PDA

View Full Version : how to get your product(s) in stores?

yoyoyoyoyo
03-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Can someone recommend a great book on how to get your product(s) into stores? advice on both major corporate chains, and small mom and pops appreciated.

Thanks,
yoyoyoyoyo

vangogh
03-17-2010, 01:42 AM
I don't know any books offhand, but thought I'd reply anyway. If I'm not mistaken most stores will have their own policies on what they decide to carry. I would also think each has a person or department in charge of making those decisions.

As someone wanting to get my products in a particular store, I think I would walk into one and ask who to contact and keep asking till you get a name or names. From there I'd contact those people and find out what was required to get my product in store.

The bigger the store the more you're probably going to have to jump though hoops and prove to them that it's worth their time to carry your product. With mom and pops I think if you talked to them and were friendly enough you could work out a deal where they'd let you sell in part of their store. With mom and pops it's going to come down more to the personality of mom and pop.

painperdu
03-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Here is how Walgreens accepts new vendors: https://webapp.walgreens.com/VendorPortalStellent/prodpublisher/html/Index.htm?https://webapp.walgreens.com/VendorPortalStellent/prodpublisher/new_vendor/welcome_prospective_walgreen_company_vendor/welcome.htm&right&new_vendor&undefined&undefined&undefined

I guess most other corporate retailers operate similarly.

dynocat
03-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Depending on your product there are many retail trade shows where manufacturers or distributors display their product. I know several small manufacturers who've done really well going that route. You could do an online search for your part of the country or for your product niche.

Dan Furman
03-17-2010, 12:41 PM
for small mom and pops, just walk in and talk to mom or pop.

For larger chains, they usually have a process. Check their websites for info.

One thing before going the big chain route - make sure you have everything covered beforehand:

- Make sure you can satisfy big orders
- Make sure shipping and logistics are tight
- Make sure you can stand not getting paid for awhile (big chains always want terms that favor them - net 60 / 120 is not uncommon.)
- Make sure all liability/testing/etc is covered (retailers don't like to stock products that can hurt people because they weren't tested, etc).

etc etc.

good luck!!

Dan Furman
03-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Depending on your product there are many retail trade shows where manufacturers or distributors display their product. I know several small manufacturers who've done really well going that route. You could do an online search for your part of the country or for your product niche.

good point.

billbenson
03-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Why not sell it through Amazon initially to get some volume and credibility?

dynocat
03-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Another thought is to contact your state's department of trade (don't think that's the right name, but I'm drawing a blank right now). Our state is very active in helping and encouraging maufacturing businesses with an annual trade show for retail store buyers, as well as teaching and training in getting involved in global trade.

Amazon or your own ecommerce site, if you don't already have one, is the way to go. You can do a retail site that also offers wholesale info.

billbenson
03-17-2010, 03:12 PM
In addition to what dynocat said, you could set up a web affiliate program.

It kind of depends on the product. I don't believe you mentioned what it was.

huggytree
03-17-2010, 09:28 PM
you could try to get it on HSN instead?

might be a good way to test your product

dynocat
03-18-2010, 10:39 AM
you could try to get it on HSN instead?

might be a good way to test your product

I know someone who did this with what proved to be a really popular and good selling product. HSN didn't do much for them at all. They had to layout something like $35,000 up front and recouped very little.

Not that I think about it, it may have been an infomercial. Not sure if it was HSN.

BBPO
03-18-2010, 02:30 PM
I don't think anyone asked yet, but what's the product? That would really help to point you in the correct direction. Regardless, I can personally attest to the fact that small mom-and-pop stores require you to just walk in and find the owner. Be frank, and be yourself! I suggested this to a mentee (a person I was mentoring) and it worked on the first try!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

vangogh
03-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Good point. Different products will find their way into different stores in different ways.

I think we all agree that with mom and pops you just have to walk into the store and talk to them. I'd think most would be open to carrying your products as long as you made it worth their time and effort. With larger companies you're going to have to find out their procedure and follow it.

Christian1
04-24-2010, 02:19 AM
In my store I have people just come in and ask. I like co-signment that way it is less risky. So if you have money that is good. invst and put and what they sell is made in profit or loss.

dynocat
04-25-2010, 12:37 AM
The disadvantage of consignment for the small business manufacturer is that your inventory is tied up in stores, your profit is less than 50% (typically 35%), the items may never sell and if they are not sold, you get them back in "less than new" condition. It's not that they're damaged necessarily but they may be dusty, creased, dented, etc. just from being on the store's shelves for months.

I don't recommend a consignment arrangement, unless 1) you are sure your product will sell in a particular store, and 2) the store owner/manager will push it. More often than not your product is an afterthought.

Paul Elliott
04-26-2010, 09:59 PM
In my store I have people just come in and ask. I like co-signment that way it is less risky. So if you have money that is good. invst and put and what they sell is made in profit or loss.

Most smaller stores are going to want to stock it on consignment, at least until it is a proven profit-maker for them.

Incidentally, some of the chains do consignment on many products. Walmart is one. They pay you when your product sells.

Paul