PDA

View Full Version : Member Info on Top or Side?

vangogh
08-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey All,

You might notice a small change in the forum template. I moved the member information to the side instead of having it be across the top.

I've usually preferred it running along the left side and it'll allow us to add a few things in there that I think will be easier to read than if everything was running across the top.

What does everyone else think? Do you like the info on the side better or would you prefer it at the top of the post again? Is either way fine?

Thanks
Steve

Steve B
08-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Everything looks the same to me - but, I don't really know what I'm looking for. What member information - on the side of what?

I probably just don't remember what it used to look like - so it must be a minor change. So, I'm cool with it.

cbscreative
08-23-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm OK either way, but I think the sidebar layout has advantages just as you indicated. I like this layout, but if I get outvoted, I'm fine with that too. I have no strong feelings on this issue, so I await other input.

Evan
08-23-2008, 09:43 PM
I like the information on the left side, versus on the top. Cheers.

vangogh
08-23-2008, 10:47 PM
So far the left side it is.

Steve do you notice how your avatar and the info underneath it is now along the left side? It used to run across the top of your posts.

cbscreative
08-23-2008, 10:59 PM
I suspect Steve's issue was related to being logged in during the change. A refresh or separate visit should resolve that issue.

This format actually reminds me of the old SBF before all the changes, so I'm used to it. Additionally, I'm used to it on other forums too, so I find it quite familiar.

vangogh
08-23-2008, 11:15 PM
The old SBF was like this until Feb/March when new ownership moved the site around. Running along the top is apparently the default in vB though I think it works better along the side.

Spider
08-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Side. Side (had to say it twice because the forum beeped at me. One 'side' was a long enough post!) Okay side side side side.

vangogh
08-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Polls are still open, but we're getting a unanimous response so far.

Steve B
08-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Wow - I guess I just can't remember it already. I had to go back to the old forum to verify what you were talking about. It definitely doesn't matter to me since I won't notice it!

vangogh
08-24-2008, 01:30 AM
I guess it wasn't such a big deal to you then. The old forum used to have the info on the sides and it's how most forums seem to have it so you might be more used to it this way. It would explain why moving things didn't make a huge impression on you.

KristineS
08-24-2008, 07:40 AM
So that's what is different. I knew there was something, but I wasn't awake enough to figure it out. I like the info on the side.

vangogh
08-24-2008, 10:52 AM
I guess it's not the most major change, especially since the old forum used to use this set up anyway so it's not exactly a shock to see.

KristineS
08-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I think most forums are set up that way. Maybe that's why I didn't notice the change until you pointed it out. Subconsciously, I assumed it would be that way.

vangogh
08-24-2008, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure why it defaults to on the top, but for whatever reason it did. I had thought of changing it right away, but with so many other things to do I left it at the default. I'm glad I made the change now, though.

orion_joel
08-30-2008, 08:17 AM
I prefer it on the side. The only reason i could see it being better across the top was maybe for people with low screen resolution, where the side would take up to much of the screen width, because i think the member info section is fixed width and the post area adjust in size

vangogh
08-30-2008, 11:43 AM
So far the stats have shown there are very few low screen res visitors. Seems to be mostly 1024x768 and up, though there are a very small percentage of visitors with lower resolution.