subliminally very effective at cheapening the person and the product. Sure, they're cute. A person in business doesn't want to be portrayed as "cute." They want to be portrayed as confident and competent.
Another benefit of using a head-shot of the person is that it identifies a particular individual with whom we can begin to relate.

The subliminal (subconscious) zone of our thinking is where 85-90% of our decision-making processes take place. We, then, use the other 10-15% to "rationally" justify our decision, first to ourselves, then to anyone else who might review our decision.

I always want to be in the 85-90% region to influence--ethically--my customer's decision BEFORE my customer realizes he or she has made a decision. However, most of the time we only work on the 10-15% leaving the larger portion to chance ... or even worse, we influence the subliminal with the wrong messages without even recognizing what we have done.

Images should be used with caution, since we can have limited influence on the reader's take-away message. Give me a thousand words anytime rather than a picture. I can influence my customer with much greater precision with a thousand words than with a picture.

An exception to this is when using a video with audio. The audio portion controls what the viewer is receiving from the video.

Paul

Blessed
04-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Hi Again Paul!

That particular kitchen turned out really nicely... his painting partner used the same background on his business cards too - the painter guy primarily works in Arkansas/Southern Missouri - The Cabinet Guy primarily works up here around the KC Metro area. Occasionally they collaborate on projects - personally they have been friends for a couple decades. In print the screen is perfect - on screen it always seems too dark.

As for the clownish caricature... this is a pretty early logo for me - I can't remember how many years ago I did it. These days I'd rather not claim it most of the time :D At this point - everyone loves the guy and he's on everything. Darrell has red hair and people who know Darrell and his work instantly associate the caricature with Darrell - so it won't be changing anytime soon. Also I know I'll never be able to talk Darrell into using a headshot... I've suggested it a time or two and it hasn't gone anywhere.

Thank you for your input Paul - I had wondered where you were hiding out at!

Paul Elliott
04-07-2010, 09:18 PM
I hear you, Jenn. I was afraid I was commenting about your artwork. :o I certainly do not want to insult your art but thought I'd better say it anyway. Bidness is bidness.

About head shots ... the currently available software photographers have can make any of us look like a movie star. :D

Hiding? Yes, I've been swamped ... which is not solely due to my Louisiana residence. It's hard to pray for bad times, but the difficult economic times have certainly been good for my marketing business. :cool:

Suddenly, people who knew it all a couple of years ago had a few questions. lol I've simply have to logon here more often!

Keep up your excellent work!

Paul

Blessed
04-08-2010, 12:29 AM
Photoshop is wonderful... I can make you look like a swamp monster or a movie star... just takes a few clicks and tweaks and voila...

We're swamped around here with water - all the turkey hunters are a bit grumpy about it, all the fishermen are happy. Me? I'd just like my 2 year old to be able to play outside without getting all muddy!

Work? Well... I'm working on it - I've had some good weeks recently, hopefully that continues!

Paul Elliott
04-08-2010, 12:47 AM
Photoshop is wonderful... I can make you look like a swamp monster or a movie star... just takes a few clicks and tweaks and voila...

Oh, no, my dear, not Photoshop. What I saw recently works much better and can take off at least 15 years ... the most recent 15 ... without a trace! Now if I could just do something about those other "regions." <hmmm> Exactly what all does Frank do? ;)

We're swamped around here with water - all the turkey hunters are a bit grumpy about it, all the fishermen are happy. Me? I'd just like my 2 year old to be able to play outside without getting all muddy!

In our area the turkey hunters, fishermen, and 2-year-olds have all had a great season! The most recent rains have been nicely spaced unlike last fall.

Work? Well... I'm working on it - I've had some good weeks recently, hopefully that continues!

Yea, Jenn! Keep it up.

Paul

prettyimpress
08-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Beautiful cards. So interesting. I like it. You know a lot of people just make their business cards straight and narrow. So this interesting card sure can give customers good impression.

dynocat
08-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Nice card, Jenn. I can see why it works for the guy. I like two sided as well, but print my own so have no choice in the backside not being glossy. I agree though it's nice to be able to write on at least one side.