PDA

View Full Version : starting a snack retail fund raising "charity"

chriscrtr65@gmail.com
03-13-2010, 11:29 AM
I would like to start a small business that raises money for charities by selling treats and snacks at grocery stores like wal-mart and sams club. I do not want it to be a real charity, but just a small sole ownership that donates all its profits. I would like to know what permits, paperwork, health inspections, or anything else I need to get this thing started. Because I have a very small budget, I would not like to hire a lawyer unless I absolutely have to.

vangogh
03-13-2010, 12:50 PM
A few thoughts. You either are a non-profit business or a for-profit business. It sounds a little like you want to get the benefits of both and avoid the negatives of both. You can't do that.

If you want to be a non-profit (which it doesn't sound like you do) then you will need to fill out a lot of paperwork and probably need to hire an attorney.

If you want to be a for-profit sole proprietor then you really don't need to fill out any forms, though you may at least want to register your business name with your state. It's not expensive and you should be able to find information on the website for the secretary of state in your state.

You may need a license to sell food. The information should also be at the secretary of state site. If not try the website for the dept of revenue for your state.

You don't need any permission to give away money to charities.

As far as selling treats and snacks at the stores you listed that's not going to be easy. Those companies don't let anyone who wants sell. In fact it's probably going to cost you a lot of money to get them to let you sell. You might want to go into each store and ask them what you need to do for them to carry your treats and snack, but know it's not going to be an easy thing.

phanio
03-15-2010, 12:11 PM
If you really want to help - why not join or volunteer at an organization that already does what you want to do. If anything, it can provide you some experience first.

huggytree
03-15-2010, 07:58 PM
why risk things for no profit....if your only paying yourself a salary why not work for a charity instead?

business means risk......you may end up losing your investment and end up making nothing for charity....you may work hard, spend your money and have nothing but debt in return...

your a better person than i am for considering this. I wish you luck!