PDA

View Full Version : Created a Mobile Site

phanio
03-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Trends in handheld mobile devices (especially smart phones) have really taken off over the last few years. In fact, some research shows that there are now more people surfing the web via their smart phones than those using personal computers.

To that note, We have recently embraced this new delivery method and while at first thought the task would be a bit daunting (taking a full fledged website and scaling it down to fit a small phone screen as well as on phones with different functionality) it really ended up being a very good overall review of our business.

Let me explain. With so many different application, operating systems, phones, screen sizes, etc we really had to reinvent how to display our information and resources to smart phone users.

To do this, we had to essentially scale down our offerings to those that were core to our business. Nothing flashy, nothing that does not provide a user some immediate value – just our core products and services. Further, we had to outline or displayed our offerings in the most succinct way due to the limitations of phones and other handheld devices.

The benefit to us was that it really forced us to re-evaluate our business model. Not to just try to cram everything we could think of on our website but to actually step into our user’s shoes and determine what was core to us and what was the most beneficial to them.

Bottom line, it has and will continue to improve our business, our processes and our relationship with our customers.

Thus, while it seemed like a very daunting task – it really ended up re-energizing our business and our team allowing us to get back to the very basics.

vangogh
03-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Good to know Joseph. My stats still aren't showing a large % of mobile users visiting my site, though it has been growing. I use a plugin for WordPress that displays the site with a mobile theme and works well for the most part. I've also found that if you develop to standards your site works decently over a mobile device. One reason everyone should have been following standards the last few years.