PDA

View Full Version : How do you use the internet in your business?

laptopbob
03-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Do you use twitter and facebook as marketing tools? Do you have an online store or online ordering system set up (if not, why)? do you regularly email your customers? do you even have a website (I hope the answer to this one is yes! :)).

If you're not using the internet extensively, why aren't you? (ex lack of good tools exist, cost, lack of expertise, laziness, etc...)

dynocat
03-17-2010, 02:58 PM
I needed an "other" choice. I use online marketing through local online search directories (not worth a lot, but something) and link exchanges with similar sites.

Another one I probably have used most, especially the first few years, was locating suppliers. We have few local manufacturers and distributors so buy most supplies online.

To answer your second question, when I talk to other small business owners, lack of expertise and not realizing the value of the internet are huge.

huggytree
03-17-2010, 09:32 PM
i still believe the internet shopper is cheap.

some say its a busy person and that is the case sometimes, but a busy person can be a cheap busy person.

everytime i get an e-mail from my website it always goes no where. i get 1 job a year from my website. id say my odds are 1 in 20....phone book cold calls are 1 in 10...

when i shop on the internet its always about price...typically i buy my power tools on Amazon.com because of the selection and its always the low price...convenience also.....

for the building trades the internet is almost worthless as a job finder...the website is a sales tool for customers who already know of you...

dynocat
03-18-2010, 10:44 AM
i still believe the internet shopper is cheap. I would not classify all internet shoppers as cheap. I would guess it depends on your product/service. When shopping for a necessity, like plumbing repair or installation, price is probably a bigger factor than when looking at home decor, custom furniture or designer clothing.

Dan Furman
03-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I would not classify all internet shoppers as cheap. I would guess it depends on your product/service. When shopping for a necessity, like plumbing repair or installation, price is probably a bigger factor than when looking at home decor, custom furniture or designer clothing.

I think it's the reverse. If it's an item, and several retailers have the same one, then it's price for many people.

Services? Nah, not even close. I mean, of course price matters to some. But you'd be surprised how many don't care.

Harold Mansfield
03-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Services? Nah, not even close. I mean, of course price matters to some. But you'd be surprised how many don't care.

I have to agree with Dan. When it comes to services, there are enough people out there that just want it done right, and want decent customer service during and will pay what that costs.

As far as shopping, I am definitely in the "Looking for a deal " group of online shoppers. I buy pretty much everything onlne now with the e exception of clothes and food.

I'll definitely look around to see who has it cheaper, but there are only a handful of online retailers that I use. If a site that I don't know or am not sure about has it a few dollars cheaper, the trusted retailer will still win out just to have the piece of mind.

statts
03-21-2010, 10:47 PM
I need the other option too. I use email obviously, but I started to use Earth Class Mail a few months ago. I manage my mail using this service. Helps me with my need to be mobile.

KristineS
03-23-2010, 01:23 PM
I use all of those. You need an all of the above option.

mcfarldr1
03-24-2010, 08:54 PM
My business is based entirely online and for online businesses, so I guess that the Internet is my lifeline.

It's amazing how far the internet has come, even in the last 5 years. Really is.