PDA

View Full Version : Critique/Review

Patrysha
03-06-2010, 03:11 AM
The intended audience is women over the age of 35 with a family income of $70,000 or more per year, she's got at least a couple of years of community college and chances are her husband works in an oil or forestry company (but not necessarily). She's not really vain, but she does like to look good. She quite likely is involved in at least one sport or one volunteer activity around town. She's busy, but not overwhelmed...

The product/service is Electrolysis...which is permanent hair removal done by a trained esthetician with highly specialized machinery.

I don't want to share the link too publicly as it is a work in progress, so if you have time to critique it and provide your impressions...please PM me or email me.

Thanks!

painperdu
03-06-2010, 04:57 AM
Are you looking for women critics only? If not, I'd like a look.

Edit: Oops, you said to PM you.

Patrysha
03-06-2010, 10:08 AM
I PMed you. And nope, men are welcome to look as long as they keep the target market in mind. That's why I put that information there. It's a mock at this point, haven't worked out the fonts and any color additions...just general layout and the words.

painperdu
03-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I like it. It gets the point/s across quickly. I think a tiny bit of pink or some other feminine color would top it off nicely.

Patrysha
03-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Hmmm...wonder if I can find a study or something on what colors attract women most...I'm not sure pink is it.

Off to google and twitter...

painperdu
03-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Have you seen/used this site before: Color Trends + Palettes :: COLOURlovers (http://www.colourlovers.com/)

Their forum has a few topics about gender and color: Color Forums :: COLOURlovers (http://www.colourlovers.com/forums/?query=female&x=23&y=13)

This one deals with gender and color: Color Forums / Color Talk / Lover's Lounge / Colour have a gender or not? please help for my THESIS :: COLOURlovers (http://www.colourlovers.com/forums/1,1,2642/Colour_have_a_gender_or_not_please_help_for_my_THE SIS)

You're right, as I just learned from the above thread, the pink/blue female/male dichotomy is a false one.

vangogh
03-07-2010, 10:43 PM
You can send me a PM if you want. I'll take a look when I have a few minutes.

KristineS
03-08-2010, 09:27 AM
PM me as well. I'll take a look.

Patrysha
03-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks Kristen and Steve. I've sent PMs with the link to the ad mock up this morning.

Blessed
03-08-2010, 03:08 PM
PM me as well - I'm even close to your demographic :)

Patrysha
03-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks. I suppose the income demographic would differ depending on the cost of living of where you are from. Places with a lower cost of living wouldn't need a $70,000 income to be average.

Blessed
03-09-2010, 01:02 AM
If I'm remembering correctly (we looked at moving to your area) the cost of living between here and there is remarkably close - the primary difference was in housing. Aside from that...

I'm 34, gonna be 35 in June
Our household income is slightly lower - unless I have a good year, then it's higher
my Hubby works in manufacturing
I have to be really careful or I end up in more volunteer things than I intend to
But I have pretty much forgotten what free time is - I stay busy, borderline overwhelmed... guess that's what happens when you have little ones and are trying to keep the business you have and work on getting some more business too!

Anyway... I'd love to have Electrolysis done but haven't ever checked into the cost to see if would be feasible.

Thanks for the chance to review the ad - you've got a really good start.

Patrysha
03-09-2010, 09:21 AM
And thanks so much for the feedback.

I realized later I was sending you all to the second version of the ad and not the third, so y'all didn't see the logo and the small changes in font that I did play with. No worries though because almost everything you said was right on target with what I was thinking.

Electrolysis pricing varies on where you live and the skill of the tech, it tends to be between $60 & $100 hour. I've been learning lots about it working for the electrolysist here in town and for a provincial membership organization of Electrolysists, plus I've been getting treatment in barter.

My big thing was getting rid of the little piggy hair (cuz no girl really wants hair on her chinny-chin-chin) now that treatment is nearly complete, I am considering my eyebrows. For larger areas, I would probably advise my friends to do laser first (if they qualify...not all skin/hair types can do laser) and use electrolysis for clean up and to make it permanent. But I am picky like that.

Paul Elliott
04-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Patrysha, if you're still working on this and want some more comments, send me the link. I'll be able to look at it later in the week/first of next.

Paul

Patrysha
04-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm done with that particular project.

But I am continuing to work with both the Electrolysis Society in the province and the local electrologist :-)

The paper ended up messing up the ad, plus the week it ran the feature article in the section it was for was a wire pulled profile of someone from California. This ticked off the client because that was not what she expected when agreeing to advertise in the feature. She's pulled her ads from that section so we really didn't have a chance to test and tweak.

Paul Elliott
04-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Fine, Patrysha. I'll try to be more frequent and attentive.

Paul

Express Web Studio
06-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Try https://kuler.adobe.com/create/color-wheel/

Al lot of graphic/web designers use this...